F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod3 Wifi Agent DIY Alternate Method
ARMA SPEED

06-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
dieselg5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive

Bootmod3 Wifi Agent DIY Alternate Method

**UPDATE 9/23/19: The script has been updated to work with Raspian Buster (fixed java issue)**

**UPDATE 12/15/19: Fixed wifi hotspot issue**

**UPDATE 4/18/2020: More wifi fixes**

** UPDATE 5/14/2020: Completely new script with menus**

** UPDATE 5/15/2020: Networking fixes**

Hi all,

Ever since installing the PTF image on my Raspberry Pi (model B+) I've had a lot of issues with USB tethering, the Raspberry Pi not booting correctly, file system errors, etc. So I decided to use the stock Raspbian image that's made for Raspberry Pi and add the BM3 agent to it. It works on my Raspberry Pi model B+ (first generation) and it should technically work on any Raspberry Pi model. I've found my method to be much more reliable than the BM3 image that I originally downloaded from PTF. If anyone else would like to try it out, here are the instructions:

1. Flash the stock Raspbian Buster Lite image onto your Raspberry Pi (any model) from here.

2. Connect your Raspberry Pi to a monitor, keyboard, and to the Internet OR connect it to your network and SSH into it (default username is "pi" and default password is "raspberry" for both without the quotes.) If you are planning to SSH into it, you'll need to enable SSH by placing a file named "ssh" without the quotes and with no extension in the root of the SD card.

3. Copy this line into the terminal without the quotes and press enter:
"wget -q -nc https://www.dropbox.com/s/n6t9dd1d6m5vaug/bm3_installer_v1.1.sh && sudo bash bm3_installer_v1.1.sh"

4. Select option 1 for new installation or option 2 if you want to repair an existing installation. Option 3 is an advanced menu that has individual functions for advanced users.

5. After it's done, it will ask you reboot your Raspberry Pi. Once that's done, you can unplug it and plug it into your car.

Note: If your BM3 app says the agent is out of date, just update the agent via your phone.

Let me know if you have any questions and if it works properly.

Last edited by dieselg5; 05-15-2020 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 2
Joe2402923.50
      06-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Cool. From what I read, the PTF image doesn't work on newer Raspberry Pi. Question how do you update the agent to newer version in the future?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
Cool. From what I read, the PTF image doesn't work on newer Raspberry Pi. Question how do you update the agent to newer version in the future?
This should work on any raspberry pi. You update it through the app on your phone.
Appreciate 1
Joe2402923.50
      06-30-2019, 10:54 PM   #4
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi tanzanite blue

Garage List
how come my hotspot doesn't find the agent? name and password is bootmod3. i did the method described in your original post.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 06:07 AM   #5
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkswoosh View Post
how come my hotspot doesn't find the agent? name and password is bootmod3. i did the method described in your original post.
Is it a Raspberry Pi 3 or Raspberry Pi 3 B+? Also, did the script complete successfully?
Appreciate 1
Joe2402923.50
      07-01-2019, 07:07 AM   #6
Lukelar1283
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328ixdrive

Quote:
I did this no problem on Saturday. Make sure that the names don’t have a capital B and it reads bootmod3 that was my issue. But as long as it was scripted and didn’t have any failures there should be no issues with it. Other wise try using a usb connection to your phone and see if that works.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselg5 View Post
Is it a Raspberry Pi 3 or Raspberry Pi 3 B+? Also, did the script complete successfully?
I have the 3b+ I assumed its compatible with ptf now. But yes the script completed when I plugged in monitor, keyboard and internet and copied that link.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #8
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukelar1283 View Post
I did this no problem on Saturday. Make sure that the names don’t have a capital B and it reads bootmod3 that was my issue. But as long as it was scripted and didn’t have any failures there should be no issues with it. Other wise try using a usb connection to your phone and see if that works.
Yeah, I made sure spelling and lower case on both names and passwords. With the usb, are you referring to do the usb tether for internet access? I'll try that when I get home from work
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #9
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
You know, actually It didn't reboot my pi after I pressed enter. I just assumed it completed cos I saw the bootmod3 info on the terminal
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #10
Lukelar1283
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I made sure spelling and lower case on both names and passwords. With the usb, are you referring to do the usb tether for internet access? I'll try that when I get home from work
Yes you should be able to plug into your phone and then connect the usb to the raspberry pi for internet. All I did was format the sd card and installed the WiFi agent file onto it and plugged it right into my car and and it all worked fine.
This video is exactly what I did. Hope it helps.
https://youtu.be/9C1pfexR8lY
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:24 AM   #11
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Another thing to note if you’re using an iPhone is that it only broadcasts your hotspot when you’re at the hotspot settings menu (where you can change the name and password). So keep it at the screen for a few minutes after the Pi boots up to see if it will connect. Or try connecting to you Pi via USB cable while you’re at that screen.
Appreciate 1
Joe2402923.50
      07-01-2019, 11:27 AM   #12
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes you should be able to plug into your phone and then connect the usb to the raspberry pi for internet. All I did was format the sd card and installed the WiFi agent file onto it and plugged it right into my car and and it all worked fine.
This video is exactly what I did. Hope it helps.
https://youtu.be/9C1pfexR8lY
I have the 3b+ raspberry pi not the regular b. I had to do it the way OP has done it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #13
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Another thing to note if you’re using an iPhone is that it only broadcasts your hotspot when you’re at the hotspot settings menu (where you can change the name and password). So keep it at the screen for a few minutes after the Pi boots up to see if it will connect. Or try connecting to you Pi via USB cable while you’re at that screen.
I'm on android but I'll try the USB tether and see if that does the trick.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #14
Lukelar1283
Private
Rep

