F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > E-Bikes (Mtb)
ARMA SPEED

04-02-2020, 05:48 AM   #1
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

E-Bikes (Mtb)

As our lycra-clad brethren currently have a thread about road bikes I thought I'd start one on mountain bikes and in particular e-bikes. Has anyone gone down this route yet and if so what's it like?

I went from looking at new dropper posts online yesterday to deciding I need a Specialized Turbo Levo SL Comp Carbon in my life to ease me into this world of e-bikes. I'll wait until the lockdown is over to give one a try first.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
MarkJS
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i M Sport Coupe

I’ve done a few miles on a Scott Genius eride and it was very good - ebikes have come on a long way. However, I wouldn’t change from what I currently ride or a ‘proper’/‘manual’ all mountain machine till either age or injury etc dictates.

But, never say never.
Appreciate 2
Bibbles778.50
      04-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
Scaleybrat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Sport (now gone)

Do it, I bought this Cube last Autumn and it’s great. I still have a hybrid and a hardtail but I find myself drawn to the e-bike every time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Bibbles778.50
      04-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #4
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

I have a Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 SL500 (silly long name!).

Always had mountain bikes as a kid, up to my early 20's when I moved to the city and didn't have space for one.
When I moved to a house I bought a Cannondale Jekyl, and quickly realised that although I loved the enduro type bike on the downhills, they are a massive pain to ride uphill, and basically I couldn't be arsed, so hardly rode it bar a few trips to Llandegla.

My Cube enduro e-bike is awesome. There are many articles to read that tell you how they work, so I'll stick to why I like it.
As above, I really enjoy the high adrenaline, "go down a challenging downhill track as fast as you dare" type of riding, and for that it is great as the weight of the bike really helps the suspension flow over roots, rocks etc.

Uphill - on a normal bike, say it takes you 20mins to get up a fairly long slog of a hill at your maximum pace for your fitness level...On an e-bike you have options:
1. conserve the charge by keeping the assistance low (to give you the range for a long bike ride) and you will take around a similar time and use full effort.
2. Use medium or full power and get to the top in 5mins(using full assistance) or 10 on medium, using full human power.
3. Use full power, a minimum of your own effort and get up in ~10mins and not be knackered at the top, ready to use all your energy controlling the bike on the intense downhill.

I basically use a mixture of all three depending on how long I plan to ride. On knarly off-road tracks I can eek out 30miles using a mixture of low power and medium on the big hills and a lot of my own energy. Or I can do a shorter 15mile ride and use full power everywhere and do the ride in less than half the time I would on a normal bike, while being probably 50-75% as knackered depending on how much effort I want to put in.

My dad (60 this year) has a hardtail cube e-bike, and for him it's a great way to stay fit as he likes to do 30mile rides and be stingy with the assistance, but without killing himself, or having to push it up hills etc. It's a great way to access good local nature areas without having to drive/walk for miles/kill yourself on a normal bike.

I recently rode mine up Helvellyn (3rd highest peak in England), and I probably had to push around 2% of the way where it was just too steep to ride as you can't keep the front wheel down/get wheelspin, or where it was steep rock. There is no way I could do that on a normal bike, I think I would probably have pushed it 98% of the way and pedalled 2% while taking 3 times as long. Even on the e-bike on full power I was panting heavily and had to take a few breaks.

In summary, they are great if you:
-Want good fun exercise but don't like pushing your body to the limit or training 2+ times a week just to be able to ride at a decent pace uphill.
-Enjoy being in beautiful isolated outdoor spaces, and reaching them much faster and easier than you would on foot or on a normal bike, with a choice of low or high effort.
-Are an adrenaline seeker, but don't have or want ironman levels of fitness for the uphills(enduro e-bike)
-Enjoy going to bike parks and overtaking the normal mountain bikers pushing up the steep uphills
Appreciate 1
Bibbles778.50
      04-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaleybrat View Post
Do it, I bought this Cube last Autumn and it's great. I still have a hybrid and a hardtail but I find myself drawn to the e-bike every time.
What's the chances of that, you posted that while I was typing my essay, and it looks to be almost the exact same bike.

