F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Diy bavgruppe headlights tips?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-19-2020, 12:16 PM   #1
lazyb0ne
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435

Diy bavgruppe headlights tips?

Hi, hello. Recently, I have to courage to go through with the idea of doing a DIY blacking out my headlights and adding the Bavgruppe vision led rings instead of paying 1.4k for someone to do them. I was looking around their website and found some tutorial but there isn't much. So I want to ask if any of you guys have experience with this product and do you guys have tips for installing them? I'm more clueless about the wiring aspect. I have a 2016 435i xenon. Thanks!!

This is the one I was planning:
https://www.bavgruppedesign.com/prod...hts-only-5r9n8
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #2
_das_bae_
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyb0ne View Post
Hi, hello. Recently, I have to courage to go through with the idea of doing a DIY blacking out my headlights and adding the Bavgruppe vision led rings instead of paying 1.4k for someone to do them. I was looking around their website and found some tutorial but there isn't much. So I want to ask if any of you guys have experience with this product and do you guys have tips for installing them? I'm more clueless about the wiring aspect. I have a 2016 435i xenon. Thanks!!

This is the one I was planning:
https://www.bavgruppedesign.com/prod...hts-only-5r9n8
I've installed their lights on E chassis cars before. Their quality is nice but there might be some modifications needed. The tools you will need are a dremel with different attachments, headlight sealer molding, and a nice fast drying glue like hobby glue (which comes with an activator spray). The other tools you will need are things like a heat gun, angled picks or a pry tool to cut through the headlight seal.

That being said if this is your first time ever opening up headlights, there is plenty of prep work needed as well as post work to make sure they seal back up correctly. If you are just swapping in White angels or switch backs this will alleviate I would say 10% of the overall work. RGB controllers for color-changing LEDs will bring other headaches of where to mount them and more wiring. Maybe find a buddy or someone who has done it before local to you to get some hands-on help. This is the type of project where you will either find out you are good with your hands or not, messing up is expensive if you get unnecessary moisture or damage any components.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 09:08 PM   #3
lazyb0ne
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by _das_bae_ View Post
I've installed their lights on E chassis cars before. Their quality is nice but there might be some modifications needed. The tools you will need are a dremel with different attachments, headlight sealer molding, and a nice fast drying glue like hobby glue (which comes with an activator spray). The other tools you will need are things like a heat gun, angled picks or a pry tool to cut through the headlight seal.

That being said if this is your first time ever opening up headlights, there is plenty of prep work needed as well as post work to make sure they seal back up correctly. If you are just swapping in White angels or switch backs this will alleviate I would say 10% of the overall work. RGB controllers for color-changing LEDs will bring other headaches of where to mount them and more wiring. Maybe find a buddy or someone who has done it before local to you to get some hands-on help. This is the type of project where you will either find out you are good with your hands or not, messing up is expensive if you get unnecessary moisture or damage any components.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Thanks for the advice!! Well, I think I got most of the stuff. I don't have the fast drying glue. What is that used for?

I got the pry tools with the hook. Butyl sealer, oven cleaner for stripping chrome, duplicolor high heat paints and a heat gun.

I'm not doing rgb as that looks more complicated haha. I'm just more confused about the wiring. Was it simple when you were install them?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
_das_bae_
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyb0ne View Post
Thanks for the advice!! Well, I think I got most of the stuff. I don't have the fast drying glue. What is that used for?

I got the pry tools with the hook. Butyl sealer, oven cleaner for stripping chrome, duplicolor high heat paints and a heat gun.

I'm not doing rgb as that looks more complicated haha. I'm just more confused about the wiring. Was it simple when you were install them?
The fast drying glue will be for securing the rings in place on the inner trim of the headlight. The wiring is straight forward, it plugs right into the OEM pins for the same bulb...at least it did for E92. Otherwise you can tap in to the same wires and it is enough output.
Appreciate 0