Quote:
I have the 3b+ raspberry pi not the regular b. I had to do it the way OP has done it.
I see lol. I may not be much help then. I have just the regular raspberry pi 3 and also using a iPhone. Hope you figure it out, it’s awesome to have.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2019, 11:39 AM   #15
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I see lol. I may not be much help then. I have just the regular raspberry pi 3 and also using a iPhone. Hope you figure it out, it’s awesome to have.
Ahah it's all good, thanks for trying though. Cant wait to get running so I can easily log and not tug a laptop around on the road.

Last edited by Mkswoosh; 07-01-2019 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:03 PM   #16
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I got it to connect to my mobile hotspot but now when I run the bm3 agent app it wont detect obd2. Tried replugging the cables and battery reset.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #17
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
So I got it to connect to my mobile hotspot but now when I run the bm3 agent app it wont detect obd2. Tried replugging the cables and battery reset.
So does the bootmod3 app detect the agent is running?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #18
Zadikiel
Norway
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive 2014

Quote:
Hi all,

Ever since installing the PTF image on my Raspberry Pi (model B+) I've had a lot of issues with USB tethering, the Raspberry Pi not booting correctly, file system errors, etc. So I decided to use the stock Raspbian image that's made for Raspberry Pi and add the BM3 agent to it. It works on my Raspberry Pi model B+ (first generation) and it should technically work on any Raspberry Pi model. I've found my method to be much more reliable than the BM3 image that I originally downloaded from PTF. If anyone else would like to try it out, here are the instructions:

1. Flash the stock Raspbian Stretch Lite image onto your Raspberry Pi (any model) from here.

2. Connect your Raspberry Pi to a monitor, keyboard, and to the Internet OR connect it to your network and SSH into it (default username is "pi" and default password is "raspberry" for both without the quotes.) If you are planning to SSH into it, you'll need to enable SSH by placing a file named "SSH" without the quotes and with no extension in the root of the SD card.

3. Copy this line into the terminal without the quotes and press enter:
"wget -q -O - https://www.dropbox.com/s/8772ugay3h...nstall.sh?dl=1 | bash"

4. After it's done, it will reboot your Raspberry Pi. Once that's done, you can unplug it and plug it into your car.

Let me know if you have any questions and if it works properly.
Thanks for the guide. As I could not find any local shops selling the pi 3 I bought the 3 b+.
I see that the stretch files is not in the link, they may have been updated to the buster. Do you know if this would work? If not do you know where I can find the stretch lite file?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #19
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadikiel View Post
Thanks for the guide. As I could not find any local shops selling the pi 3 I bought the 3 b+.
I see that the stretch files is not in the link, they may have been updated to the buster. Do you know if this would work? If not do you know where I can find the stretch lite file?
Thanks.
The buster lite image will work just fine, you can use that.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 03:28 PM   #20
Zadikiel
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. During step 3 it looked like my pi crashed. screen just shows different colors. It was pretty hot tho.
Have you experienced this? I will try reflashing it and then doing the promt again.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #21
Zadikiel
Norway
Rep

Quote:
So I tried to reflash it again. It starts up without any issues. The promt looked to go ok, but it does not work.
I guess dont need to connect the wifi agent to my car to test connectivity between my iphone and pi?
Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 04:44 PM   #22
dieselg5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadikiel View Post
So I tried to reflash it again. It starts up without any issues. The promt looked to go ok, but it does not work.
I guess dont need to connect the wifi agent to my car to test connectivity between my iphone and pi?
Thanks for the help.
Can you describe what happened after you paste step three into the terminal? Is it connected to the internet? Can you take a picture?
Appreciate 0