F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Advice required please..
ARMA SPEED

04-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #1
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

So I have an additive manufacturing company. (3D Printing) we do many other engineering projects but the AM side is quite big.

Anyway I designed a face shield which we will produce for free for any NHS staff that want one, we can prob produce between 100 and 200 a week for local hospitals , care homes etc. I have designed the shield in conjunction with some doctors friends, it needs some tweaks but is essentially ready to go.

So I pasted on facebook asking any doctor/nurse friends if they wanted some. I had load of reply's saying they did which is shit for many reason but at least we can help.

I then had a post from a friend who makes PPE basically saying I would go to jail if the product failed etc.

We are making these FOC, they are not CE certified etc etc I am sure he is partially trying to save his job..

GBR1
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
Hooded1669.00
RobUK2811.00
DB118D1026.00
AndyMD339.00
hilift72.50
Eddamoo391.00
      04-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #2
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Maybe need a contact in Purchasing in the NHS? They’d know the regs I’m thinking...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #3
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

Chap I know said: Get CE approval. Supposed to be very quick now 2-3 days they have created a speedy way to do it. That is what they were saying. Best to get some made then give it to a pharmacist. They know what to do. No idea f that helps?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #4
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Issue 1 : ensuring it complies with the CE markings, is suitable for use

Issue 2 : ensuring it is safe for staff to use in other ways. By this, I mean : What steps are taken to ensure that (for example) the people making the visors, if they had or were carrying coronovirus, were not then leaving it on the visors, for it to be transmitted to the NHS staff using the visors.
So a cleaning / sterilising regime. In big industry, this is often done by radiation dosing. Which means you've got to ensure that you are putting enough of a dose into the visor to kill everything, but not so much as to give the staff using it radiation burns or sickness !
If you decided to use an alcohol gel to finish the visors, then that's probably going to react with the plastics, making them brittle and not fit for use.

Yes, it can be done. But those are just a couple of the steps that have to be taken

Sorry if that's raining on the parade of a good idea. The pic looks a really good quality visor with great protection, and even a really decent strap.

My old post (private sector, before I joined the NHS), I spent a few years doing medical advice classification and certification. It's an awful field, incredibly complex, and the regulations completely change every few years. In fact, they were due to change again in May.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #5
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

A friend of mine, working on a collaborative basis with contacts cross-industry, apparently designed and achieved regulatory approval for a new type of ventilator in under a week.

On that basis surely approval for a face shield should be pretty straightforward. Just a matter of reaching the approporiate point of contact.

I'll see what I can find out.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:29 PM   #6
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post

I then had a post from a friend who makes PPE basically saying I would go to jail if the product failed etc.

We are making these FOC, they are not CE certified etc etc I am sure he is partially trying to save his job..

GBR1
We are in extraordinary times, idiots who still think management/red tape brigade is still in charge needs to come and spend a day on the COVID19 wards!!

I'll PM you my work address if you want to send some for me to have a look at.

As far as am concerned protection for our staff is the most important thing right now, anyone who wants to put red tape in the way of that can do one!!
Appreciate 2
Stainy265.00
      04-01-2020, 11:25 PM   #7
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

This is great GBR1 - what a fantastic contribution if it comes off

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 01:23 AM   #8
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

We're supplying a conglomerate of 3D'ers with the clear visor part for this project; https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints...ace-shield-rc2 maybe you can get involved. We're currently die-cutting 80,000 full face visors for frontline NHS and the clear material has switched from PET/PETG to pretty much ANY clear plastic.

Concentric are also heavily involved and have the ability to produce on a scale that is mortals can only dream of. The total cost per visor from them is £1.50.

We've just sent five tonne of PVC to Babcock in Plymouth for the same project too.

My friend is in charge of our local A&E and he confirms they're short of everything and they've hardly had any COVID-19 cases compared to other hospitals but what he did say, was provided they're donated and not intended to be used for surgical applications then he would happily wear them as they're better than nothing (even thought not CE).

Nursing homes, hostels and other unrecognised establishments are also woefully I equipped to deal with this so they'd be just as grateful to you.
DB118D1026.00
      04-02-2020, 03:27 AM   #9
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dMSport+ View Post
We're supplying a conglomerate of 3D'ers with the clear visor part for this project; https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints...ace-shield-rc2 maybe you can get involved. We're currently die-cutting 80,000 full face visors for frontline NHS and the clear material has switched from PET/PETG to pretty much ANY clear plastic.

Concentric are also heavily involved and have the ability to produce on a scale that is mortals can only dream of. The total cost per visor from them is £1.50.

We've just sent five tonne of PVC to Babcock in Plymouth for the same project too.

My friend is in charge of our local A&E and he confirms they're short of everything and they've hardly had any COVID-19 cases compared to other hospitals but what he did say, was provided they're donated and not intended to be used for surgical applications then he would happily wear them as they're better than nothing (even thought not CE).

