F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Joyeauto Apple Carplay Retrofit
Studio RSR

06-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #1
jsingh91
Rep
Drives: 428i GC M Sport

Joyeauto Apple Carplay Retrofit

Hi everyone,
There are threads dedicated to other brands of the Apple Carplay retrofit solutions out there, so I thought I'd create one for Joyeauto to see if folks could chime in on their experiences with it as it seems to be one of the most budget friendly options.

I have a 2016 428i xdrive GC and here's what would be great to have:

1) Not having to switch back and forth from iDrive to CarPlay
2) Using the OEM microphone to answer calls - kind of put off by having to install another wired mic
3) Ability to play music through CarPlay (would a wired option be better for sound quality?)
3) Siri is not a requirement as I don't use it much
4) No preference on wired vs wireless solution - as long as everything works!
5) iOS 13 compatibility?

Can those of you who have installed the Joyeauto system provide your thoughts/comments? I hate having to use my phone's google maps and standing the iphone in the cup holders!

I very much appreciate and thank you all in advance!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

It was discussed Unique-AD product is similar to Joyeauto's hardware.

Software, however, is not.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
iOS 13 compatibility should be a non issue as CarPlay is all done on the phone...nothing the MMI box has to do but render the video the phone sends it.

06-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #4
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

From what I read, all retrofit audio quality are limited by Aux input quality.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:02 PM   #5
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

it seems like unique-ad is just the uk reseller of joyeauto. the iOS side of the firmware is pretty standard, the hardware side of the firmware is pretty much jouyauto, if not all joyeauto. how much of a difference can there really be? also my math may be a bit off, but unique is almost double the cost of joyeauto?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Just ordered wireless for cic!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsingh91 View Post
Hi everyone,
There are threads dedicated to other brands of the Apple Carplay retrofit solutions out there, so I thought I'd create one for Joyeauto to see if folks could chime in on their experiences with it as it seems to be one of the most budget friendly options.

I have the wired version from Unique AD (for the NBT nav) - which uses the car's mic. I haven't tried the new wireless versions but guessing audio would be better via USB plus the phone would be arrive charged to my destination...

Unique AD does not sell it anymore as they have gone fully wireless - I think my wired version was from some people called "Carlinkit"... when buying just make sure they will share firmware updates... Unique AD has been responsive and have shared new files when I asked.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Unique AD has been responsive and have shared new files when I asked.
Curious what files they gave you... what issues did they fix?

06-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
jsingh91
Rep

All, thank you for your responses. I actually bought the full NBT EVO ID6 upgrade from Nelson at Bimmertech. I didn't have to buy the new screen or idrive controls because what I had was sufficient so it was a bit cheaper. I plan to keep this car long term and wanted something as close to OEM as possible, with the new idrive system. Should ship and be delivered this week I believe. If anyone is interested, happy to create a new thread or reply to an existing one with my experience with the install. This will be my first DIY (besides some minor coding stuff via BimmerCode).
Appreciate 2
x-m4n148.00
      06-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #10
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
I actually bought the full NBT EVO ID6 upgrade from Nelson at Bimmertech. I didn't have to buy the new screen or idrive controls because what I had was sufficient so it was a bit cheaper.
What was the delta in price if you don't mind me asking? Last summer the delta for me would have been like £1k
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #11
jsingh91
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Quote:
I actually bought the full NBT EVO ID6 upgrade from Nelson at Bimmertech. I didn't have to buy the new screen or idrive controls because what I had was sufficient so it was a bit cheaper.
What was the delta in price if you don't mind me asking?
I'll PM you.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #12
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Can you PM me too on the price? I'm using NBT ID4. Does he trade in old NBT unit?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 04:34 AM   #13
Chris_ks
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 lci

Most answers here are out of topic, So is there anyone who can give us any feedback for Joyeauto Wireless CarPlay?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 08:21 AM   #14
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

CleanKM Has provided insight about Joyeauto solution.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1597999&page=7
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #15
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

I have seen that too, that’s why i am asking if there is any new feedback from him or anyone else..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 01:20 PM   #16
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ks View Post
I have seen that too, that's why i am asking if there is any new feedback from him or anyone else..
Sure I'll check in.

BLUF: I *still* love it and don't regret buying it.