Just hang on there while I do my usual attempt at posting a picture and editing 5 times before it finally displays!
Attached Images

Last edited by G50; 04-02-2020 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 3
Bibbles778.50
allachie91334.00
Grant_72020.50
      04-02-2020, 02:52 PM   #6
Quantox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440iGC, CQ, Ivory White, MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post
I have a Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 SL500 (silly long name!).
My Cube enduro e-bike is awesome. There are many articles to read that tell you how they work, so I'll stick to why I like it.
As above, I really enjoy the high adrenaline, "go down a challenging downhill track as fast as you dare" type of riding, and for that it is great as the weight of the bike really helps the suspension flow over roots, rocks etc.

Uphill - on a normal bike, say it takes you 20mins to get up a fairly long slog of a hill at your maximum pace for your fitness level...On an e-bike you have options:
1. conserve the charge by keeping the assistance low (to give you the range for a long bike ride) and you will take around a similar time and use full effort.
2. Use medium or full power and get to the top in 5mins(using full assistance) or 10 on medium, using full human power.
3. Use full power, a minimum of your own effort and get up in ~10mins and not be knackered at the top, ready to use all your energy controlling the bike on the intense downhill.

I basically use a mixture of all three depending on how long I plan to ride. On knarly off-road tracks I can eek out 30miles using a mixture of low power and medium on the big hills and a lot of my own energy. Or I can do a shorter 15mile ride and use full power everywhere and do the ride in less than half the time I would on a normal bike, while being probably 50-75% as knackered depending on how much effort I want to put in.

I recently rode mine up Helvellyn (3rd highest peak in England), and I probably had to push around 2% of the way where it was just too steep to ride as you can't keep the front wheel down/get wheelspin, or where it was steep rock. There is no way I could do that on a normal bike, I think I would probably have pushed it 98% of the way and pedalled 2% while taking 3 times as long. Even on the e-bike on full power I was panting heavily and had to take a few breaks.

In summary, they are great if you:
-Want good fun exercise but don't like pushing your body to the limit or training 2+ times a week just to be able to ride at a decent pace uphill.
-Enjoy being in beautiful isolated outdoor spaces, and reaching them much faster and easier than you would on foot or on a normal bike, with a choice of low or high effort.
-Are an adrenaline seeker, but don't have or want ironman levels of fitness for the uphills(enduro e-bike)
-Enjoy going to bike parks and overtaking the normal mountain bikers pushing up the steep uphills
Thanks for this post, saves me typing the same. My e-bike, a Trek Powerfly 5 (2018) takes me places that my knackered legs would never get me. Living in Keswick with the local hilly topography I can use it for the mountain trails and for nipping down the hill to the shops in the summer when there's very few parking opportunities due to tourist congestion.

Same as this but with short guards, lights, rack and QD pannier

Q
Attached Images

isleaiw18765.00
      04-02-2020, 04:17 PM   #7
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

It's a tricky one...
Been riding MTB for 20+ years.. And now ride Mason Bokeh 650b for most things around where I live. (miles of fast gravel trails)

While I see them being a great 'enabler' for the people who arnt as fit or have medical issues stopping them pedalling a normal bike, they do bring issues.

They could enable some less experienced rider to reach peaks that they can't then get safely down from, that's a concern.

I met some guy peddling his ebike up a downhil trail, it nearly ended in an ambulance call. He would not have been there if it was not for his ebike. It was very clear he was a novice.

Trail centres do tend to attract crowds and more and more ebikes are appearing now. Being buzzed on a grinding, narrow, long uphill section by a much faster ebike is a touch annoying. I tend to stay clear of the trail centres now and find the off piste.
Much quieter, more challenging and a proper sense of the outdoors.

The amount of jealousy/annoyance/righteousness (not sure what it is) from the leg powered cycle community is not nice, for either side.
I've seen actions from both camps that put both to shame.

