F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Anyone using AiM SOLO 2 DL for a lap timer/data logger?
proTUNING Freaks

05-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Anyone using AiM SOLO 2 DL for a lap timer/data logger?

Hi all,

*cross-post from the 2-series forum in hopes of getting more feedback*

Very interested in this product for an always-on lap timer solution on track days. I like how it has built-in GPS + accelerometer and can integrate with their (very expensive) purpose-built video camera and OBDII plug for ECU telemetry. Basically, I'm tired of fumbling with Harry's Lap Timer on my iPhone and forgetting to start the session or thinking I started it only to find out there were no lap times recorded after I'm done with a session. Rather than starting to invest in external GPS sensors, action cam, etc. for Harry's Lap Timer, I'd rather just invest in a dedicated solution that will always be mounted in front of me in my car and ready to go whether I remembered to take my phone with me or not. The SOLO 2 DL + SmartyCam supposedly starts recording lap times and logging data + recording video automatically just by entering the track and can all run on 1 power source being the OBDII connection to the car's ECU.

It sounds like a very well-integrated and convenient solution, but I'd like to hear about any personal experiences out there with running this setup.

Anyone care to share their experiences? Also, does anyone know if a supporting vendor offers the SOLO 2 DL at a decent discount over the typical online price of $699? It's an expensive setup, so if I can save some money with a discount, I'm all for that.

Thanks so much in advance!
      06-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
I am looking at the Solo 2 DL too.... also considering the (even more expensive) VBOX setup. Your post reads exactly like my own rantings - seems like more often than not, either data or video fails to capture on my best sessions. Time for an upgrade!

I've got some feelers out as I research AiM and VBOX - I'll update this thread as I find out anything interesting.
      08-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
Brady154
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I've been using one on my motorcycle for years, and I took it in the car once too. Now, I've just been using Track Addict app in the car the last few times. If it's wired into the car/bike it comes on automatically when you start the car. Then it will automatically select the track you're at, if that track is in its database. The analysis end of it is not simple or user friendly, but I finally figured it out--so I'm sure you could too.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Just throwing this out there, but I've used Harry's in the past as well. I used RaceChono pro the past two track days and I think it's a big upgrade to Harry's. Much more user friendly, and yes, you can turn it on as soon as you arrive at the track and it will start recording data from your iphone's or external GPS and the OBDII plug. I usually just leave it on until I'm on grid then I just hit record on the app to start the gopro video recording.

I like the GUI which is more modern and readable. The time and speed deltas are also more readable since they are both graphical and numerical. Here's my lap at ACS first time using RaceChrono on a circuit:

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 08:27 AM   #5
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I use race chrono as well. If you are worried about turning it on, just toss it on an old phone put it the armrest connected to usb and leave it running the entire day. Granted it won't have the 10hz gps like the pro items it still times your lap pretty much. I also have a Garmin Vibr XE with a dongle to pull data, it's limited to the standard stuff basic OBDII can pull but I get RPM,Throttle, IAT, Boost. I do forget to switch on and off the stupid garmin form time to time.

I agree having that stuff on your every day phone is a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:59 PM   #6
mschacht
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 Porsche GT3

Talking Another angle

Consider APEX Pro. I just had an article I wrote posted in Speed Secrets Weekly Newsletter, October 16? 2019.

I have a SOLO 2 DL and with the pro-active driver coaching provided by APEX Pro, I only ise the SOLO 2 DL in. conjunction with a borrowed AiM SmartyCam. When the borrowed SmartCam is no longer available, then the SOLO 2 DL will have to do.

APEX Pro provides data logging too...the contract to AiM, it's easily accessible.

Send me an email at mfschacht@gmail.com, and I'll send you a copy of the article.

All the best,

Martin
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschacht View Post
Consider APEX Pro. I just had an article I wrote posted in Speed Secrets Weekly Newsletter, October 16? 2019.

I have a SOLO 2 DL and with the pro-active driver coaching provided by APEX Pro, I only ise the SOLO 2 DL in. conjunction with a borrowed AiM SmartyCam. When the borrowed SmartCam is no longer available, then the SOLO 2 DL will have to do.

APEX Pro provides data logging too...the contract to AiM, it's easily accessible.

Send me an email at mfschacht@gmail.com, and I'll send you a copy of the article.

All the best,

Martin
I actually use the Apex Pro as my external gps for Harry's and find that to be the perfect combo. HLT only gets unreliable when you have too many external accessories (introduces bluetooth or wifi interference). If you want video, I've never had issues using combo of: HLT + Apex + GoPro4, and then transferring video using the Apple SD to lightning combo (bypassing iTunes all together). But I stop at just those and don’t bother with OBD accessory, etc.

OP - sorry I know this isn't what you're looking for but just throwing that out there before you invest in an Aim Solo.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 11-26-2019 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 0