F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Michelin Cup2 - initially disappointed...
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-27-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
harkes's Avatar
China
728
Rep
1,734
Posts

Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Xiamen, China

iTrader: (0)

Question Michelin Cup2 - initially disappointed...

Hi

Just changed to Cup2 from AD08R and I feel the car is all over the road while braking hard. This was not the case at all with the AD08R. I assume this is because of the softer tire wall? Grip is great but that wobbly floaty feeling - also during quick lane changes........I am disappointed to be honest.

I am running factory spec 225 and 245 section on 7.5J and 8J wheels. Can something be done with tire pressure? I am not tracking the car at the moment so what would you recommend for pressure for normal/fast street driving?

Thanks
__________________
M135i PWG, MHD, Pure Stage2, Torqbyte CM5-LT, xHP
(A Dane in China)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
Datka
First Lieutenant
Datka's Avatar
370
Rep
377
Posts

Drives: 2009 M3/dct, 2018 340i M sport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Are you driving 135i? If yes, you need camber plates for negative camber,
I tracked 135i for 6 years and in stock form that car was understeering like a bus.
I never used these tires but I hear they are very good when pushed hard.
Sticky tires need negative camber, especially on that car. I was running -3.5 front and -2 rear plus other suspension upgrades and only then I was able to use sticky tires and get all the benefit they provide.
If you are not tracking your car you are wasting really good tires.
For the street I would recommend bridgestones re 71 R tires.
Hope this helps
__________________
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve MCQueen
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
harkes's Avatar
China
728
Rep
1,734
Posts

Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Xiamen, China

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datka View Post
Are you driving 135i? If yes, you need camber plates for negative camber,
I tracked 135i for 6 years and in stock form that car was understeering like a bus.
I never used these tires but I hear they are very good when pushed hard.
Sticky tires need negative camber, especially on that car. I was running -3.5 front and -2 rear plus other suspension upgrades and only then I was able to use sticky tires and get all the benefit they provide.
If you are not tracking your car you are wasting really good tires.
For the street I would recommend bridgestones re 71 R tires.
Hope this helps
Then let's just say I am wasting the tires haha I needed more traction and my AD08R (50% worn) was not up for the job so I decided to try these. I have been on track and I agree that it under steers heavily, but track use is not the focus of this post.

Will added camber help on the floaty steering and breaking feel?
__________________
M135i PWG, MHD, Pure Stage2, Torqbyte CM5-LT, xHP
(A Dane in China)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 11:09 PM   #4
Datka
First Lieutenant
Datka's Avatar
370
Rep
377
Posts

Drives: 2009 M3/dct, 2018 340i M sport
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Then let's just say I am wasting the tires haha I needed more traction and my AD08R (50% worn) was not up for the job so I decided to try these. I have been on track and I agree that it under steers heavily, but track use is not the focus of this post.

Will added camber help on the floaty steering and breaking feel?
The answer is no for stock suspension. You will have to replace most of that suspension with soft springs/dumpers and soft rubber bushings front/rear to get what you need.
Sticky tires added to soft suspension will only make things worse.
__________________
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve MCQueen
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 12:12 AM   #5
BMWILUVU
Captain
251
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: 340ix
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: The Boibs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Hi

Just changed to Cup2 from AD08R and I feel the car is all over the road while braking hard. This was not the case at all with the AD08R. I assume this is because of the softer tire wall? Grip is great but that wobbly floaty feeling - also during quick lane changes........I am disappointed to be honest.

I am running factory spec 225 and 245 section on 7.5J and 8J wheels. Can something be done with tire pressure? I am not tracking the car at the moment so what would you recommend for pressure for normal/fast street driving?

Thanks
Try increasing the tire pressure.
Appreciate 1
Polo088161155.00

      12-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #6
mrrocky
New Member
mrrocky's Avatar
Poland
7
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: BMW 325d f31
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Gdynia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Never drove ad08r but I had cup2 and there are very good if warm, what is Your tire temp? I noticed that they just start to grip around 40C and when they reach 60C they're doing great. They don't grip at all when cold in daily driving situations.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 09:52 PM   #7
Polo08816
Brigadier General
1155
Rep
3,223
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datka View Post
Are you driving 135i? If yes, you need camber plates for negative camber,
I tracked 135i for 6 years and in stock form that car was understeering like a bus.
I never used these tires but I hear they are very good when pushed hard.
Sticky tires need negative camber, especially on that car. I was running -3.5 front and -2 rear plus other suspension upgrades and only then I was able to use sticky tires and get all the benefit they provide.
If you are not tracking your car you are wasting really good tires.
For the street I would recommend bridgestones re 71 R tires.
Hope this helps
+1.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 01:37 AM   #8
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
harkes's Avatar
China
728
Rep
1,734
Posts

Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Xiamen, China

iTrader: (0)

Listen...

I am NOT interested in track use feedback. I experience this in situation driving on the street. Examples: Fast lane changes and especially braking hard from around 200kmh.
__________________
M135i PWG, MHD, Pure Stage2, Torqbyte CM5-LT, xHP
(A Dane in China)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 03:45 AM   #9
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
harkes's Avatar
China
728
Rep
1,734
Posts

Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Xiamen, China

iTrader: (0)

To prove my experience... Guess there is nothing to do about that. I suspect the tire wall is so soft because these tires are primarily used on super cars with 20-21" low profile (take 911 GT3 as an example). A stiff sidewall would remove any sort of comfort.

__________________
M135i PWG, MHD, Pure Stage2, Torqbyte CM5-LT, xHP
(A Dane in China)

Last edited by harkes; 12-30-2019 at 04:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
gmx96.00

      12-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #10
Polo08816
Brigadier General
1155
Rep
3,223
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Listen...

