F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > ECU Remap F30 330i
ARMA SPEED

01-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
jake2106
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i Msport

ECU Remap F30 330i

hey guys ive recently purchased an F30 330i Msport and im wondering if there is any more power that can safely be squeezed out of the engine without making any modifications.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #2
sxmarsha
Rep
Drives: BMW F30. E90, E46, E87

Yup, stage ones are pretty standard and the cars can handle them pretty well as well as don't require any physical modifications. Just remember not to go for the cheapest remap, it should be around £300 for a half-decent one. for an average gain of about 20% gain BHP and 30% Torque (Normally).
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 02:51 AM   #3
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Bootmod involves no physical mods to the engine. You can get some pretty decent gains with that or bolt on JB+ without spending too much. Or get a used N55 or N54 and tune that for about the same or less money and you have a faster, better sounding car as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #4
jake2106
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxmarsha View Post
Yup, stage ones are pretty standard and the cars can handle them pretty well as well as don't require any physical modifications. Just remember not to go for the cheapest remap, it should be around £300 for a half-decent one. for an average gain of about 20% gain BHP and 30% Torque (Normally).

would i have to go to a dyno tune or can i download a remap and put in on my self, i dont really know how this stuff works, i havent had much experience. as far as i know the only way to do it would be to take it to a workshop with a dyno and they will tune on the dyno, but by the sounds of it people here are just using premade tunes and "installing" them, them selves
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 04:19 PM   #5
sxmarsha
Rep
Drives: BMW F30. E90, E46, E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake2106 View Post
Quote:

would i have to go to a dyno tune or can i download a remap and put in on my self, i dont really know how this stuff works, i havent had much experience. as far as i know the only way to do it would be to take it to a workshop with a dyno and they will tune on the dyno, but by the sounds of it people here are just using premade tunes and "installing" them, them selves
No not unless you have the correct hardware no, plus if you don't know much about it then that's super risky and not worth it. You'll brick your ECU.

You can go to a specific dyno garage yes. Or you can get a mobile retailer come to your house and do it. No one buys generic ones. That's waiting to blow your engine up.

What mobile remappers do is download your ECU map from your car, send it to a shop that have altered that exact model and year of car before. They manipulate your map to match the one they've done before and then send it back, the guy then uploads it to your car.

Each one must be custom because every car is slightly different even if it the exact same make a model.

Your best bet is to fine a model remapper local to you with good reviews and ask him for a quote. He'll come to your house or place of work and complete the job in a couple hours. and the map will be under guarantee so if it blows your car up it doesn't matter. (Well not as much!)

Automotive Electronics | Coding | ECU | Automotive Paint Works | F30 | E46 | E91 | E87
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 12:45 AM   #6
jake2106
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No not unless you have the correct hardware no, plus if you don't know much about it then that's super risky and not worth it. You'll brick your ECU.

You can go to a specific dyno garage yes. Or you can get a mobile retailer come to your house and do it. No one buys generic ones. That's waiting to blow your engine up.

What mobile remappers do is download your ECU map from your car, send it to a shop that have altered that exact model and year of car before. They manipulate your map to match the one they've done before and then send it back, the guy then uploads it to your car.

Each one must be custom because every car is slightly different even if it the exact same make a model.

Your best bet is to fine a model remapper local to you with good reviews and ask him for a quote. He'll come to your house or place of work and complete the job in a couple hours. and the map will be under guarantee so if it blows your car up it doesn't matter. (Well not as much!)

thanks mate appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake2106 View Post
thanks mate appreciate it
OTS (off the shelf) tuning maps like Bootmod3 or MHD offer are good options if you just want a bit of extra power and don't need to extract every last bit or are not modifying you car extensively.

They will be much cheaper and are made to be a fairly conservative or safe tune. They are also pretty safe to do. It's not very common for people to brick their DME/ECU. Just make sure to watch/read as many tutorials and videos as possible. You will save a lot of money. Paying a custom tuner for a custom tune on an unmodified car would probably just be a waste of money.
Appreciate 0