F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > TUI. !!!!!
GetBMWParts

05-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
TUI. !!!!!

We had a holiday booked to depart March 22nd to Tenerife which they cancelled. to

Since then they seem to have proven quite good at maintaining total silence. Originally I was told to return to the store to be refunded onto my credit card . When I went to the store was advised refunds were only being done by BACS and could I return later and they wouldn’t take my details and sort things out , so I booked a slot to return on Sunday to get things sorted. Left all my contacts etc.

Returned Sunday and the stores not open to the public with a phone no on the door which wasn’t answered - staff visible but not answering .

Since then I’ve tried contacting TUI to no avail and all I’ve had is an email saying Holidays been cancelled and I’m due a refund. Contacted them via messenger and get the standard were busy please be patient blah blah blah.

I presume as per abta etc they’re meant to refund within 14 days but are ignoring that changing their T and C to offer refund credit notes and then you can get a refund later if you contact them.

My issues are

They’re using force majeure to avoid paying hotels etc

They’re unilaterally changing T+c after the event

They’re doing everything in their powers to make the refund process as difficult as possible for the customer

The customers are basically giving them an interest free loan on their terms.

They’re offering 20 % discount on future inflated price holidays to accept the voucher which if they go bust or the 12 month time frame From booking expires has no value plus locks you into a holiday with them with reduced “experiences”

They’re insisting on customers paying the balance on holidays they have already cancelled or forfeit their deposits paid

Especially feel for those who may be struggling financially at this moment in time and the cash come in handy to keep the wolf from the door

Anyway rant over .

Was wondering what other folks experience has been on here and how long before a class action will be taken against them !!!!

Last edited by Kal101; 05-17-2020 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: More ranting.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Assuming it was bought on a credit card, a Section 75 refund may be the simplest approach if TUI are making life difficult.
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      05-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #3
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Assuming it was bought on a credit card, a Section 75 refund may be the simplest approach if TUI are making life difficult.
Had thought that and spoken to the c card company already. Apparently they’re also backlogged due to others doing the same thing but they -say 30 to 60 days unlike TUI - who may try to stall the process again.
      05-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Don't hold me to this but I'm pretty sure the travel agents lobbied the government or regulators as soon as this happened. They got them to change the maximum refund time from 30 days to 3 months or something like that so it might take a while to get a refund from TUI.
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      05-17-2020, 11:17 AM   #5
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Having the same joy with them - going to report them to CMA if money not back soon. Think there was a link on there website to complain about people not refunding money quickly enough.

Also going to ask for statutory interest on amount they owe for late payment just to piss them off. And book with Jet2 next time!
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      05-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #6
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Pretty poor all round really. They know it will take longer to take them to court than to find a cure for the virus..I think TUI were or have asked the German Govt for a nail out?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #7
Mattyk
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

About to switch mine to next year, only paid 500 notes, I can cancel and get £100 back some time, or pay £100 on my credit card to switch it to next year

Gone
F36 435d
F30 335d
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      05-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #8
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Posted this in the 2020 holidays thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
So after 22 call attempts I got in the queue at last. I then had to wait on hold for 2hr and 3mins (so glad I booked today off work ) - and when I get through...sales pitch.

I am furious that TUi think its appropriate to try and get me to accept the crap vouchers for holidays they put up in price by more than the value.

I will never, ever, be a TUi customer again - Jet2 all the way for us when a Euro-distance holiday is needed.
Difference to you is we booked online.

Whoever is in charge of customer experience there should be fired. Total incompetence
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      05-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I had really problems getting my money back from Thomas Cook when they went bust.

Fear it wiped out ATOL's reserves.

I'm wondering if government, ATOL, travel agents, credit card companies and travel insurance companies work together here to say credit note is acceptable.

Paying on your credit card doesn't mean you get an immediate refund either. Something I learnt through Thomas Cook incident.

Hope everyone gets their money back soon. A lot of companies going to fold with job losses. Not meaning to scaremonger here; was bitten by TC and see similar unfolding here - but on bigger scale.
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      05-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #10
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Credit note is worthless in law but as RB says prob all got together as I'm not seeing much in the way of regulators getting involved?
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      05-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #11
DarrenM69
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: "Future" 340i Touring owner

We were supposed to be going on hols to Italy mid April, even had a call from TUI mid March to ask if we wanted to postpone till later in year/nx year OR FULL refund. (nearly £2k)

I chose full refund and was told 7 - 10days would be in my account, even had an email "cancellation" confirmation from them shortly after phonecall.

