F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Key workers
proTUNING Freaks

03-31-2020, 03:38 AM   #45
Paddy1975
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
Always the bigger picture that bites you in the ass, But we(oil and gas) arnt the only ones, everyone that isnt "key" workers are taking a hit, from your chains like chiquitos right down to your local cafes for example, self employed as well, its all a bit of a mess.
Does make you wonder what the world will be like after all this sh1t has calmed down, My sister-in-law is self employed as hairdresser she is already looking at closing the saloon permanently. As said not just the small locals when it starts to affect big names we are in trouble. In our city of Wolverhampton we have well over 40% of shops and stores vacant at the moment and this will make it so much worse. Kind of a 2012 film situation when the dust settles what do / will we have left. Scary times ahead me thinks.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 03:40 AM   #46
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Really interesting perspectives. Tough situation for you guys all around, good luck
Always the bigger picture that bites you in the ass, But we(oil and gas) arnt the only ones, everyone that isnt "key" workers are taking a hit, from your chains like chiquitos right down to your local cafes for example, self employed as well, its all a bit of a mess.
Agreed. Really have to feel for people that have been drawing low salaries and now have lost them. Ok, the government has stepped in with an amazing package, but even when this is over how many will get their jobs back. Discretionary spending just isn't going to return to the same levels.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 03:57 AM   #47
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Quote:
Quote:
Really interesting perspectives. Tough situation for you guys all around, good luck
A mess that's going to be with us for a very long time I suspect. The impacts this will have on the economy and our lives will be huge unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 03:57 AM   #48
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Agreed. Really have to feel for people that have been drawing low salaries and now have lost them. Ok, the government has stepped in with an amazing package, but even when this is over how many will get their jobs back. Discretionary spending just isn't going to return to the same levels.
Looking at one of the threads on here, i reckon many will have spent their years supply of discretionary spend in lockdown!

Given taxes will have to rise to pay the bill, and people will be feeling nervous for a while to come, plus Asia will take a while to recover, I can see it taking a few years before we get back to 2019 levels of spending power....
Appreciate 2
Sennen1733.50
      03-31-2020, 04:05 AM   #49
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

QS for a major FM company. Our sites are mainly healthcare and education so mostly still open just now. Got a team of engineers with letters in case they're stopped on the way to work, but I'm home based now

Mrs works for a major supermarket and has been in the firing line throughout the lot of this. The store she works in took their own measures last week to limit customer numbers at any one time and encourage distancing in lieu of any head office advice
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 04:06 AM   #50
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Looking at one of the threads on here, i reckon many will have spent their years supply of discretionary spend in lockdown!

Given taxes will have to rise to pay the bill, and people will be feeling nervous for a while to come, plus Asia will take a while to recover, I can see it taking a few years before we get back to 2019 levels of spending power....
Totally agree, not really the time for making frivolous purchases, as you quite rightly say put the money aside to pay for the increased tax burden.

You can bet it is going to guys like us that will pay the lions share.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 03:02 PM   #51
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

I'm in Big 4 consulting - working on sensitive covid-19 projects for public sector. Although this was optional, could have declined the work but decided not to.

The fiancée is a junior doc - full on frontline at a hosp.
Appreciate 0