I digress.

But see the massive advantage of being able to ride your fav downhil section 10 times in a session rather than 4, becuase you can get to the top much quicker.

When my legs give up, my knees or hips need replacing then I'll deffo consider an ebike. (if I can afford one, have you seen the prices!!!)

Go for it... But just think of the ultra cool, bespoke leg powered bike you could have for the same money ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #8
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medslow View Post
It's a tricky one...
Been riding MTB for 20+ years.. And now ride Mason Bokeh 650b for most things around where I live. (miles of fast gravel trails)

While I see them being a great 'enabler' for the people who arnt as fit or have medical issues stopping them pedalling a normal bike, they do bring issues.

They could enable some less experienced rider to reach peaks that they can't then get safely down from, that's a concern.

I met some guy peddling his ebike up a downhil trail, it nearly ended in an ambulance call. He would not have been there if it was not for his ebike. It was very clear he was a novice.

Trail centres do tend to attract crowds and more and more ebikes are appearing now. Being buzzed on a grinding, narrow, long uphill section by a much faster ebike is a touch annoying. I tend to stay clear of the trail centres now and find the off piste.
Much quieter, more challenging and a proper sense of the outdoors.

The amount of jealousy/annoyance/righteousness (not sure what it is) from the leg powered cycle community is not nice, for either side.
I've seen actions from both camps that put both to shame.

I digress.

But see the massive advantage of being able to ride your fav downhil section 10 times in a session rather than 4, becuase you can get to the top much quicker.

When my legs give up, my knees or hips need replacing then I'll deffo consider an ebike. (if I can afford one, have you seen the prices!!!)

Go for it... But just think of the ultra cool, bespoke leg powered bike you could have for the same money ;-)
There's no way I'd spend £4k+ on something that doesn't have a motor!

It's almost a different pursuit for a person with different interests to your dedicated mountain bikers, the righteous ones are no better than the lycra snobs.

At the trail centres I've never had anybody try to dish any dirt, and wouldn't take any notice if they did. It's progress, and they're missing out. In general I'm willing to bet that not only will I be faster up the hill but quicker down it also. The heavier, wider e-bike specific tyres you can now get allow lower pressures to be run, and the way it will go over sharp rocks and the kind of terrain that would normally result in punctures and buckled wheels when travelling at speed is amazing. As mentioned above, the increase in the weight of the frame is akin to lowering unsprung weight on a car, you're changing the ratio between unsprung and sprung weight, and the suspension flows better as a result.

I take your point on novice riders etc though, in my experience it's the exception. If they're renting them they should be given a trail briefing in my opinion. Don't go near the black runs, especially up the downhills!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #9
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

I was on a walking holiday in Austria last Summer and I couldn't work out how these 'overweight' people were effortlessly cycling up some really steep gradients and then I realised........... they were cheating

Joking aside they look great fun and I might even be tempted my self.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 12:29 AM   #10
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

No idea who this guy is, but he sounds like he doesn't talk BS, and makes electric mountain biking sound really fun!!!

His last comments about eBikes just makes everyone cycle more is very true. I bought my hybrid eBike to commute more but now am finding I rather ride that than my full carbon road bike.

The eBike is a bit slower due to much worse aero, but having fat tyres means I don't need to avoid every pot hole, mud guards mean I don't get totally soaked, and because it's a hybrid geometry bike I don't feel the need to dress up in lycra every time I ride .

I recon an eRoad bike will be my next purchase, but might be tempted by eMountain bike first.

Where do you mountain bikers go out riding in?? Am in Leicestershire so no real mountains to speak off, but am sure there are plenty of trails around?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 06:07 AM   #11
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
No idea who this guy is, but he sounds like he doesn't talk BS, and makes electric mountain biking sound really fun!!!

