F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 first mods
ARMA SPEED

09-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
NorthFLS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30

N20 first mods

Hey guys i currently have a 2015 328i and i was wondering what mods you guys think would be the best move forward. I bought it in January at around 48k miles and have taken pretty good care of it since. For oil ive put liquid moly in it, and have no current mods except for an injen intake and a CTS turbo blowoff valve, both are on the way to my house. What should i do in the near future? In the far future ive got meth and forged internals planned, but what soon? I know the charge pipes go bad and im going to work on that soon too.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #2
draggy
sucka for a longroof
Rep
Drives: F31

I like to go ground up for first mods - tires/wheels, brakes, suspension are first - these all help with safety too to make the car more predictable as you add power.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #3
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

BM3
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #4
NorthFLS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
BM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
BM3
Imma high schooler lmfao i dont got the money for an m3
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthFLS View Post
Imma high schooler lmfao i dont got the money for an m3
Nice high schooler is ball'n nowadays. I have a 1987, 10 yr old civic back then 1998.
And because your a high schooler then you need to read more and more in this forum before you start even doing something to your car.

BM3 is a flash tune.

Appreciate 4
      09-05-2019, 12:47 PM   #6
cray101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

If you want a little extra power without dropping about 500 for bootmod3, JB+ piggyback is probably the best bang for your buck. It's $200 brand new and gives you 25-30 extra HP. you can catch them used here in member classifieds now and then for around $150. I've ran mine dialed to the highest setting for about a year now without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #7
BettyFkinCrocker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i RWD

Quote:
and have no current mods except for an injen intake and a CTS turbo blowoff valve, both are on the way to my house. What should i do in the near future? In the far future ive got meth and forged internals planned, but what soon? I know the charge pipes go bad and im going to work on that soon too.
1. Sell/return the intake/BOV. Both at best do nothing and at worst cause more issues and reduce performance.

2. Look to spend your money elsewhere in regards to forged internals etc. This is probably one of the lesser platforms in it's category to go past bolt-ons.

3. Charge pipes in fact do not go bad. I am sure if you spend an hour searching, you may find one or two. The hype/hysteria behind CPs comes from the n54/55 community where CPs are actually a must. The n20 does not suffer anywhere near the same failure rate as n54/55.

4. You should really spend just a few minutes searching for the exact things you just asked about on this forum. There are about 5 posts a week asking the same questions you have with plenty of answers. Considering you are in high school/young, you better do a LOT of research before you start spending money on car parts.
1/4: 10.90@128
60-130: 7.43
Appreciate 2
rjd_F301999.50
      09-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #8
NorthFLS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyFkinCrocker View Post
Quote:
and have no current mods except for an injen intake and a CTS turbo blowoff valve, both are on the way to my house. What should i do in the near future? In the far future ive got meth and forged internals planned, but what soon? I know the charge pipes go bad and im going to work on that soon too.
1. Sell/return the intake/BOV. Both at best do nothing and at worst cause more issues and reduce performance.

2. Look to spend your money elsewhere in regards to forged internals etc. This is probably one of the lesser platforms in it's category to go past bolt-ons.

3. Charge pipes in fact do not go bad. I am sure if you spend an hour searching, you may find one or two. The hype/hysteria behind CPs comes from the n54/55 community where CPs are actually a must. The n20 does not suffer anywhere near the same failure rate as n54/55.

4. You should really spend just a few minutes searching for the exact things you just asked about on this forum. There are about 5 posts a week asking the same questions you have with plenty of answers. Considering you are in high school/young, you better do a LOT of research before you start spending money on car parts.
About the cold air intake, what problems would i cause? Im going to get an exhaust soon and charge pipe and returning it doesnt sound to fun, after the exhaust im going to tune it too. So if you have a second could you tell me what problems it causes and how i can maybe counter act them(with out selling the intake), thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #9
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyFkinCrocker View Post

This is the best advice you're gonna get right here.
      09-05-2019, 08:00 PM   #10
Aldor27
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
An intake will only add induction noises/BOV like sounds at best. They usually end up robbing you of performance after a few pulls. The BOV you bought is purely for sound. Honestly, I would return the BOV and just keep the intake (wrap your intake piping in gold reflective tape to mitigate the heat from the engine bay). I'd then pick up a catless downpipe for a little extra noise and would let the turbo breath a lot more. Pick up a G-Plus intercooler on amazon for like ~$200 so you don't run into heat soak so often. As for exhaust, my personal preference would be an M performance exhaust but they can be as low as ~$500 used up to $1k new (sunmotorsbmwparts on ebay has the exhaust listed at $900). As for Tunes I don't know too much but have heard great things about BM3, but if you have a warranty on your car, probably just go JB4 since its a lot harder to trace when removed and car is in for service. For wheels just pick up some take offs from an M235i/M240i for a wider/functional look, but thats just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #11
NorthFLS
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldor27 View Post
An intake will only add induction noises/BOV like sounds at best. They usually end up robbing you of performance after a few pulls. The BOV you bought is purely for sound. Honestly, I would return the BOV and just keep the intake (wrap your intake piping in gold reflective tape to mitigate the heat from the engine bay). I'd then pick up a catless downpipe for a little extra noise and would let the turbo breath a lot more. Pick up a G-Plus intercooler on amazon for like ~$200 so you don't run into heat soak so often. As for exhaust, my personal preference would be an M performance exhaust but they can be as low as ~$500 used up to $1k new (sunmotorsbmwparts on ebay has the exhaust listed at $900). As for Tunes I don't know too much but have heard great things about BM3, but if you have a warranty on your car, probably just go JB4 since its a lot harder to trace when removed and car is in for service. For wheels just pick up some take offs from an M235i/M240i for a wider/functional look, but thats just my 2 cents.
Thanks man! Im def going down pipes soon and a new charge pipe, after that ill tune it. Wheels aren't a huge worry of mine right now though... maybe for the future! Thanks for your input man 😁
Appreciate 0