Nursing homes, hostels and other unrecognised establishments are also woefully I equipped to deal with this so they'd be just as grateful to you.
Fabulous work all round, just make sure you keep an eye out for Greta when this is all over as she will be on the war path with all this plastic usage ......... how dare you !!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:19 AM   #10
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Excellent initiative. You will not be punished for trying to do good even if it all did go wrong. Get them made and distributed as quick as you can.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:20 AM   #11
GBR1
Captain
Rep

Thanks all, i have been very open and honest with people about these and overnight i have been in touch with some Procurement people from the NHS which are basically saying send me what you have, they don't care at this point about CE markings etc.

Ultimately the reason we went with the shields (over masks or ventilators) is the shield is a shield, its clear PETG, it will stop something. Is the design perfect, probably not but it will help.

gangzoom pm me your address and i will send some up for testing/use!
Appreciate 6
DB118D1026.00
isleaiw18768.00
gangzoom1685.00
      04-02-2020, 04:24 AM   #12
GBR1
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I know that project well and they are doing good work. The problem with their solution is it takes too long to print (5 hrs) vs 20 min for my design. Plus its an open top which seems to be a no no. Again much better than nothing but if we can make something "different" but is well received and as importantly quicker then that's a good thing!

Our cost, outside of labour and printer time is around 75pence per shield, as a company we are more than happy to suck this up and get as many as we can to our key workers..

Keep up the good work!
Appreciate 4
RobUK2811.00
DB118D1026.00
      04-02-2020, 04:54 AM   #13
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

There's lots of people been doing it for all while but just join up with these guys linked below seem to be better setup. I've just bought a 3d printer so plan to help as I'm far up north/Scotland

Lots of people joined, reputable and they'll get certified I think.

https://www.3dcrowd.uk/

Keep up the good work 👍
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 05:30 AM   #14
AndyMD
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Golf R 2020

All the best with this. Is this something you could push out to other manufacturers with access to the same kit?

Currently learnt a lesson
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #15
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Great idea!!!

If you can support high volumes on the screen part, it might be worth looking at injection moulding? Let me know if interested. We could knock these out at thousands per day.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #16
GBR1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Great idea!!!

If you can support high volumes on the screen part, it might be worth looking at injection moulding? Let me know if interested. We could knock these out at thousands per day.
This is certainly the smart route to go down! Just depends on tooling cost and lead time!?

I will PM you the cad file.

Thank you

GBR1
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18768.00
      04-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XD

Quote:
Thanks all, i have been very open and honest with people about these and overnight i have been in touch with some Procurement people from the NHS which are basically saying send me what you have, they don't care at this point about CE markings etc.

Ultimately the reason we went with the shields (over masks or ventilators) is the shield is a shield, its clear PETG, it will stop something. Is the design perfect, probably not but it will help.

This...

I have just been stood down on a project to build a field hospital that didn't run.. BUT, we had several conversations that HTM's and HBN's are currently lowish on the list of compliance, as with all these things, if its the best they have its better than nothing.

Nice one BTW - I hope they serve the teams well.
      04-02-2020, 10:50 AM   #18
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454697819 View Post
This...

I have just been stood down on a project to build a field hospital that didn't run.. BUT, we had several conversations that HTM's and HBN's are currently lowish on the list of compliance, as with all these things, if its the best they have its better than nothing.

Nice one BTW - I hope they serve the teams well.
Is the fact that the field hospital project got canned a good sign that they dont think they will need the extra capacity originally anticipated? Or am I being a foolish optimist...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #19
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:

Have sent you PM
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #20
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Great idea!!!

Swanline print in Stone are die cutting the clear visors for us (working with 3dCrowd)

The Photocentric ones are CE marked but honestly, I'm not a massive fan of the design for holding the visor on and I've fed this back to them.
      04-02-2020, 12:39 PM   #21
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajs_435d View Post
There's lots of people been doing it for all while but just join up with these guys linked below seem to be better setup. I've just bought a 3d printer so plan to help as I'm far up north/Scotland

Lots of people joined, reputable and they'll get certified I think.

https://www.3dcrowd.uk/

Keep up the good work 👍
Which printer did you go for. Been looking at one, sepcially now at home for the immediate future, and seems like a huge choice and massive price range. I'm sure like everythin the more you spend etc, but no point in going too cheap and have something not worth using
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #22
GBR1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Swanline print in Stone are die cutting the clear visors for us (working with 3dCrowd)

The Photocentric ones are CE marked but honestly, I'm not a massive fan of the design for holding the visor on and I've fed this back to them.
Thats my issue with many of the designs, don't get me wrong everyone has the right intentions but the design has to be close to right!

mine is very much single use at this point and i am using a 3M double sided tape to hole the visor in place, less cutting and much less chance of it falling off!

I am looking into the CE mark, looks like they are fast tracking this!

GBR1
Appreciate 0