F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > intercooler upgrade on 335d xdrive
Extreme Powerhouse

09-23-2021, 09:30 AM   #1
cheesetoastie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

intercooler upgrade on 335d xdrive

Im looking to up the power on my 66 335d xdrive. its currently running on a stage 1 map 390 bhp 610 lbs torque. id like to stick a bigger intercooler on to up the map a little.
Any recommendations on which one? ive seen the dark side ones on the web.

Any feed back on these.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #2
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
Oftentimes, a larger intercooler results in increased boost lag, so you want to be careful about size. Why not just go stage 2 map and see how that is before changing out hardware?
      09-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #3
cheesetoastie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

So where does stage 1 turn into stage 2 then.
Still running the original hard where like you said
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 03:50 AM   #4
Amazinjoey
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320Dx 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreigbs View Post
Oftentimes, a larger intercooler results in increased boost lag, so you want to be careful about size. Why not just go stage 2 map and see how that is before changing out hardware?
The ones on the market won't increase turbo lag, especially on a 335d He will see performance(or more keeping stock performance) due it not heatsoaking during the summer
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
Skyfall
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d touring

I have a CSF intercooler fitted to my remapped f31 330d . Perfect fit and looks almost oem in black . Not cheap but well worth the money.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2021, 10:44 AM   #6
MooLard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

I have one of these on a 435d xdrive and the quality is good, lots of others on a FB forum have bought them too and they are larger: https://mtcmotorsport.co.uk/collecti...nt-intercooler
There is a chance they are the same as the Ali Express / Chinese import ones but as mentioned the quality seems good, they come well packaged etc. I would say they are good value for money.

2016 435xd GC, MTC intercooler, centre and back box deletes, GKR stage 2 remap, methanol injection, H&R lowering springs. To do: wash it.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2021, 10:56 AM   #7
andreigbs
Dr Drei
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3d

Garage List
'16 X3d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazinjoey View Post
The ones on the market won't increase turbo lag, especially on a 335d He will see performance(or more keeping stock performance) due it not heatsoaking during the summer
The OP is looking for more power, which is why I said going up a stage in tuning BEFORE swapping out perfectly working hardware like intercoolers might be a better idea.

Making more power out of turbodiesels is an increasingly steep curve in terms of cost. You can get stage 1 or 2 tunes done for reasonable prices which gives you the most gains. When your current hardware (turbo, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler) start to restrict potential power gains, you are looking at spending more and more for lesser gains.

My point to the OP is it's cheaper to max out your current hardware with a higher stage tune. It'll be quite awhile until you need a bigger intercooler, or larger injectors, or fuel pump, or (fill in the blank).

Spend your money wisely.
      09-30-2021, 06:59 AM   #8
Amazinjoey
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320Dx 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreigbs View Post
The OP is looking for more power, which is why I said going up a stage in tuning BEFORE swapping out perfectly working hardware like intercoolers might be a better idea.

Making more power out of turbodiesels is an increasingly steep curve in terms of cost. You can get stage 1 or 2 tunes done for reasonable prices which gives you the most gains. When your current hardware (turbo, injectors, fuel pump, intercooler) start to restrict potential power gains, you are looking at spending more and more for lesser gains.

My point to the OP is it's cheaper to max out your current hardware with a higher stage tune. It'll be quite awhile until you need a bigger intercooler, or larger injectors, or fuel pump, or (fill in the blank).

Spend your money wisely.
Not really, tbh the Stock Intercooler on the 35D is already a bottleneck and keeping the charge temps down will help alot with heatsoaking. So at stage 1 adding intercooler is a wise choice, not to increase numbers but also keeping the numbers up.

See this thread:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1502690

@cheesetoastie I usually go for DO88, They do quality stuff and outperform most intercoolers on the market.
Appreciate 1