F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Repairable or must be replaced?
GetBMWParts

03-19-2020, 04:12 AM   #1
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 black F30 N55

Earlier I hit the garage door sensor in my car. It scratched my bumper and front lip pretty badly. I sent out some pics to get quotes from companies. Now I'm just waiting on a reply. Does anybody have any experience with scratches this deep? If so, was it repaired or replaced? And how much did it cost?
Attached Images

03-22-2020, 02:32 AM   #2
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Doubt the lip will be cost effective to fix. Will probably need a full respray of the bumper sadly.
The good news is i've had much worse fixed and you won't need a whole new bumper since you definitely didn't crack the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 10:58 PM   #3
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidr3 View Post
Doubt the lip will be cost effective to fix. Will probably need a full respray of the bumper sadly.
The good news is i've had much worse fixed and you won't need a whole new bumper since you definitely didn't crack the bumper.
It's the RW Carbon front lip. So I feel like repairing it might be less. I never have gotten something repainted before. Also, the bumper actually does have a hair line crack that I didn't notice. I'll send a picture tomorrow when it's brighter outside. Does a small crack on a bumper mean it has to be replaced? I'm really bummed this happened. I can't believe it did.
      03-22-2020, 11:02 PM   #4
jsouth
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

And relocate the sensor! Why the f is it out in the open? They're usually protected behind the door opening. Find the installer and whip them...
Appreciate 1
jcordier162.50
      03-22-2020, 11:09 PM   #5
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouth View Post
And relocate the sensor! Why the f is it out in the open? They're usually protected behind the door opening. Find the installer and whip them...
I agree. The sensor should be protected by something other than this metal thing its in, and positioned differently. I've never had a problem before until recently. It's annoying how it's positioned. I'll send pics tomorrow.
      03-23-2020, 03:39 AM   #6
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcordier View Post
It's the RW Carbon front lip. So I feel like repairing it might be less. I never have gotten something repainted before. Also, the bumper actually does have a hair line crack that I didn't notice. I'll send a picture tomorrow when it's brighter outside. Does a small crack on a bumper mean it has to be replaced? I'm really bummed this happened. I can't believe it did.
I mean, it'll always be weaker then the original, but I think it should be repaired if it's hairline. The issue is cost as it will need a whole respray + repair. Might wanna weigh your options and possibly buy a new bumper. May be a little extra but worth it long term. First step is to see a good body shop.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is the crack on the bumper. I guess my lip has a small one too. Ughhh, my lip is https://ind-distribution.com/collect...nt-lip-spoiler. So I hope it's repairable with my bumper because it's pretty expensive. I thought it was rw Carbon but my rear diffuser is the rw Carbon part on my car.
Attached Images

03-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #8
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is the crack on the bumper. I guess my lip has a small one too. Ughhh, my lip is https://ind-distribution.com/collect...nt-lip-spoiler. So I hope it's repairable with my bumper because it's pretty expensive. I thought it was rw Carbon but my rear diffuser is the rw Carbon part on my car.
Got a quote for 600.00 which includes repairing and respraying the lip. 400 if they don't take the lip off. Does that seem steep?
      03-25-2020, 06:19 PM   #9
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Got a quote for 600.00 which includes repairing and respraying the lip. 400 if they don't take the lip off. Does that seem steep?
Here in the Wash DC area that is the going rate for bumper cover respray by the better shops.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
jcordier162.50