F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car insurance - it really does take the p*ss
GetBMWParts

10-16-2019, 03:45 PM   #45
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Actually I have a tuning box with app control, so obviously I only turn it on when I'm not on a public road
Good grief, I think you should get a lawyer now if you think that's a good defence......
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #46
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
Actually I have a tuning box with app control, so obviously I only turn it on when I'm not on a public road
Good grief, I think you should get a lawyer now if you think that's a good defence......
I'd love to see them try to prove otherwise! Fortunately we live in a civilised society where we are innocent until proven guilty
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:00 PM   #47
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'd love to see them try to prove otherwise! Fortunately we live in a civilised society where we are innocent until proven guilty
Ha, you live in a dream world. They say that on the TV, but that really isn't how it works. If anything happens get a lawyer, don't use your truly feeble defence.

Very quick question sir, which roads have you been using this box on and and when? Oh I see, let's just check that against the cars diagnostics shall we? How often has the torque exceeded the manufacturers settings? Oops, every day.

I accept for a minor accident nothing will happen. If you happen to kill someone or seriously injure someone, see what happens then.

You permanently take the piss, you're obviously not a believer in any kind of karma, or getting back what you give.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #48
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ha, you live in a dream world. They say that on the TV, but that really isn't how it works. If anything happens get a lawyer, don't use your truly feeble defence.

Very quick question sir, which roads have you been using this box on and and when? Oh I see, let's just check that against the cars diagnostics shall we? How often has the torque exceeded the manufacturers settings? Oops, every day.

I accept for a minor accident nothing will happen. If you happen to kill someone or seriously injure someone, see what happens then.

You permanently take the piss, you're obviously not a believer in any kind of karma, or getting back what you give.
Good to see the old Alex back, would be such a boring place without your delusional ramblings!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #49
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good to see the old Alex back, would be such a boring place without your delusional ramblings!
Says the man lying to BMW in his £60k car, and his insurance company, then sharing his future lies to the police on a public forum and thinking it's ok. I see what you mean about delusional.

Just because you can't follow something it doesn't make it rambling, try harder, read it again, you'll get there.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #50
larven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

I’m surprised that some people think increasing the power of your engine and the performance of your car significantly isn’t something that should be declared to the insurer.

Personally l feel that if l can afford to buy a top of the range 3 series, and then spend a bit more remapping it, then a few hundred quid more on my insurance is worth not having the risk of ruining my life if l cause a serious accident and end up not insured for.
Appreciate 2
      10-16-2019, 04:12 PM   #51
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Says the man lying to BMW in his £60k car, and his insurance company, then sharing his future lies to the police on a public forum and thinking its ok. I see what you mean about delusional.

Just because you can't follow something it doesn't make it rambling, try harder, read it again, you'll get there.
Coming from the man who ripped the piss out of me for buying an X3, then went and copied me and bought the exact same car, that is beyond hilarious!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #52
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Coming from the man who ripped the piss out of me for buying an X3, then went and copied me and bought the exact same car, that is beyond hilarious!
Clutching at straws there. How that is related to you lying to BMW, your insurance company and how you would continue it to the police in the future, I'm not really sure?

And for the record, I didn't rip the piss because you bought an X3, I ripped the piss because you said it was the best car in the whole wide world. Like a 4 year old with a new toy. And it's really hard not to take the piss when you start behaving like that.

Just as on this thread, you behave entitled and think that laws don't apply to you. Wouldn't say anything if you kept quiet about it like most sensible people, but you don't.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:34 PM   #53
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
It's taken me literally 30 seconds to find your real life details on the web and I have zero vested interest. Let's just say you are in an accident where your insurer may have to stump up 6 figures - a lifetime of care, for example. Do you think nobody will poke around trying to find an out? It's not a chance I would want to take, but each to their own.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #54
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966-TR4 View Post
Quote:
It's taken me literally 30 seconds to find your real life details on the web and I have zero vested interest. Let's just say you are in an accident where your insurer may have to stump up 6 figures - a lifetime of care, for example. Do you think nobody will poke around trying to find an out? It's not a chance I would want to take, but each to their own.
I don't have a remap on my car, I don't drive recklessly, I never even break the speed limit, I'm a boring, law abiding citizen, so I think I'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #55
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Clutching at straws there. How that is related to you lying to BMW, your insurance company and how you would continue it to the police in the future, I'm not really sure?

And for the record, I didn't rip the piss because you bought an X3, I ripped the piss because you said it was the best car in the whole wide world. Like a 4 year old with a new toy. And it's really hard not to take the piss when you start behaving like that.

Just as on this thread, you behave entitled and think that laws don't apply to you. Wouldn't say anything if you kept quiet about it like most sensible people, but you don't.
It is your opinion that is at odds with the law. Government legislation states that car finance companies cannot charge for excess mileage, government legislation states that insurance companies cannot withhold payouts for factors which are unrelated to the incident.

I am exercising my legal rights as set out by UK law, and the fact that you’re making me out to be some sort of law dodging vigilante is quite honestly ridiculous and completely obtuse.

Anyway, I’ve said my piece, I have nothing further to add to this thread, due to its rather negative and bizarre turn of direction.
Appreciate 2
MattRST109.50
N-W30.00
      10-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #56
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
I don't have a remap on my car, I don't drive recklessly, I never even break the speed limit, I'm a boring, law abiding citizen, so I think I'll be fine.
teaston you've fitted a modification to your car which you are legally obliged to declare, and you haven't done so.

This modification, and lack of declaration, would almost certainly invalidate your insurance, and, in the event of a situation which was investigated by the police or a crash investigator would likely be discovered and reported.

