F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > OEM HUD Retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

12-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #67
M3nity
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Well done soso2222!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2018, 07:51 PM   #68
jkwhar
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Xdrive | F15 x35i

Heres a question, I just got the 6WB retrofitted (getting it coded tomorrow) and I noticed the kiesmotorsports it states that HUD on CIC is not available. I have MY 4/13 CIC without HUD. The 6WB I ordered from bimmertech has the HUD port but doesn't state anything about HUD not working with it.

So, with that being said, does the 6WB use k-can bus for the HUD?

FOR SALE! Sport line Steering wheel with heated, paddle shifter, vibration motor, no airbag | EDM Bi-Xenon adaptive headlights (SOLD) | surround view retrofit kit (sold) | KAFAS2 camera and ECU | FLA camera(sold) | 6WB cluster (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 12:37 PM   #69
aridain
-
Rep
Drives: F80

The F3X HUD connects using a HSD/APIX Connection.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 03:28 PM   #70
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

Anyone know a good part # for the APIX/HSD cable between the cluster and HUD for F30s? Sounds like the one for the F10 is not correct i.e. requires trimming the keying and rotating the connection?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #71
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

I got all parts now the question is how to cut, cause there is nothing on the inside to show what to cut. So anyone has more info, template, ...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:40 AM   #72
SMiGGs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Msport

Can you take pics of the cutting process? And or how you figure out a lay out for the cut please?

I can work a retrofit guide if I atleast have a confident cutout outline idea
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #73
Laxman8544
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

SMiGGs did you get a reply to the cut out. Im also after it.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #74
Momir13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 14 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxman8544 View Post
SMiGGs did you get a reply to the cut out. Im also after it.
There's a template to cut from tiny pic or Imgur one page back
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #75
pdxpeter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M50, 1991 E30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momir13 View Post
There's a template to cut from tiny pic or Imgur one page back
Its a bad link. Although based on what I can find its not hard to figure out where to cut.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #76
SMiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

So a while back I came across a video on YouTube where they retrofit hud on a g series. From the looks of it, it looked like it had an outline in the inner part of the dash not the exterior, it looked like a hard plastic line and he cut right on it.

Worst case scenario, begin cutting a small hole and go bigger and bigger outward

I will try and hunt down that video or atleast an outline

Get a lot of pics please I know a lot of people have been wanting to do this.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 04:37 AM   #77
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMiGGs View Post
So a while back I came across a video on YouTube where they retrofit hud on a g series. From the looks of it, it looked like it had an outline in the inner part of the dash not the exterior, it looked like a hard plastic line and he cut right on it.

Worst case scenario, begin cutting a small hole and go bigger and bigger outward

I have to dissapoint you, cause im doing the retrofit to, just took out the dash and for the F3x there is nothing on the inner side. So you will have to use the HUD cover to guess the hole that needs to be cut out.

Im still waiting on the rest of the parts among the covr to start the cutting, hope it will arrive this week.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:29 AM   #78
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

Her are some pictures
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
SMiGGs59.00
      04-09-2020, 03:42 PM   #79
SMiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Dude awesome work!!!! That looks great, did you get it to work?

Also how'd you do it to cut the dash out? Did you find a template? Did you make a template lol Im willing to pay you for the template if you manage to get/make one, if not its no biggie ima have to guestimate

Last edited by SMiGGs; 04-09-2020 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #80
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Dude awesome work!!!! That looks great, did you get it to work?

Also how'd you do it to cut the dash out? Did you find a template? Did you make a template lol Im willing to pay you for the template you did manage to get one, if not its no biggie ima have to guestimate

No doesn't work yet, cause of corona i cant go and get the 6wb with HUD. As far as template goes i kind have one but i didn't use it cause i didn't know the actual placement. So i put it on like it tought it would be and then cut the button line and from there started expanding bit by bit till it fitted. So think it took me about 3 hours to get the opening cut.
Appreciate 1
SMiGGs59.00
      05-11-2020, 03:42 AM   #81
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneyer View Post
No doesn't work yet, cause of corona i cant go and get the 6wb with HUD. As far as template goes i kind have one but i didn't use it cause i didn't know the actual placement. So i put it on like it tought it would be and then cut the button line and from there started expanding bit by bit till it fitted. So think it took me about 3 hours to get the opening cut.

Got the new cluster and everything works, you need to change the rain/light/solar sensor to 1 with HUD aswell cause otherwise its not really visible.