I miss the size of the AVIN screen since I had to go back to my 8.8" from the 10.25". I tried to Frankenstein the screen also to use the carplay unit just as a video input, but the AVIN MCU can't decode the input property to display well. Might be a Hz problem, and if I have more time later on, I might give it another whirl.

The unit's stability itself is rock solid. The only issues I've had is with the iOS 13 Dev beta that I have and my phone getting hot in the sun. All iOS 12 devices have been working without any issues.

Either way, feel free to shoot over any questions, I'll be more then happy to help out.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2019, 07:36 PM   #17
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post
Sure I'll check in.

I miss the size of the AVIN screen since I had to go back to my 8.8" from the 10.25". I tried to Frankenstein the screen also to use the carplay unit just as a video input, but the AVIN MCU can't decode the input property to display well. Might be a Hz problem, and if I have more time later on, I might give it another whirl.

The unit's stability itself is rock solid. The only issues I've had is with the iOS 13 Dev beta that I have and my phone getting hot in the sun. All iOS 12 devices have been working without any issues.

Either way, feel free to shoot over any questions, I'll be more then happy to help out.
You are giving me the boost now with this update to go with Joye's.

Have you tried to play audio via iDrive OEM USB and use wireless Carplay at the same time?

I know Bluetooth does the job, but I was hoping one of the users here reports back about the results?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 09:41 PM   #18
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
Quote:
Sure I'll check in.

You are giving me the boost now with this update to go with Joye's.

Have you tried to play audio via iDrive OEM USB and use wireless Carplay at the same time?

I know Bluetooth does the job, but I was hoping one of the users here reports back about the results?
Just gave it a whirl. It works fine.

Plugged cable to armrest USB, was able to control through carplay and have audio out through dock.

However, you lose 1) Siri audio 2) Waze/Google/whatever guidance instructions and 3) the steering wheel scroll is screwy because since you're through the NBT USB, you can pick what song you want/go next and back, but the scroll also controls the carplay interface.

Personally, my AUX is fine for me and I don't have any problems with it. I run mine with full Joyeauto/aux. The only downside is that callers can sometimes hear themselves when we are on the phone.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-30-2019, 09:57 PM   #19
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Plugged cable to armrest USB, was able to control through carplay and have audio out through dock.

However, you lose 1) Siri audio 2) Waze/Google/whatever guidance instructions and 3) the steering wheel scroll is screwy because since you're through the NBT USB, you can pick what song you want/go next and back, but the scroll also controls the carplay interface.

Personally, my AUX is fine for me and I don't have any problems with it. I run mine with full Joyeauto/aux. The only downside is that callers can sometimes hear themselves when we are on the phone.
Much appreciated.

It is just as a backup plan should AUX audio quality is not acceptable to play over OEM or Bluetooth.

I suspect the issue with the phone calls would be optimizing Carplay mic (location, sound level, etc.) but I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 11:11 PM   #20
CleanKM
SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
Quote:

Much appreciated.

It is just as a backup plan should AUX audio quality is not acceptable to play over OEM or Bluetooth.

I suspect the issue with the phone calls would be optimizing Carplay mic (location, sound level, etc.) but I could be wrong.
No problem, here to help. As a backup, it is totally fine, keeping in mind the limitations if you go that way.

I've been thinking about that, but the problem is that i think it is always in full-duplex audio or the system isn't smart enough to decode/noise cancel the transmission out. So since the other person's voice is transmitted through all 4 speakers, no matter where you put it, the audio will be transmitted. Ofcourse keeping in mind the mic is located somewhere that you can actually use it. The other thing i have to look into is to see if i can somehow modify some wiring in order to use the OEM mics. I thought about putting the carplay one where the OEM driver's is, but the space as alittle tight when i popped it out and frankly i was in alittle bit of a rush at that time.

If anyone has any experience in splicing/modifying the OEM mic's, i'd be interested in hearing it.
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2019, 04:18 AM   #21
born2lose
Rep
Drives: bmw f36

hey CleanKM - since you've offered to help, can you please show me where you've routed the mic? and also - this unit has it's own usb cable, right? where did you mount that?

I've seen some youtube clips where they mount the usb by the driver's or passenger's knee, I really don't feel comfortable with that setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #22
Chris_ks
Private
Rep

Something more, except the important location of mic, where did you place the wifi antenna for best signal?
P.s. CleanKM thanks for your helpful answers..
Appreciate 0