F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > ER turbo to IC charge pipe
Extreme Powerhouse

04-01-2020, 05:32 AM   #1
Carlosskrr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f36

ER turbo to IC charge pipe

I bought a CSF intercooler and a ER turbo to Intercooler charge pipe for my N20 and ran into some fitment issues, first off the washers CSF give you don't even fit, had to go and get bigger washers so it can mount properly, and then the ER turbo to intercooler pipe was probably the hardest install I've done, the part that connects to the IC came up higher than where the part that meets the turbo, after a lot of moving around I managed to get it but because of that mounting the intercooler and the boost pipe took me about 5-6 hours. I find it crazy because when I mounted the ER chargepipe I had 0 issues and it took me a hour and a half. has anyone else had similar experiences ? Or was this just me? Love to get some feedback to see if I did something wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 06:06 AM   #2
Carlosskrr
Private First Class
Rep

Also noticed 0 performance gains, ( going off of the Idrive sport display ) it reads 257 hp at the crank at 7rpms which is what it was reading before. all I noticed was the turbo spool was louder. Was expecting some noticeable gains considering everywhere it tells you you get 20 hp from an upgraded intercooler, Did i do something wrong? Or am I just expecting way too much
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #3
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Can't comment on the fitment issue, but an IC will not give you any gains. It just keeps the intake temp down longer. So if your temps were fine before, nothing will change. And using the sport displays is the most useless way to gauge anything.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosskrr View Post
Also noticed 0 performance gains, ( going off of the Idrive sport display ) it reads 257 hp at the crank at 7rpms which is what it was reading before. all I noticed was the turbo spool was louder. Was expecting some noticeable gains considering everywhere it tells you you get 20 hp from an upgraded intercooler, Did i do something wrong? Or am I just expecting way too much
idrive sports display values are calculated based on throttle, etc. so they're not real so any physical performance mod won't change those values. if you pick up something like a dinantronics sports, you'll get added hp but the sports display won't change

but, anyways a fmic and cp doesn't add much hp/tq. they help the car be more consistent

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

I dont know what other mods you have but if you put a intercooler with a volume greater than what your car flows, it will actually be a detriment to performance at takeeoff.

Also there's an n20 engine subforums where you'll find a lot more info and get more response
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Carlosskrr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
I dont know what other mods you have but if you put a intercooler with a volume greater than what your car flows, it will actually be a detriment to performance at takeeoff.

Also there's an n20 engine subforums where you'll find a lot more info and get more response
Intake, IC chargepipe and turbo to IC charge pipe that's pretty much it. It runs great no check engine or anything but I guess I just thought I would've felt the car have a little more power by now, all I notice is the turbo spooling louder than before
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

If you get a downpipe along with a stage 2 flash you'll have the flow more appropriate for your intecooler.

Intecoolers don't add power, per se, but keeps the power you're making longer by mitigating heatsoak.

Think of the 20hp gain as what's often lost with a less efficient intercooler. Hot summer months is where you'll notice that your power is not dropping like it would with a less efficient intercooler.

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 04-01-2020 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #8
Carlosskrr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
If you get a downpipe along with a stage 2 flash you'll have the flow more appropriate for your intecooler.

Intecoolers don't add power, per se, but keeps the power you're making longer by mitigating heatsoak.

Think of the 20hp gain as what's often lost with a less efficient intercooler, when it's hot outside. Hot summer months is where you'll notice that your power is not dropping as without a good intercooler.
Ahhh okay makes sense. Thanks for your feedback bro This is my first bmw that I'm modding so I'm kinda a noob 😓
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #9
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep

No worries, everybody starts off as a noob. Check out the N20 subforums when you have a chance, there's a lot of info here... https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=422

There's also subforums for wheels, suspension, audio, etc, as well.
Appreciate 1