F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Suspect my bumper was repainted at port w/o my knowledge
proTUNING Freaks

02-18-2020, 02:11 PM   #1
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Suspect my bumper was repainted at port w/o my knowledge

Hi All,

Wasn't sure where to post this so hope this is an appropriate spot.

TLDR: I have reason to believe that my car was repainted at port without my knowledge and a shitty job was done on the repaint. There are 2 areas on the bumper where paint has started lifting and I'm only at 36,000 miles on this car. No other areas on my car have paint lifting. I am still under warranty and believe they should provide me with a professionally painted bumper since I think this problem will only get worse.

1. Has anyone dealt with a scenario like this?
2. Is BMW going to give me a ton of pushback? My main concern is that I don't have any real proof of this except for 3 different people telling me my bumper may have been repainted (SA, Paint Touch Up guy, Detailer) - and the fact that the paint is lifting which does not seem normal.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Background: Purchased my 2017 340i as a brand new car at the end of 2018. It is my daily driver and I take really solid care of it - consistent detailing and hand washes.

At my first detailing, the detailer noted that when he was cleaning my car, one of the chips starting 'bubbling' out, something he said he'd only seen in repainted bumpers.

I kept an eye on that chip and later got it filled with the spot paint from bmw. At the spot painting, the SA said to me that the paint guy noticed the chip and it looks like the bumper has been repainted. I said that can't be, because I bought the car brand new from them and haven't done any paint work to the car. He noted that sometimes these things can get repainted at port if there is a ding.

The issue is that the repainting job was done shittily and now i have ANOTHER spot that has paint lifting on the bumper, and I don't think this will be the last. I am still under warranty, and believe they should provide me a professionally bumper. Has anyone dealt with this kind of scenario?

Last edited by Alarmin; 02-18-2020 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:06 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Repainted or not lifting paint is a defect in materials or workmanship, making it a warranty item.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Repainted or not lifting paint is a defect in materials or workmanship, making it a warranty item.
Thank you for the clarification!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
AFAIK, "touch-up" at the delivery port are not reported in the history. Could have been done there.
Appreciate 0