F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > LOOK, L@@K, look at this!! Champions!!!!
Extreme Powerhouse

03-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #89
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Such a shame regardless but there are more important things to worry about right now
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #90
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncho View Post
Such a shame regardless but there are more important things to worry about right now
God, it must be serious!
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #91
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
God, it must be serious!
They've stopped the panini stickers
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 03:10 AM   #92
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

England captain, voice of reason....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52086428
      03-30-2020, 03:34 AM   #93
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post

If they could just manage one more game it could put you out of your misery, City lose, Liverpool win, they are guaranteed the title..... so rest could be scrapped but LFC made champions. seems fair to me...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 03:39 AM   #94
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:

Sentiment certainly seems to be moving towards cancelling the current season if it can't be completed by the end of June (and that's already looking pretty much impossible). Will be hard on Liverpool if that happens - and on all the teams in promotion places in the lower divisions - but I guess those in the relegation spots or close to the bottom will breath a sigh of relief.

I think the only way 2019/20 will be completed is if the coronavirus problems last for so long it means a full 2020/21 season couldn't be completed either; in that scenario it would arguably better to finish a season that's 75% complete than start a new one you know you can't finish. However, if the effects of coronavirus drag on for that long it really will be horrendous and I'm sure we all hope it won't come to that...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 03:55 AM   #95
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Sentiment certainly seems to be moving towards cancelling the current season if it can't be completed by the end of June (and that's already looking pretty much impossible). Will be hard on Liverpool if that happens - and on all the teams in promotion places in the lower divisions - but I guess those in the relegation spots or close to the bottom will breath a sigh of relief.

I think the only way 2019/20 will be completed is if the coronavirus problems last for so long it means a full 2020/21 season couldn't be completed either; in that scenario it would arguably better to finish a season that's 75% complete than start a new one you know you can't finish. However, if the effects of coronavirus drag on for that long it really will be horrendous and I'm sure we all hope it won't come to that...
Already said they are not completing the leagues below the national league and its north and south feeders, and that has already brought threats of legal action by those in promotion positions.

Would be hard on Barrow who are, against the odds, top of the national league and heading for a return to the football league....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 05:05 AM   #96
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post

Already said they are not completing the leagues below the national league and its north and south feeders, and that has already brought threats of legal action by those in promotion positions.

Would be hard on Barrow who are, against the odds, top of the national league and heading for a return to the football league....
Yes, in a sense the precedent's been set albeit the Premier League and the EFL are a different kettle of fish from the National Leagues. However, if you go beyond 30th June it does become more difficult as you have things like players coming out of contract and the transfer window to consider; I also think there will need to be some sort of consensus across Europe and being honest it seems highly unlikely that countries like Italy and Spain will be resuming professional football in time to complete their respective seasons by the end of June.

That said, in the grand scheme of things football at any level is pretty irrelevant at the moment...
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 05:27 AM   #97
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

I also wonder whether being Champions will feel pyrrhic and sullied anyway. Not because the season wasn't completed. But just because of the whole situation. Would you celebrate, at the time or later? Or ever want to really talk about it. I think it's a bigger deal for the clubs in relegation and promotion spots.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 05:29 AM   #98
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

I just don’t know what to think about it any more!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 05:33 AM   #99
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I just don’t know what to think about it any more!
The noisy neighbours can say what they like, two seasons in a row they have been nowhere near even your coat tails. The noisiest they have been all season is since it looked like you may not get the title - which i think says more about them than anything......

Klopp has pretty much killed any sport they had there with his comments too. Such a class act. Him and Wilder can share manager of the year!
Appreciate 2
mcoops1757.00
Broncho2310.00
      04-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #100
JNW1
Major General
Rep

So I see Belgium have become the first European league to cancel their season; however, rather than it being declared null and void they've awarded the title to the current leaders (Club Bruges) and are going to use a working party to determine relegation and promotion places. Can't really see that approach working here, suspect it would just be a recipe for loads of litigation....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52138270
Appreciate 2
JustChris17483.00
isleaiw18751.50
      04-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #101
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep

I’m not sure it’d feel right without playing the games even behind closed doors

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.l...l-18050728.amp
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #102
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:

I think it would be right to give it them. Whilst it’s technically possible someone could catch them, in reality no one could even if Liverpool lost every remaining game. Would be wrong to just wipe their achievements.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #103
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I think it would be right to give it them. Whilst it’s technically possible someone could catch them, in reality no one could even if Liverpool lost every remaining game. Would be wrong to just wipe their achievements.
The only team that can catch them technically is city so presumably if they say that Liverpool should be awarded the title then PL will struggle not to...

Come on Pep, do the right thing...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 12:39 PM   #104
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm the first to agree Liverpool deserve the title this season but in my view you can't just give it to them; of course it's highly unlikely they'd fail to finish the job given the opportunity but the fact remains mathematically it's not yet a done deal.

Moreover, if you say the season ends with the table as it stands - which is effectively what you'd have to do to give Liverpool the title - what do you do about the relegation places? If you just relegate the existing bottom three as they stand Villa would go down but they've played a game less than the teams around them and were they to win that match they'd be out of the relegation zone. So I can't see them just accepting the current table as final and shrugging their shoulders as they head back to the Championship!

To me the only valid options are to either finish the current season - if necessary behind closed doors - or void it altogether. Personally I'd much prefer the former even if that means delaying the start to the 2020/21 season; however, the "solution" of awarding titles, relegation and (presumably) promotion based on the tables as they stand is fraught with difficulties - the lawyers would have a field day IMO....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:15 PM   #105
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The only team that can catch them technically is city so presumably if they say that Liverpool should be awarded the title then PL will struggle not to...

As his mum died of coronavirus yesterday he might not give a monkeys about football or Liverpool right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #106
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

As his mum died of coronavirus yesterday he might not give a monkeys about football or Liverpool right now.
Did she? Oh crap

I think almost all PL teams have committees to finishing the season so it won't be in question and rightly so.
      04-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #107
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Did she? Oh crap

I think almost all PL teams have committees to finishing the season so it won't be in question and rightly so.
I don’t see how anyone can commit to anything unless they have a crystal ball.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:27 PM   #108
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Did she? Oh crap

I don’t see how anyone can commit to anything unless they have a crystal ball.
Well they are committed to their TV revenue for sure
      04-22-2020, 01:54 AM   #109
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Belgium 🇧🇪 Cancelled
Netherlands 🇳🇱 Cancelled

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52376543
      04-22-2020, 02:30 AM   #110
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Belgium 🇧🇪 Cancelled
Netherlands 🇳🇱 Cancelled

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52376543
Nearly cancelled. Pretty sure they all will be.

If safe, I think closed doors for the Premier League would be a good idea. And Sky and whoever else making it free to air for the good of the mental health of sports addicts.

Doesn’t seem likely though.
Appreciate 0