Let's assume that it was speed related. Not only could you be open to criminal prosecution, but also no third party insurance in the event of a civil action i.e. for personal injury.

Is it worth it to avoid, say, a £50 increase in your insurance premium ? Big risk IMO.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 05:09 PM   #57
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It is your opinion that is at odds with the law. Government legislation states that car finance companies cannot charge for excess mileage, government legislation states that insurance companies cannot withhold payouts for factors which are unrelated to the incident.

I am exercising my legal rights as set out by UK law, and the fact that you’re making me out to be some sort of law dodging vigilante is quite honestly ridiculous and completely obtuse.

Anyway, I’ve said my piece, I have nothing further to add to this thread, due to its rather negative and bizarre turn of direction.
I'm not talking about excess mileage, that's piss taking, not illegal.

Lying to the police about a remap that gets an SUV from 0-60 in 3.9 seconds is though. And not telling your insurance would make you uninsured in lots of circumstances.

Good luck convincing a court that turning your car into a rocket wasn't related to any accident you ended up in.

And how is it bizarre, the thread is about insurance and modding, it's bang on topic. If you care to read other people's comments, it's not just me that thinks you're idiotic/takng the piss.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 05:18 PM   #58
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Quote:
teaston you've fitted a modification to your car which you are legally obliged to declare, and you haven't done so.

This modification, and lack of declaration, would almost certainly invalidate your insurance, and, in the event of a situation which was investigated by the police or a crash investigator would likely be discovered and reported.

Let's assume that it was speed related. Not only could you be open to criminal prosecution, but also no third party insurance in the event of a civil action i.e. for personal injury.

Is it worth it to avoid, say, a £50 increase in your insurance premium ? Big risk IMO.
Not at all, as long as my modifications don't cause an incident then there's nothing wrong at all with not insuring them. I've even had an insurance company replace an aftermarket spoiler (with a genuine BMW one) on my F30 which wasn't declared.

The information you're working on comes from years ago when insurance companies were taking the piss, before the 2017 legislation posted above.

A black grille or a carbon fibre door mirror cover make no difference to anything whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 05:30 PM   #59
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not at all, as long as my modifications don't cause an incident then there's nothing wrong at all with not insuring them. I've even had an insurance company replace an aftermarket spoiler (with a genuine BMW one) on my F30 which wasn't declared.

The information you're working on comes from years ago when insurance companies were taking the piss, before the 2017 legislation posted above.

A black grille or a carbon fibre door mirror cover make no difference to anything whatsoever.
Are you for real? You're sure that you'll never have an accident that the speed of your car has contributed to? Nobody is talking about your black grill.

You can't control everything, a remap should be declared, your argument is nonsense. If everyone on here is saying that, and you're the only one that's not, maybe, just maybe, you should listen for a change. (Waste of my energy I know, but thought I'd try)

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 10-16-2019 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 05:38 PM   #60
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Are you for real? You're sure that you'll never have an accident that the speed of your car has contributed to? Nobody is talking about your black grill.

You can't control everything, a remap should be declared, your argument is nonsense. If everyone on hear is saying at, and you're the only one that's not, maybe, just maybe, you should listen for a change. (Waste of my energy I know, but thought I'd try)
It’s not just me, all those MPs in parliament said it, and that’s what’s important.

Anyway, I’ll leave it there.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #61
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Quote:

For some reason, you're not hearing us.
Attached Images

Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #62
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It’s not just me, all those MPs in parliament said it, and that’s what’s important.

Anyway, I’ll leave it there.
More nonsense. You think MP's said you could enhance the performance of your car and not tell anyone? You cannot possibly see into the future and know that it won't be a contributing factor to an accident.

You can twist laws and rules to fit your own warped view of the world, don't be surprised if one day you're stood in front of the police, insurance companies and the courts and they don't agree with you.

You've sense checked it on here, where even a policeman has commented about it and you still think you're cleverer than everyone else. You enjoy that £50 you've saved bright spark.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #63
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I think I’ll believe the legislation over some car forum posts!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 11:56 PM   #64
larven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

This is what the motoring team at Compare the Market have to say about it.

Quote:
Do I need to tell my insurance provider if my car engine is remapped?

Yes, you do need to tell your insurance provider if your car has been remapped. In car insurance terms, remapping or chipping is considered a car modification, even if you can’t actually see it. If you don’t inform your insurance provider, it could invalidate your policy and you may even end up in trouble for hiding information.

Car engine remapping could mean a slight increase in the cost of your car insurance premium. And, even though remapping is increasingly more common, there are still some insurance providers who won’t cover your car if it’s been chipped.
I’ve had a look at various other mainstream outlets like the RAC and the Money-supermarket and they all advise the same. Some insurers won’t offer policies on remapped cars and for serious accidents they will likely check for everything, especially if there is a large claim from a third party.

The overwhelming consensus is that you should declare a remap and if the worst happened and the remap was discovered then don’t be surprised if your policy is declared void. I guess there is a small chance of getting caught but if an individual is prepared to take the risk that’s up to them.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:26 AM   #65
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

I've opened a right can of worms here!

Still doesn't alter the fact I'm being ripped off! (Declaring the remap doesn't actually make that much difference other than I can't get insured with the much cheaper BMW offering)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 01:13 AM   #66
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

You haven't really, there are just idiotic posts suggesting that a spoiler or different-coloured grills is exactly the same kind of enhancement as a remap that significantly alters the performance of the car. It quite obviously isn't but you can't tell some people. If they believe, when the chips are down and the insurer is trying to get out of a significant sum because of death or dismemberment, that they can hide behind such a flimsy defence then let them crack on.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 1