Where do you mountain bikers go out riding in?? Am in Leicestershire so no real mountains to speak off, but am sure there are plenty of trails around?
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I think I'll definitely have a ride on some ebikes when I get a chance with a view to purchasing one as my next bike. I like the idea of the Levo SL as it seems somewhere between a full on powerful heavy ebike and a normal trail bike. I'm pretty much like Rob Warner in that video, I hate the uphill and never have a sense of achievement at the top just exhaustion. I just want to be able to hit as many trails as I can in the time I have out on my bike so if I can get a hand from a motor on the way up that will give me more time and energy on the way down.

gangzoom No mountains round here either but there's plenty of woods and trails. Have a look at your local area on www.trailforks.com, chat with the guys at your local bike shop or just download the OS maps for your area and go exploring. You'll find loads of local trails that are fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:00 AM   #12
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post

His last comments about eBikes just makes everyone cycle more is very true. I bought my hybrid eBike to commute more but now am finding I rather ride that than my full carbon road bike.

The eBike is a bit slower due to much worse aero, but having fat tyres means I don't need to avoid every pot hole, mud guards mean I don't get totally soaked, and because it's a hybrid geometry bike I don't feel the need to dress up in lycra every time I ride .

I recon an eRoad bike will be my next purchase, but might be tempted by eMountain bike first.

That was an ace video, really enjoyed it. Rob f*ckin captures exactly why f*ckin e-bikes are so f*ckin good

I'm from the northwest so Gisburn Forest is my nearest, been to Wales a few times to Llandegla, coed y brenin and the Marin trails, and sherwood Pines which is Mansfield, not too far from you and pretty smooth so should suit a hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #13
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I know it sounds crazy.. But bespoke, 'special' leg powered bikes are a thing of beauty. I've yet to lust over an e-bike like I do an exotic Ti or Carbon normal bike. Although they do catch my eye sometimes in my local bike shop. I think there is a GT in bright blue, it looks preeeetty sweet.

I do wonder how they fair over time though, would the bike be obsolete when the next gen power pack or motor comes out. ? That would worry me immensly.

Quote:
At the trail centres I've never had anybody try to dish any dirt, and wouldn't take any notice if they did. It's progress, and they're missing out.
I've seen it from both sides. I don't get it or contribute. I'm not sure what causes it, but it's there.

Quote:
In general I'm willing to bet that not only will I be faster up the hill but quicker down it also. The heavier, wider e-bike specific tyres you can now get allow lower pressures to be run, and the way it will go over sharp rocks and the kind of terrain that would normally result in punctures and buckled wheels when travelling at speed is amazing. As mentioned above, the increase in the weight of the frame is akin to lowering unsprung weight on a car, you're changing the ratio between unsprung and sprung weight, and the suspension flows better as a result.
Yep, no doubt. The speed difference up hills at least is crazy.

Quote:
I take your point on novice riders etc though, in my experience it's the exception. If they're renting them they should be given a trail briefing in my opinion. Don't go near the black runs, especially up the downhills!
Yeah some sort of into/guidence maybe..
I do find it hilarious when some kid in a tracksuit and trainers burns past me on the climbs on this mahoosive E-bike rented 5mins prior.
Fair play to the guy, he's having more fun than me at that point.

They sure do give many benefits, with little drawbacks if you can stomach the costs.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #14
Scaleybrat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Sport (now gone)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K5XpNONcsNw

I don’t know how Danny does it but this is mighty impressive especially when you know the weight of these bikes - I think he’s a fan!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #15
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I know it sounds crazy.. But bespoke, 'special' leg powered bikes are a thing of beauty. I've yet to lust over an e-bike like I do an exotic Ti or Carbon normal bike. Although they do catch my eye sometimes in my local bike shop. I think there is a GT in bright blue, it looks preeeetty sweet.
I guess that's similar to expensive watches/hifi/name your gadget, some people don't see that beauty, or at least not relative to it's expense. When it comes to bikes, for me it's function over form.

