F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Getting some strange "knock" events on stage 2 91 bm3 datalog
ARMA SPEED

06-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Getting some strange "knock" events on stage 2 91 bm3 datalog

I have an EWG N55 335i with bolt ons and a stage 2 91oct OTS tune from ptf. I'm running 93 octane and the problem still persists. It started as just 1 or 2 knocks when I first got into boost but now it carries almost to 6k.

Haven't gotten a CEL and can't really feel anything inside other than maybe a slight loss in power which could be placebo. However, it still concerns me and I'm not sure how to diagnose this issue.

Here is a very recent 3rd gear pull:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=5ed3...90c66237c1d0aa
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Please give full mod list, what plugs are you running, what gap, and how many miles on the pugs.

First off, IATs are quite high, getting up to 130+ by the end of the pull, which could definitely be a factor.

You do have 3 knocks and in addition timing is quite bad - lots of timing being pulled and not even between cylinders.

Also what version of the tune are you running? Boost target and control doesnt seem to match the newer stage 2 versions.

I would email PTF, they are probably going to tell you to try ACN tune.

If you want to be sure that its a fuel/octane issue, run your tank of gas nearly empty and find a local place to get a few gallons of 100 octane, there's usually some random places that have it available at the pump. Either that or mix in some ethanol.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Please give full mod list, what plugs are you running, what gap, and how many miles on the pugs.

First off, IATs are quite high, getting up to 130+ by the end of the pull, which could definitely be a factor.

You do have 3 knocks and in addition timing is quite bad - lots of timing being pulled and not even between cylinders.

Also what version of the tune are you running? Boost target and control doesnt seem to match the newer stage 2 versions.

I would email PTF, they are probably going to tell you to try ACN tune.

If you want to be sure that its a fuel/octane issue, run your tank of gas nearly empty and find a local place to get a few gallons of 100 octane, there's usually some random places that have it available at the pump. Either that or mix in some ethanol.
I'm running ngk 97506 plugs gapped to .020" as recommended by a friend with the same setup as me. I have vrsf charge pipe and downpipe with stock fmic (which explains iats). Been trying to replace that as soon as I can.

My idle was iffy before I changed the plugs probably because they were the factory ones with 50k miles. As soon as I changed them, it ran great. Perfectly smooth idle, and pulled clean. Now they only have a couple thousand miles on them.

I'm in dallas and running 93 oct on the 91 tune so I figured that wasn't the issue. It's been doing this for the past few tanks of gas.

I'm currently on version 6.4.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedCrewCab View Post
I'm running ngk 97506 plugs gapped to .020" as recommended by a friend with the same setup as me. I have vrsf charge pipe and downpipe with stock fmic (which explains iats). Been trying to replace that as soon as I can.

My idle was iffy before I changed the plugs probably because they were the factory ones with 50k miles. As soon as I changed them, it ran great. Perfectly smooth idle, and pulled clean. Now they only have a couple thousand miles on them.

I'm in dallas and running 93 oct on the 91 tune so I figured that wasn't the issue. It's been doing this for the past few tanks of gas.

I'm currently on version 6.4.
Well first, i would not recommend running stage 2 tune without a IC, especially in spring/summer heat, and especially in texas lol...

Its possible you have gotten unlucky with gas. Again if you want to confirm that theory you can either run the tank out and just try another station (costco gas is generally consistently high quality), or if you can find race gas locally, put a few gallons of 100 octane in to an otherwise nearly empty tank. (Stay on the 91 tune, and log again).

The other thing i would mention is that you has some weird spikes in RPM, and no corresponding change in speed... if you are 6MT could be a sign your clutch is almost slipping.

Also there are new versions, but highly recommend keeping 6.4 if you go to a new one.
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2020, 12:25 PM   #5
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well first, i would not recommend running stage 2 tune without a IC, especially in spring/summer heat, and especially in texas lol...

Its possible you have gotten unlucky with gas. Again if you want to confirm that theory you can either run the tank out and just try another station (costco gas is generally consistently high quality), or if you can find race gas locally, put a few gallons of 100 octane in to an otherwise nearly empty tank. (Stay on the 91 tune, and log again).

The other thing i would mention is that you has some weird spikes in RPM, and no corresponding change in speed... if you are 6MT could be a sign your clutch is almost slipping.

Also there are new versions, but highly recommend keeping 6.4 if you go to a new one.
Okay I'll go down to stage 1 91 and see how that goes. I'm thinking I might also switch back to the Bosch plugs and see how it likes that.

And yes I do have a 6MT so thanks for the heads up!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #6
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Okay I'll go down to stage 1 91 and see how that goes. I'm thinking I might also switch back to the Bosch plugs and see how it likes that.

And yes I do have a 6MT so thanks for the heads up!
Flashing back to stage 1 is an easy test. Also, you could try doing a log early morning/late night when the temps are much lower to see if its a direct impact of the IATs.

Definitely agree with trying stock plugs as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 01:21 PM   #7
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Flashing back to stage 1 is an easy test. Also, you could try doing a log early morning/late night when the temps are much lower to see if its a direct impact of the IATs.

Definitely agree with trying stock plugs as well.
Okay I'll see how it does on stage 1. I know people usually go for the NGKs when running stage 2 so will that be an issue? Also how urgent of an issue is this? Do I risk serious damage to my engine?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 01:40 PM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Okay I'll see how it does on stage 1. I know people usually go for the NGKs when running stage 2 so will that be an issue? Also how urgent of an issue is this? Do I risk serious damage to my engine?
Plenty of people, myself included, run OEM plugs with Stage 2/2+. My recommendation is run OEM plugs unless you specifically have an issue with them then try the NGKs. So no, you should not have an issue with new OEM Bosch plugs. They should come gapped out of the box but just double check them before putting them in.

The DME is very good at protecting the engine, pulling timing etc, but personally i wouldnt feel comfortable driving the car hard if i was getting 3 knock events per pull consistently. Driving the car around normally is totally fine, but i would avoid repeated WOT pulls if you are constantly getting knock.
Appreciate 2
      06-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #9
ozymandias435
F36 GC
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe

Quote:
I swapped my plugs to NGK .022 right after I flashed stage 2. Car ran pretty good but my timing was a little inconsistent in my logs. I actually just put brand new Bosch plugs in out of the box and the first log produced better timing and a little more power. May help you as well to work back to the stock plugs stock gap.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #10
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I've spent almost all my time on Stage 1 maps with the occasional Stage 2 feasibility test. With 93 octane, I still had timing related issues on the 91 maps. My solution is to add a little ethanol to my 93. I haven't been able to log since this change, so I cannot say if it is helping.

Bottom line, like others have stated, it's most likely the gas.
      06-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #11
6SpeedCrewCab
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
I've spent almost all my time on Stage 1 maps with the occasional Stage 2 feasibility test. With 93 octane, I still had timing related issues on the 91 maps. My solution is to add a little ethanol to my 93. I haven't been able to log since this change, so I cannot say if it is helping.

Bottom line, like others have stated, it's most likely the gas.
Send an update when you get a log with the ethanol! I was thinking about trying that too
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 02:30 PM   #12
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Send an update when you get a log with the ethanol! I was thinking about trying that too
I would start with 2 gallons of E85 and the rest pump gas. Log and assess the next step from there. Anything more than 2 gallons your fueling might start to be off a bit on a non ethanol mix tune (although STFTs will always try and compensate)
Appreciate 0