Only problem now is the blurry due to non hud windsheld. Haven't found a sollution for this yet, but i dont want to change the windshield. I tried a HUD screen like there are so many sold but thats not it either, it looks so heap and is fugly.

Anyone found a sollution for this? A tint foil or something for the whole screen so its not noticeable but hud is as oem? Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 09:19 AM   #82
SMiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Hey I thought about this awhile back and I came up with a quick possible solution until I replace my windshield, it has a small rock chip anyway I’m just waiting for the crack to begin spreading. Just an idea I have not tried it myself but it’s cheap enough to try. $5 - $7 on eBay.

It’s a thin clear see-through film

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Protect...8-ecce183caa52

Or get highest/finest grit sand paper. Tape projected area. Lightly sand. The abrasion/etching should not be visible to the naked eye, but should be enough to refract/reflect/bend the projected light to provide a brighter image since the light would refract/reflect within the abrasion and/or angle etched vs 50% light out put loss from the windshield due to clarity and shape of windshield. The only problem with this is that, around the lettering of the HUD might appear fuzzy. Atleast that’s how I picture it. Just an idea.

Might be something better than sand paper maybe a glass specific product.

Last edited by SMiGGs; 05-11-2020 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #83
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Hey I thought about this awhile back and I came up with a quick possible solution until I replace my windshield, it has a small rock chip anyway I’m just waiting for the crack to begin spreading. Just an idea I have not tried it myself but it’s cheap enough to try. $5 - $7 on eBay.

It’s a thin clear see-through film

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Protect...8-ecce183caa52

Or get highest/finest grit sand paper. Tape projected area. Lightly sand. The abrasion/etching should not be visible to the naked eye, but should be enough to refract/reflect/bend the projected light to provide a brighter image since the light would refract/reflect within the abrasion and/or angle etched vs 50% light out put loss from the windshield due to clarity and shape of windshield. The only problem with this is that, around the lettering of the HUD might appear fuzzy. Atleast that’s how I picture it. Just an idea.

Might be something better than sand paper maybe a glass specific product.
The ebaylink you send, i tried that and let me say its crap. It not only looks cheap its fugly, and the image is not blurry anymore but i think its even wurse then that. The double vission is gone but its not clear at all.

As far as brightness changing the light/rain/solar sensor to a HUD one fixed the brightness (picture was with original sensor, now brightness setting is normal not on max), only problem is now the double vission

Last edited by deneyer; 05-11-2020 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:21 PM   #84
SMiGGs
Private First Class
Rep

Nice!! Glad you got to be brighter! And I’m just giving you ideas to be helpful lol

And yes I’m not a big fan either but it’s a temporary solution, that one was just an example there is others that are much nicer. The reason I mention this is because old cars like Buick’s that had HUD, but had the old style glass, the green/blue type of glass, I had seen the sanding method or film method be used to fix them when people didn’t want to fork the extra Money for the HUD windshield. But I agree it would probably look cheap especially for a bmw

Last edited by SMiGGs; 05-11-2020 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 08:52 PM   #85
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 2016 BMW 328i

can someone help with the part number for Head-Up Display Cluster LVDS / HSD Cable that can work with 6wb cluster in an f30.

I see this part number 61119322250 from an ebay seller for f30, f15, f32 and f80. However in realoem this part number shows only for f15 and f16. Does it fit f30 as well as ebay seller mentioned?

Thanks in advance

Retrofits: NBT evo ID6, 6wb cluster, heated steering wheel, HUD, Kafas2 with LDW, SLI, HBA, FCW and pedestrian warning, LCW, Surround View, Parking Assist and ACC with Stop
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:10 AM   #86
Dc444
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 N55 335i AT

Looking at the hsd cable, is it straight forward where the brown and red/yellow wires go?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:27 AM   #87
freespirit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30 2016 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc444 View Post
Looking at the hsd cable, is it straight forward where the brown and red/yellow wires go?
This is the item

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264653504384

Seller description

UNCUT ORIGINAL HARNESS - SHORT HARNESS PLUGS BETWEEN CLUSTER & HEAD UP DISPLAY - BROWN WIRE GOES TO CLUSTER CONNECTOR - RED/YELLOW GOES TO BCM (FRONT FUSE PANEL)

Retrofits: NBT evo ID6, 6wb cluster, heated steering wheel, HUD, Kafas2 with LDW, SLI, HBA, FCW and pedestrian warning, LCW, Surround View, Parking Assist and ACC with Stop
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 02:42 AM   #88
deneyer
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc444 View Post
Here is wiring diagram and also where the 2 cables go to according to BMW not to what is said on ebay.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0