Quote:
I do wonder how they fair over time though, would the bike be obsolete when the next gen power pack or motor comes out. ? That would worry me immensely.
Obsolete is a bit drastic! The new G21 is better in most areas than my F31, and I would love one, however I don't have the cash to throw at a comparable spec car. It doesn't stop me enjoying the F31 and appreciating it's good points.
It will be the same when better e-bikes come out, current owners need to make sure they don't test ride them until they are ready to change. You don't miss what you haven't experienced.
Similarly, if you aren't inclined to spend the money on an e-bike to upgrade from a normal bike, don't ever test one! When I had a normal bike, I swapped bikes with my dad halfway up a long hill, the next day I was in the bike shop placing an order.

The main thing with time is the durability of the motor, (fairly expensive to replace). You also tend to go through chains and cassettes etc faster due to the extra torque.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #16
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Would rather keep my traditional MTB's only battery powered off roader I would consider buying is a electric crosser
      04-03-2020, 12:59 PM   #17
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Is this the name for bikes in Yorkshire....

I can see they are getting much much better and battery power and integration is now very good. Currently (read - while I still can) I'll always opt for a the lighter non battery version.
      04-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #18
MarkJS
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i M Sport Coupe

Quote:

In general I'm willing to bet that not only will I be faster up the hill but quicker down it also. The heavier, wider e-bike specific tyres you can now get allow lower pressures to be run, and the way it will go over sharp rocks and the kind of terrain that would normally result in punctures and buckled wheels when travelling at speed is amazing. As mentioned above, the increase in the weight of the frame is akin to lowering unsprung weight on a car, you're changing the ratio between unsprung and sprung weight, and the suspension flows better as a result.
Mmm. You might think you are quick/er but the downhill is where I really felt the disadvantage with an ebike with the extra weight really telling (at least with my style of riding) on technical runs.

Like I said, they are pretty good overall & I’d never say never. If/when I am no longer strong enough to put the effort in myself (and the tech/trend has stabilised), I’m sure one will fill the gap.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #19
Quantox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440iGC, CQ, Ivory White, MPPSK

Quote:
Obsolete is a bit drastic! The new G21 is better in most areas than my F31, and I would love one, however I don't have the cash to throw at a comparable spec car. It doesn't stop me enjoying the F31 and appreciating it's good points.
When I had a normal bike, I swapped bikes with my dad halfway up a long hill, the next day I was in the bike shop placing an order.
I bought my Trek Powerfly 5 after my best mate (bike shop owner) persuaded my to try an older e-bike. I was immediately convinced that I needed one as I live on a 1 in 4 hill outside Keswick. I had the chance to try out several different models overtime, riding out with my pal, and researched specs. etc and settled on the Trek as the best (for me) balance of cost/performance/value, t'was a very good deal. After 2 years its spec. is still pretty good, both in component and motor/battery performance. Many friends in my age group (71) have tried it and after 10 minutes have all said "I want one!!"
In my view it's good for at least another couple of years for me.

Best bike I've had.

Cheers.

Q
      04-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #20
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Obsolete is a bit drastic! .
Yes that was the wrong choice of word..

Battery and motor power are progressing sooo fast, faster than enything else on a mountain bike (until the next stupid 'standard' arrives)
And as the battery and engine are argubly the most noticeable bits on an e-bike, the latest development in those areas should equal a big difference.

Chance of some good bargains though, I guess. (i'm not up on e-bike used prices)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #21
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantox View Post
I bought my Trek Powerfly 5 after my best mate (bike shop owner) persuaded my to try an older e-bike. I was immediately convinced that I needed one as I live on a 1 in 4 hill outside Keswick. I had the chance to try out several different models overtime, riding out with my pal, and researched specs. etc and settled on the Trek as the best (for me) balance of cost/performance/value, t'was a very good deal. After 2 years its spec. is still pretty good, both in component and motor/battery performance. Many friends in my age group (71) have tried it and after 10 minutes have all said "I want one!!"
In my view it's good for at least another couple of years for me.

Best bike I've had.

Cheers.

Q
I think the Keswick area would be my perfect place to live, very jealous.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 04:09 AM   #22
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Love the look and idea behind these bikes. Just had a look at some of the Cube ones. Blimey there not cheap