F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > BMW F30 centre console LED retrofit (too bright! FIXED)
Extreme Powerhouse

03-25-2020, 08:58 AM   #1
sxmarsha
Rep
Drives: BMW F30. E90, E46, E87

Hi et all!

So I brought a center console replacement with the LEDs behind it because I wanted to jazz up my interior a little. Felt it was a little dull.

Anyway ordered it and it arrived within about a week. It came with a Y cable to split off from an LED already under the console which is used to light the cigarette tray. No splicing required!

Took me about 20 minutes, 4 screws and it was changed. Was pretty happy with it however I'm a total perfectionist when it comes to my cars and the one thing that bugged me is it was way to bright. Now when I say too bright I mean too bright. It was actually distracting when driving and looked pretty stupid compared to my LED door lights as the brightness was way out of sync.

Anyway I wanted to dull it down so thought I could do some math and calculations, add an inline resistor and it will be all good. So I did. Here's my math and the results are in the pictures.

Original supply voltage:

V4.52

Added 1 x 470ohms resistor

New voltage:

V1.24

Worked a treat. Thought I would post this in case it bugs anyone else!

Resistors are about 20p max.

All you need:

soldering iron
Solder
Flux
Heat shrink
Wire snips
470ohms resistor

EDIT:

I left them slightly brighter than the door lights so I can still see a slight ambient light in the day. Any lower and you wouldn't. If you really want it to match yours perfect you'd want to take the voltage down to around 1v. To do this your looking at around an extra 100/200ohms.
Attached Images

Automotive Electronics | Coding | ECU | Automotive Paint Works | F30 | E46 | E91 | E87
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #2
Spencer786
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D ED

Nice helpful write up and pics!

You're absolutely correct about it being so bright -turns the interior like some tacky 50's juke box (says the other half)!

Tried coding down the percentage of the interior ambient lighting but almost lost all the door lighting -which is a shame.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2020, 07:55 AM   #3
sxmarsha
Rep
Drives: BMW F30. E90, E46, E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer786 View Post
Nice helpful write up and pics!

You're absolutely correct about it being so bright -turns the interior like some tacky 50's juke box (says the other half)!

Tried coding down the percentage of the interior ambient lighting but almost lost all the door lighting -which is a shame.
Thanks!

Let me know if you try it out? Works great.

FYI:

I left them slightly brighter than the door lights so I can still see a slight ambient light in the day. Any lower and you wouldn't. If you really want it to match yours perfect you'd want to take the voltage down to around 1v. To do this your looking at around an extra 100/200ohms.

Final product at night:
Attached Images

Automotive Electronics | Coding | ECU | Automotive Paint Works | F30 | E46 | E91 | E87
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46/3 M56 & F31d

Nice work. The change I would recommend is to install it on the brown ground wire instead so it dims the blue ones too, if you have the lights package.
Appreciate 0