F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > HELP! N55 Leaking Oil
Studio RSR

02-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
whydillon
Rep
Drives: 15' 435ix M Perf

HELP! N55 Leaking Oil

Hello,

Recently my n55 started leaking oil, it was very minimal but my car just hit "Minimal Oil Level" and it is now parked, until this issue is fixed so I don't cause any damages to the engine itself.

SIDE NOTE: I live in Canada and it's very cold here so the oil may not leak as fast, the reason I say this is because overtime I park outside when its cold it leaks very minimal, but when I park in the garage or when its warm outside theres more of a puddle

After some research I'm going to assume it's my Oil Filter Housing Gaskets or my Oil Filter Cover, but I could be wrong and potentially it's something else.

Here are some photos of the top/side/underneath my Oil Filter Housing, looking for a second opinion, should I go ahead and replace the gaskets and the Oil Filter Cover? Or just the gaskets?

If you need any more info/pictures let me know.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:52 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Clean the area thoroughly, put some UV dye in your oil to trace the leak.

It's not likely that the oil filter cover is leaking, but the O-ring inside it may be. That happens a lot if the filter isn't replaced with an OEM grade Mann or Mahle.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:33 PM   #3
whydillon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Clean the area thoroughly, put some UV dye in your oil to trace the leak.

It's not likely that the oil filter cover is leaking, but the O-ring inside it may be. That happens a lot if the filter isn't replaced with an OEM grade Mann or Mahle.
I plan on doing an oil change asap and I am going to be using this oil filter:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...7CL4*-49999785

Should I use the o-rings that come with it? Or should I go to the dealership and pick up the OEM BMW ones?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:55 PM   #4
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sedan

I am in Canada also, Surrey, BC.
I went through this about 1 year ago and then again 6 months ago again.
it looked exactly like this.

first time I used cheap gaskets and within 6 months or less, it started leaking again.
2nd time Oil got on my belt and Tensioner, and started speaking to me.

I don't think in your case it's the housing, just the OFHG.

I have done this job 4 times on 2 different vehicles and got really sick of doing it.
I think this time I found the right way to do it.

1) watch this video: you want the updated Gaskets from BMW OEM....easily found on ebay for 30ish.
Just a Note, that the new BMW Gaskets come with nubs all around, for both OFHG and OIL Cooler Gasket.....so get the correct ones.

2) Now for me, the word reduced leak was not good enough for me.
so I called Permetek local product manager and explained my situation, and he stated, that I should be using Permetek Ultra Grey, along side the new Gaskets.
(so far 1 year, no leaks.)

3) after cleaning both surfacesm and the groves in the OFH, then place a VERY small bead of Utlra in the grove, first in the OFH, then install the Gasket, now the Gasket if installed properly will stick out a bit, now ad another small bead of Ultra Grey, but this time, make the upside down V Shape all along the Gasket to the metal.

4) Install and THUMB Tighten ONLY.
5) same procedure for OIL Cooler Gasket.

6) Wait like an hour, or for it to cure, follow recommended wait times according to Ultra Grey packaging.

7) Torque all Bolts to correct Torque Values, (DO NOT Over Tighten)
8) Wait 24 Hours before starting your car.

No More leaks.

if you got oil on the belt, replace it.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydillon View Post
I plan on doing an oil change asap and I am going to be using this oil filter:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...7CL4*-49999785
Why? Don't believe advertising hype. Use the OEM filter, save some $$$. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...1-8195#fitment
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:54 PM   #6
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

I do not recommend using the K&N PS-7014. A neighbor, also with an N55 F30, did so a year or so ago and immediately had a leak at the Filter cap. When we examined the O-ring, we discovered that instead of being round, it was oval and there by not providing adequate seal. I sent it to K&N with details of what happened- never got a response. Don't know if that was just a wrong O-ring or all of the PS-7014s are like that. Stick with a MANN/OEM filter kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:23 PM   #7
whydillon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
I do not recommend using the K&N PS-7014. A neighbor, also with an N55 F30, did so a year or so ago and immediately had a leak at the Filter cap. When we examined the O-ring, we discovered that instead of being round, it was oval and there by not providing adequate seal. I sent it to K&N with details of what happened- never got a response. Don't know if that was just a wrong O-ring or all of the PS-7014s are like that. Stick with a MANN/OEM filter kit.
Was the filter itself good?

