F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Intercooler to boost pipe problem
Extreme Powerhouse

03-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #1
mmmark111
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2014

Intercooler to boost pipe problem

Currently replacing a blown charge pipe and I'm trying to reinstall the intercooler but for the life of me I can't get the boost pipe far enough over the intercooler for the clip to engage. I'm assuming the channel on the intercooler is what the clip snaps into? Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Picture is showing how far I can get the pipe on. Any guidance is greatly appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 12:04 PM   #2
435gc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Yes the spring clip needs to sit in the channel on the intercooler.

A second set of hands would help. I would take the spring clip out of the groove on the charge pipe to ensure its not snagging on the intercooler. Keep it on the pipe near the grooves so you can slide it into place easily, just not in the holes.

Then just push. Push hard. Slide the clip into place. Second set of hands would really help. 1 person to push. 1 person to move the clip into place.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
thejeremyman9
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

You really have two options. Since the TIC pipe is flexible, the easier option is mounting the IC first, then pulling the TIC down into place on the IC to get that last little ibt. The TIC is not a straight pipe, so you should be able to rotate it around to make sure its in the correct orientation so long as your turbo side isnt stuck/seized.

The other option is trying to move the IC up further toward the turbo slightly (with it unbolted and CP not yet connected) while using the other hand to pull the TIC down into place. This can shorten the distance but is hard to do with one person.

I would also recommend moving at least the top part of the clip (shown in picture) out of the groove just resting on the little notch. The other side parts should slide over into place as you pull down, but you can even remove the clip completely if you think its getting stuck.

EDIT: Also, confirm the oring isnt messed up. If its wrinkled or otherwise not seated, it will not let the TIC go on. Stock TIC to stock IC is a very tight fit. Also, a small amount of engine oil on the Oring is recommended.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 10:45 PM   #4
mmmark111
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2014

Thank you for your responses. The TIC rotates freely and the intercooler is bolted in currently. I've lubricated everything with oil but no progress. No matter how hard I push the two together they won't fit enough for me to get the clip in. The o ring looked like it was still in the correct spot but I'll confirm. Is there a mechanical way to connect these or does it just take brute force? It's pretty cold around here so I'm wondering if I should hit it with a hair dryer tomorrow and try again. Just want to make sure forcing the two together is the right way before I damage something.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 11:32 PM   #5
thejeremyman9
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmark111 View Post
Thank you for your responses. The TIC rotates freely and the intercooler is bolted in currently. I've lubricated everything with oil but no progress. No matter how hard I push the two together they won't fit enough for me to get the clip in. The o ring looked like it was still in the correct spot but I'll confirm. Is there a mechanical way to connect these or does it just take brute force? It's pretty cold around here so I'm wondering if I should hit it with a hair dryer tomorrow and try again. Just want to make sure forcing the two together is the right way before I damage something.
To confirm this is the same IC you removed right? So no changes there? How hard was it to remove?

You should feel gradually increasing resistance as you push together. If its like something is getting caught, there's another issue. Did you try removing the clip to see if it goes on far enough without that in the way?

There's no mechanical way since you can't pry on that TIC like you can the aftermarket ones. Theres no lip.

I have put a LOT of force to get my CP and TIC with oversized Orings, including using pry bars against the frame to push them down into the IC, so i wouldnt worry too much about that. Just keep in mind the only 2 screws holding the IC up.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 11:14 AM   #6
435gc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

The TIC does have a degree of directionally to it. Due to the way it is held to the turbo, as you said, it will rotate in place. It is held to the turbo with the same type clip as the intercooler.

If you have rotated from its original position it is likely a little out of alignment.

Make you have it oriented correctly, probably take some trial and error, or it will be off by a few mm and you won't get it all the way over the intercooler inlet even if everything is pushed as far as it can go.
Appreciate 0