F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Build help
GetBMWParts

04-03-2020, 01:29 PM   #23
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKappy View Post
I personally reccomend getting meth. Even If you were to upgrade the HPFP to take care of the fueling issue, the benefits of the cooling effect that meth creates (being able to lower IAT’s an additional 20-30f) , alone in itself, is a good enough reason to run it, especially if you’’re on ps2 cranking out monster power.
Since he will be running E85 blend, meth will not be needed since E85 offers cooling properties.

I'm currently running E30 with a custom tune and have zero issues with IAT's
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #24
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Limited Slip Differential.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:45 PM   #25
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewCarGuy335i View Post
Thank you so much. Yea I was talking about maxing the PS2, but if I can get 500s reliably (as reliable as possible when doing something like this) without maxing out any of my systems, That would be the goal. So a stage 1 hpfp or stage 2 should be sufficient for my goals? It'll be a ps2 with some e85 mixture, not going full if I need all the extra fueling upgrades and bits when ~500 is plenty of power for my means. I was mostly confused about why others ran PI or meth often so I had assumed I needed that as well to get the whole thing to run properly.
Yeah, there are some threads specifically on making around 500whp. In summary i believe you will need (and others can chime in).

1. FBO - intercooler (appropriately sized), downpipe, charge pipe, consider TIC also at this point.
2. PS2, also get the inlet (or another turbo option, if desired)
3. Consider an intake, although may not be required (more benefit with upgraded turbo).
4. Stock exhaust should be fine, but similar to intake, might be some small gains once you are on PS2 with higher boost (better flowing exhaust).
5. Stage 2 HPFP to leave yourself some room for fueling if you want to go to higher Emix. Stock LPFP should be fine. No PI or meth "needed". Both add complexity to the setup.
6. DV, such as GFB or turbosmart
7. Custom tune
8. LSD if you want to put down the power. Along with good, sticky tires.
9. Clutch if you are not 8AT. XHP flash if you are 8AT.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #26
NewCarGuy335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:
Thank you so much. Yea I was talking about maxing the PS2, but if I can get 500s reliably (as reliable as possible when doing something like this) without maxing out any of my systems, That would be the goal. So a stage 1 hpfp or stage 2 should be sufficient for my goals? It'll be a ps2 with some e85 mixture, not going full if I need all the extra fueling upgrades and bits when ~500 is plenty of power for my means. I was mostly confused about why others ran PI or meth often so I had assumed I needed that as well to get the whole thing to run properly.
Yeah, there are some threads specifically on making around 500whp. In summary i believe you will need (and others can chime in).

1. FBO - intercooler (appropriately sized), downpipe, charge pipe, consider TIC also at this point.
2. PS2, also get the inlet (or another turbo option, if desired)
3. Consider an intake, although may not be required (more benefit with upgraded turbo).
4. Stock exhaust should be fine, but similar to intake, might be some small gains once you are on PS2 with higher boost (better flowing exhaust).
5. Stage 2 HPFP to leave yourself some room for fueling if you want to go to higher Emix. Stock LPFP should be fine. No PI or meth "needed". Both add complexity to the setup.
6. DV, such as GFB or turbosmart
7. Custom tune
8. LSD if you want to put down the power. Along with good, sticky tires.
9. Clutch if you are not 8AT. XHP flash if you are 8AT.
Thank you, that breaks it down perfectly, so far that will all be added to my build sheet, only thing I'm curious about is that XHP trans flash. Is it actually more beneficial compared to what Bm3 has for a transmission flash? Also, anything about a TMAP upgrade to read higher boost? Or is stock one sufficient on that as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #27
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, that breaks it down perfectly, so far that will all be added to my build sheet, only thing I'm curious about is that XHP trans flash. Is it actually more beneficial compared to what Bm3 has for a transmission flash? Also, anything about a TMAP upgrade to read higher boost? Or is stock one sufficient on that as well.
Good question. BM3 will remove torque limits, but XHP is generally regarded as more refined. There are some threads on this and you can read for yourself. In terms of actual performance and longevity, I don't think there is any quantitative data on that, but XHP has been around a lot longer and if you are doing a build of this caliber i would do XHP...

TMAP is another good point. I think you need that if you are going to 21+ psi.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #28
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Bigboost 3.3 kit. Throw a fat PTE 6262 on it. Less torque, more whp. Less stress on the bottom end. More spooly noises too.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #29
NewCarGuy335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnick101 View Post
Bigboost 3.3 kit. Throw a fat PTE 6262 on it. Less torque, more whp. Less stress on the bottom end. More spooly noises too.
First I've heard of that kit mentioned, I'll look it up and see what it's about
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #30
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
First I've heard of that kit mentioned, I'll look it up and see what it's about
If I remember correctly its about $3000 for the kit. Everyone on here is big on the PS2 upgrade. While that's great I feel a bigger turbo would be so much better. You want to remove some of the torque, so less cylinder pressure, less heat, less torque, happy bottom end. Not to mention it would pull hard well into the redline and not fall off.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #31
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnick101 View Post
If I remember correctly its about $3000 for the kit. Everyone on here is big on the PS2 upgrade. While that's great I feel a bigger turbo would be so much better. You want to remove some of the torque, so less cylinder pressure, less heat, less torque, happy bottom end. Not to mention it would pull hard well into the redline and not fall off.
Really just depends on what you want. If you are going for big numbers, highway pulls, runway racing, etc, then yeah, probably go bigger than PS2.

If its a daily where you want it to be responsive and not have to rev it out all the time, you want something like a PS2. The PS2 generally speaking has the longest track record for reliability as well.

Torque is what makes the car "feel" fast usually, while HP wins races. Personally, i would much rather sacrifice some HP to get the torque and responsiveness. But it's personal preference.
Appreciate 0