F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Center pillar trim replacement write up
ARMA SPEED

03-15-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
Bimmadrae
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 440i GC

Center pillar trim replacement write up

So pretty much as stated in the title I'm replacing my door trim which I ruined with brake fluid. Long story short during a caliper removal project I compressed a piston and brake fluid shot out and onto the trim and I never wiped it off. Low and behold the corrosive brake fluid ate through the trim and ruined it. I originally attempted to price through BMW smh and they quoted me a figure over $100 for the part and stated it'd at least be an hour for labor that'd be $180 an hour to fix and those figures ushered me right through the door. Btw I asked them for a part number and they said they don't provide those...which I found a little odd but I get it, stealership. Found the part online through ebay, seller was sfv autoparts and its either part number (51-35-7-453-304) and by name its either center pillar trim or column B trim cover. I looked on the forum for a GC replacement write up and didn't see one but it the back only had 2 holes for screws so figured it to be doable. See pics below.

Not sure how to put txt below each individual picture but if you notice besides the two screws to remove there are 4 rubber seatings on the back of the trim. Once you remove the screws you notice it has some vertical play allowing you to slide it down that slide lock apparatus on the vehicle. The trim then moves off the car with the rubber molding lining the outside of the trim. Unseat them from the 4 rubber seatings and replace and reline the new trim with the rubber and slide the trim up the slide lock then replace the 2 screws. Def pleased to have done it myself, with the look, and to have saved some change in the process.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 02:18 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Wrapping is another alternative. I did mine with CF vinyl to match my mirror covers that I'd already wrapped, and because I was tired of having to polish out the spider webbing every spring. I did my C pillar trim as well, which is held in place with double sided tape.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
Bimmadrae
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Wrapping is another alternative. I did mine with CF vinyl to match my mirror covers that I'd already wrapped, and because I was tired of having to polish out the spider webbing every spring. I did my C pillar trim as well, which is held in place with double sided tape.
Funny thing is I thought about doing the same but wasnt too sure about my wrapping skills, I've never tried before. You have pics of the CF wrap? Curious to see
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 05:07 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It's an excellent starter project, as there's a minimum of stretching required.

This takes a wee bit more experience.

Appreciate 2
Der2z15.00
      03-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #5
Bimmadrae
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It's an excellent starter project, as there's a minimum of stretching required.

This takes a wee bit more experience.

That looks really good and a clean job, thanks for the suggestion. I think I might hold on to the old trim and use that as my practice tool for wrapping. Is that vinyl high gloss? Ive always been worried certain CF wraps might be duller or more matte than I want.
Appreciate 0