Still nothing in account to this day, when they open our local branch back up where I had booked I'm going in their revving..
Appreciate 1
Rbrown2763.00
      05-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #12
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenM69 View Post
We were supposed to be going on hols to Italy mid April, even had a call from TUI mid March to ask if we wanted to postpone till later in year/nx year OR FULL refund. (nearly £2k)

I chose full refund and was told 7 - 10days would be in my account, even had an email "cancellation" confirmation from them shortly after phonecall.

Still nothing in account to this day, when they open our local branch back up where I had booked I'm going in their revving..
That’s basically whaT I had a cancellation confirmation email and nothing since.

When I went to branch basically got fobbed off.

Feel for the staff when they do reopen can see them getting some flack. Saw a note on my local basically saying call this no and guess what no response
      05-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #13
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
I had really problems getting my money back from Thomas Cook when they went bust.

Fear it wiped out ABTA's reserves.

I'm wondering if government, ABTA, travel agents, credit card companies and travel insurance companies work together here to say credit note is acceptable.

Paying on your credit card doesn't mean you get an immediate refund either. Something I learnt through Thomas Cook incident.

Hope everyone gets their money back soon. A lot of companies going to fold with job losses. Not meaning to scaremonger here; was bitten by TC and see similar unfolding here - but on bigger scale.

Had a Tc holiday booked many moons ago which got cancelled thanks to Hurricane Dean they were great. Appreciate nothing on this scale but I do feel TUI are putting up a lot of hoops in the hope customers will accept the refund credits
      05-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #14
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Anyone moving their bookings till next year I think you must be mad - be lucky if they're still going then! Our friends have done this and just seem oblivious to what might happen. They think it's ATOL protected - if ATOL are paying out for all of TUI and other companies I don't think there will be any money at all!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #15
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Having the same joy with them - going to report them to CMA if money not back soon. Think there was a link on there website to complain about people not refunding money quickly enough.

Also going to ask for statutory interest on amount they owe for late payment just to piss them off. And book with Jet2 next time!

Just wait8ng for the class action a bit like PPI - I’m jumping on that if it happens
      05-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #16
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
I will never, ever, be a TUi customer again - Jet2 all the way for us when a Euro-distance holiday is needed.
Had a bad experience with First Choice about 15 years ago. We've never gone package holidays since. Book your own flight and book direct with the hotel. We never pay till we arrived (For situations like this) and never have any issues. The hotels love it when you go direct with them and you often get a few freebies/added extras.

All travel companies are rouges IMO
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #17
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
Anyone moving their bookings till next year I think you must be mad - be lucky if they're still going then! Our friends have done this and just seem oblivious to what might happen. They think it's ATOL protected - if ATOL are paying out for all of TUI and other companies I don't think there will be any money at all!
I don’t think the voucher scheme is ATOL protected so if TUI go bust or cancel no need to pay back. Plus you’ve only got 12 months from the original booking date to take that holiday ( at a pre inflated price) . Final nail for me on that idea was you don’t know wha5 the restrictions on travel will be in 12 months time.

Big NO from me but I suppose that’s wha5 TUI want.
      05-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #18
speedski
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
Had a bad experience with First Choice about 15 years ago. We've never gone package holidays since. Book your own flight and book direct with the hotel. We never pay till we arrived (For situations like this) and never have any issues. The hotels love it when you go direct with them and you often get a few freebies/added extras.

All travel companies are rouges IMO
I have to say for anything outside of euro distance we do this - all our longhaul trips 6+ hours are self organised and self booked.

In Europe its hard to beat the package holiday deal - which is also good when it goes south and you might be in a destination only served by that airline from our local airport...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 02:33 AM   #19
Bill10
Private
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 xDrive20d M-Sport 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
You can also try chargeback when using a credit card. That way the card company claims it direct from the retailer’s bank and get your refund quicker.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 03:36 AM   #20
speedski
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill10 View Post
You can also try chargeback when using a credit card. That way the card company claims it direct from the retailer’s bank and get your refund quicker.
Section 75 on Credit card, if debit card and over £100 you can apply for a chargeback.

To be honest, the credit vouchers make this difficult as ultimately its a live voucher code for your balance until you convert it. SO I don't think S75/chargebacks would be successful as the retailer can say 'a voucher has been issued'
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:18 AM   #21
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Prob with voucher for me is that it’s time limited and useless (with a kid about to start school in September it will be a while before we will be able to afford/want to travel). Waiting to see outcome of my Barclaycard claim against holiday extras. I can’t see how they can force you to take it
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00
      05-18-2020, 04:54 AM   #22
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

I only ever book long haul trips for work and holidays with Trailfinders as they seem to be the only company that lock your funds away in a trust account until after your trip. I got the refund within a couple of weeks for both the trips I had booked when this all kicked off.
Appreciate 1
Kal1013105.00