Pretty set on the K&N PS-7014 oil filter, might still buy it and just purchase the OEM BMW O-Rings as well instead of using the K&N O-Rings as you mentioned they may not seal properly.

I don't mind spending extra money to make my engine happier lol, I just want whats best.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:25 PM   #8
whydillon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashShah View Post
I am in Canada also, Surrey, BC.
I went through this about 1 year ago and then again 6 months ago again.
it looked exactly like this.

first time I used cheap gaskets and within 6 months or less, it started leaking again.
2nd time Oil got on my belt and Tensioner, and started speaking to me.

I don't think in your case it's the housing, just the OFHG.

I have done this job 4 times on 2 different vehicles and got really sick of doing it.
I think this time I found the right way to do it.

1) watch this video: you want the updated Gaskets from BMW OEM....easily found on ebay for 30ish.
Just a Note, that the new BMW Gaskets come with nubs all around, for both OFHG and OIL Cooler Gasket.....so get the correct ones.

2) Now for me, the word reduced leak was not good enough for me.
so I called Permetek local product manager and explained my situation, and he stated, that I should be using Permetek Ultra Grey, along side the new Gaskets.
(so far 1 year, no leaks.)

3) after cleaning both surfacesm and the groves in the OFH, then place a VERY small bead of Utlra in the grove, first in the OFH, then install the Gasket, now the Gasket if installed properly will stick out a bit, now ad another small bead of Ultra Grey, but this time, make the upside down V Shape all along the Gasket to the metal.

4) Install and THUMB Tighten ONLY.
5) same procedure for OIL Cooler Gasket.

6) Wait like an hour, or for it to cure, follow recommended wait times according to Ultra Grey packaging.

7) Torque all Bolts to correct Torque Values, (DO NOT Over Tighten)
8) Wait 24 Hours before starting your car.

No More leaks.

if you got oil on the belt, replace it.

Good luck.
Thank you.

This video you provided cleared up a ton of information that I was not aware of such as the gasket design flaw, gonna have to upgrade to the new ones for sure!

Also, do you know where I can find the information on how much to Torque each bolt, I'd hate to have another leak from being too loose/too tight as you mentioned!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 09:47 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't mind spending extra money to make my engine happier lol, I just want whats best.
Mann/Mahle OEM are best. That's why BMW uses them. It's not a Fiat.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 01:15 AM   #10
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you.

This video you provided cleared up a ton of information that I was not aware of such as the gasket design flaw, gonna have to upgrade to the new ones for sure!

Also, do you know where I can find the information on how much to Torque each bolt, I'd hate to have another leak from being too loose/too tight as you mentioned!
See attached.
Page 32 of 38.
22nm for the OFH E Bolts.
OIL Cooler Lines only 1 Bolt is 8nm on page 36 of 38
use this link to convert from nm to foot pounds
https://www.unitconverters.net/energy/nm-to-ft-lb.htm

good luck
and DO NOT Over tighten, then you crush the stupid design very easily.
this is why i used the Permetek Ultra Grey.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ISTAD Oil Filter Housing Gasket V1.pdf (3.27 MB, 228 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 05:04 PM   #11
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Don't know. It was only installed for short time due to the leak. He decided to be safe and stick with the Mann. You pay more for the K&N and then add getting the O-ring. Why bother? It's not like the K&N is going to give you more HP! I've used Mann's in all my BMWs without a single issue. I get mine through FCPEUR for $8.79 AND get reimbursed for that amount when I return the used filter and o-rings, after the 2nd purchase- No Brainer for me!

Quote:
Was the filter itself good?

Pretty set on the K&N PS-7014 oil filter, might still buy it and just purchase the OEM BMW O-Rings as well instead of using the K&N O-Rings as you mentioned they may not seal properly.

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #12
whydillon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashShah View Post
See attached.
Page 32 of 38.
22nm for the OFH E Bolts.
OIL Cooler Lines only 1 Bolt is 8nm on page 36 of 38
use this link to convert from nm to foot pounds
https://www.unitconverters.net/energy/nm-to-ft-lb.htm

good luck
and DO NOT Over tighten, then you crush the stupid design very easily.
this is why i used the Permetek Ultra Grey.
I see that the PDF you attached is for a F30 335i N55, will the torque be the same for a 15' F32 435xi N55?

Just want to double check lol
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
whydillon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Don't know. It was only installed for short time due to the leak. He decided to be safe and stick with the Mann. You pay more for the K&N and then add getting the O-ring. Why bother? It's not like the K&N is going to give you more HP! I've used Mann's in all my BMWs without a single issue. I get mine through FCPEUR for $8.79 AND get reimbursed for that amount when I return the used filter and o-rings, after the 2nd purchase- No Brainer for me!
Sounds good, yeah I'm not gonna risk it, I'll just use the OEM ones and play it safe!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 12:10 AM   #14
BashShah
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I see that the PDF you attached is for a F30 335i N55, will the torque be the same for a 15' F32 435xi N55?

Just want to double check lol
I am pretty sure it is for all N55.
just an FYI, it was the same torque for my N54 also....LOL

The OFH is and has been the same since the 2006.
the design has not changed at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:09 PM   #15
bmw4jh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

What about the oil cooler lines O rings? I have seen a few videos and, only one person replaced those O rings. Any input?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:46 PM   #16
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you are replacing the front OFH gaskets, change the Oil Cooler o-rings as well. You have it apart anyway and those o-rings are considered "single" use.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #17
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw4jh View Post
What about the oil cooler lines O rings? I have seen a few videos and, only one person replaced those O rings. Any input?
Replace them along with the oil cooler gasket.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #18
bmw4jh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Finished the job!

FYI, I successfully replaced both gaskets along with the two oil cooler "O" rings. I used OE BMW gaskets/rings. The difference in price between OE and after marker parts is negligible if you consider the amount of work involved to install them. After buying and comparing both Elring vs BMW OE, I decided to go with OE.
They are definitely different. However, I did not check any other after market brands for comparison. On the other hand, you can probably use after market "O" rings for the oil cooler lines since they are relatively easy to reach and replace.
      05-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #19
Honeypot68
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: GONE

Quote:
Hello,

Recently my n55 started leaking oil, it was very minimal but my car just hit "Minimal Oil Level" and it is now parked, until this issue is fixed so I don't cause any damages to the engine itself.

SIDE NOTE: I live in Canada and it's very cold here so the oil may not leak as fast, the reason I say this is because overtime I park outside when its cold it leaks very minimal, but when I park in the garage or when its warm outside theres more of a puddle

After some research I'm going to assume it's my Oil Filter Housing Gaskets or my Oil Filter Cover, but I could be wrong and potentially it's something else.

Here are some photos of the top/side/underneath my Oil Filter Housing, looking for a second opinion, should I go ahead and replace the gaskets and the Oil Filter Cover? Or just the gaskets?

If you need any more info/pictures let me know.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a OFHG leak. There are two gaskets that are on the oil filter housing. These are standard maintenance items at about 40-50k mark. Try replacing the gaskets first and seeing if that solves the issue. A competent bmw mechanic will do the job for about 4-700, but honestly, it's a pretty simple job, just requires some time. I completed mine in about 2-3 hours. And do yourself a favor, replace the two o ring gaskets that mate the two plastic tubes that goes from your oil cooler into the oil filter housing. This will leak if it isn't replaced. And use new bolts and follow the instructions if you diy it!
Appreciate 0