I am NOT interested in track use feedback. I experience this in situation driving on the street. Examples: Fast lane changes and especially braking hard from around 200kmh.
Why are you driving on Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires on the street?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 01:22 AM   #11
nickf30
Private First Class
57
Rep
124
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Listen...

I am NOT interested in track use feedback. I experience this in situation driving on the street. Examples: Fast lane changes and especially braking hard from around 200kmh.
Why are you driving on Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires on the street?
Can't agree more . On street u can't get enough heat into CUP2 just waste of $$.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #12
zinner
Captain
zinner's Avatar
421
Rep
928
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i / 2010 335d
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

I saw mention of a RE71R as a street tire and I would like to toss in my two cents on that tire.
1) it's loud, transmits all the road into the cabin.
2) It's is not a good tire for the rain, hardly any tread.
3) It needs temp to be at it's best, otherwise it's on the hard side.

I use these tires on the track and Pole Position S-04 on the street. The S-04 is a nice tire for the street with some grip.
Appreciate 1
harkes728.00

      01-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #13
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
harkes's Avatar
China
728
Rep
1,734
Posts

Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Xiamen, China

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Listen...

I am NOT interested in track use feedback. I experience this in situation driving on the street. Examples: Fast lane changes and especially braking hard from around 200kmh.
Why are you driving on Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires on the street?
Because I live in an apartment and don't have space for street and track wheels AND because it is a street tire.
__________________
M135i PWG, MHD, Pure Stage2, Torqbyte CM5-LT, xHP
(A Dane in China)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 01:20 PM   #14
weehe126
Colonel
645
Rep
2,363
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (2)

RE71R is an amazing street tire. I ran it on my E90 for over 40k miles. For the dry traction it is very good in the wet. Only time I had to be cautious was with standing water. You need to keep the tire pressure around 35psi to keep heat, but it heats up fast.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 05:30 PM   #15
zinner
Captain
zinner's Avatar
421
Rep
928
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i / 2010 335d
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
RE71R is an amazing street tire. I ran it on my E90 for over 40k miles. For the dry traction it is very good in the wet. Only time I had to be cautious was with standing water. You need to keep the tire pressure around 35psi to keep heat, but it heats up fast.
What wheels are you using with that tire combo?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #16
Polo08816
Brigadier General
1155
Rep
3,223
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Because I live in an apartment and don't have space for street and track wheels AND because it is a street tire.
It's really a "track oriented" tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
RE71R is an amazing street tire. I ran it on my E90 for over 40k miles. For the dry traction it is very good in the wet. Only time I had to be cautious was with standing water. You need to keep the tire pressure around 35psi to keep heat, but it heats up fast.
You got over 40k miles from the same set of RE71Rs?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 11:58 PM   #17
weehe126
Colonel
645
Rep
2,363
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
What wheels are you using with that tire combo?
This was on my E90. Had the stock 18" rims 225/40 front 255/35 rear. Then also Apex rims with 235/40 and 275/35. The key was tire pressure. To low and they never heated up, too high and there was no sidewall flex.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 11:59 PM   #18
weehe126
Colonel
645
Rep
2,363
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
It's really a "track oriented" tire.



You got over 40k miles from the same set of RE71Rs?
3 different sets of rears. Got 28k out of the fronts. They really did last long for the tread rating.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:25 AM   #19
zinner
Captain
zinner's Avatar
421
Rep
928
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i / 2010 335d
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
This was on my E90. Had the stock 18" rims 225/40 front 255/35 rear. Then also Apex rims with 235/40 and 275/35. The key was tire pressure. To low and they never heated up, too high and there was no sidewall flex.
I have no issues getting them up to and over temp on occasions at the track. I have a starting psi of around 28 with a target of 35-36 when warmed up.

I am using Apex ARC-8s with that tire and I drove 5 hours to Road Atlanta on them and it was not as enjoyable as a more street oriented tire would be. I was wondering if maybe the NVH issues came from the tires or the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #20
weehe126
Colonel
645
Rep
2,363
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I have no issues getting them up to and over temp on occasions at the track. I have a starting psi of around 28 with a target of 35-36 when warmed up.

I am using Apex ARC-8s with that tire and I drove 5 hours to Road Atlanta on them and it was not as enjoyable as a more street oriented tire would be. I was wondering if maybe the NVH issues came from the tires or the wheels.
Brand new I was shocked how nice they were on the street. Road noise really wasn't bad. It was worse when I switch to the apex rims, but I'm pretty sure it was a balancing issue. Might try getting them road force balanced.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #21
weehe126
Colonel
645
Rep
2,363
Posts

Drives: 2016 340i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (2)

I guess one thing I should note is that the E90 cabin sound dampening was way better than the F30. So tire noise might be worse with the F30.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #22
Z K
Brigadier General
Z K's Avatar
United_States
1415
Rep
4,847
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, F30 328i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

This is my experience from tracking my M3.

I ran 4 sets of AD08R before, they are good tires. Going to Cup 2, the cup 2 has very soft sidewalls compared the to the Yokohama tires. You should be running a higher tire pressure and more negative camber to compensate for it.

I changed to Yokohama Advan A052. Much better track tire than AD08R or Cup2. I'm averaging 1-2 seconds faster over the Cup 2 on a 2 min track and it lasts longer. Compared to AD08R, it's a bit softer sidewall but a lot more grip. A052 also is strangely very quiet on the street if you want to drive it normally. It is just as quiet and civil as the AD08R.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!

Last edited by Z K; 01-29-2020 at 01:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST