F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 4 Series report by 135i owner
Studio RSR

12-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23
Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman View Post
The real game changer is the tranny in the f30/32...Once you drive the new one, IDK how you can go back OP.
Only pic I could find of a tranny in a BMW was E36 I think
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
135iMsportCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i Msport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 435iaffair
Thanks for the detailed review, it's always nice to hear what others think of the F32.

Quote:
Originally Posted by begge View Post
The 8 spd Auto is overkill. Too many gears and shifts. Almost a manual CVT.
This is actually my first automatic transmission car in over a decade. I love the zf 8speed in the F3x cars. Don't feel like it's too many gears at all, and the shifts are pretty darn quick for a non-DCT.

Quote:
Though rear seat legroom is better, the headroom is less than in my 135i. My head was flush against the roof, & I'm only 5'9".
That's odd; my friends who are taller than 5'9" never had any headroom issues; did you lower the seat all the way?

Quote:
I'm keeping my 135i.
And there's nothing wrong with that as it is a very fun car to drive.
You're absolutely right...the ZF 8 spd is brilliant, mechanically...and my ZF 6 shifts just as quickly.

About headroom: it seems ppl thought I meant front seat headroom. I was talking about REAR SEAT HEADROOM and legroom. I climbed back there and said to myself "no reason to ever buy this car. I already have a better driver with no back seat and it's PAID FOR!"
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #25
135iMsportCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Once you said the N20 is not for enthusiasts I realized this review is not to be taken seriously. All the best with the 135i
+1..yet "the nav is the best around" and every enthusiast knows that Nav is a must have.......
Look, friend, I've owned 2 3's, a 5, a Porsche Cayman S, and 3 Garmins, and in my opinion, the 428 GPS is my favorite.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #26
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
The only difference between the standard 428 and 135 interiors is that the 135 has a shit armrest that interferes with the cupholders. They both have the same crap plastic box between the rear passengers and no center armrest.
Isnt dash and console totally different?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #27
135iMsportCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BBS
Quote:
The only difference between the standard 428 and 135 interiors is that the 135 has a shit armrest that interferes with the cupholders. They both have the same crap plastic box between the rear passengers and no center armrest.
Isnt dash and console totally different?
Not significantly. I felt right at home with the controls.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #28
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

I own an auto 6 speed in my 335. 8 speed ZF > 6 ZF all day. My track helmet had trouble fitting in the 428 and 435, but I'm 6 foot and without the helmet I was fine. Lower your seat.

N20 is a great engine too. It's not N54 in your 135, but it kills most 3.0 or 3.5 sixes on the market.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #29
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Look, friend, I've owned 2 3's, a 5, a Porsche Cayman S, and 3 Garmins, and in my opinion, the 428 GPS is my favorite.
Congratulations. i bet the 135 was as much fun (or more) as any of them. I think it looks goofy but I gather it is rocket and a ball to drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #30
135iMsportCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Although I stand by my comment about a 4banger being not for enthusiasts. Maybe if they come out with an Mpower Performance Kit for it I would reconsider. Meanwhile, there's a reason the N54 went into the 1M.
Is being and enthusiast all about HP? Lots of enthusiasts drive Miatas, BRZ, MGB etc. Whats your definition?
My definition of "enthusiast" has 2 elements: you've owned other BMWs or you've owned other luxo sport coupes by which to compare. Being both, I am saying that, having had 320hp, I can't go back to 220 (or whatever).
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #31
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

So if you track a Miata/Mustang/Golf etc and love to work on them you arent an enthusiast?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #32
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by begge
Quote:
Quote:
Although I stand by my comment about a 4banger being not for enthusiasts. Maybe if they come out with an Mpower Performance Kit for it I would reconsider. Meanwhile, there's a reason the N54 went into the 1M.
Is being and enthusiast all about HP? Lots of enthusiasts drive Miatas, BRZ, MGB etc. Whats your definition?
My definition of "enthusiast" has 2 elements: you've owned other BMWs or you've owned other luxo sport coupes by which to compare. Being both, I am saying that, having had 320hp, I can't go back to 220 (or whatever).
I'm definitely not an enthusiast, but your definition of enthusiast is completely incorrect. First, one does not have to own or have owned a coupe to be an enthusiast. Second, one does not have to have owned multiple BMWs to be an enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #33
135iMsportCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Congratulations. i bet the 135 was as much fun (or more) as any of them. I think it looks goofy but I gather it is rocket and a ball to drive.
You are right again. I don't miss my Cayman S at all. Btw, since you seem like a friendly, reasonable person, I would share that I've personalized my 135 substantially, with all the OEM carbon fiber pieces, both exterior and interior; a CF roof wrap, a 2x2 exhaust with CF diffuser, and the M Performance Power Kit. It's my baby 1M, and as BMW used to say in the 60's, it " Runs like schnell"!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #34
135iMsportCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm definitely not an enthusiast, but your definition of enthusiast is completely incorrect. First, one does not have to own or have owned a coupe to be an enthusiast. Second, one does not have to have owned multiple BMWs to be an enthusiast.
I'll add a third: an enthusiast spends money to make his ride cool in a unique way. What's your definition? Apparently you feel like I left you out....
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #35
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i M Sport

Quote:
I'll add a third: an enthusiast spends money to make his ride cool in a unique way. What's your definition? Apparently you feel like I left you out....
that is also incorrect as many real hard core enthusiasts would buy a real old classic and restore it to their original OEM factory condition...it is apparent you really don't have a clue what being an enthusiast is all about
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #36
135iMsportCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So if you track a Miata/Mustang/Golf etc and love to work on them you arent an enthusiast?
Of course such an owner is an enthusiast. Try and understand...this is BIMMERPOST. I was limiting my definition to BMW enthusiasts. IMHO, I don't think many people who meet my definition of "BMW enthusiast" would choose a 4 banger over a six if money was no object.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #37
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I truly do not. How does your statement make me feel left out? I stated in my initial sentence that I am not an enthusiast. Please read before arguing.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #38
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

LOL...this reminds me of people trying to prove they're a "real" fan of a sports team. Especially in college sports where "if you didn't go there, you're not a true fan".
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #39
135iMsportCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I truly do not. How does your statement make me feel left out? I stated in my initial sentence that I am not an enthusiast. Please read before arguing.
Well, for a non-enthusiast, you sure have a lot to say, except how YOU define "enthusiast" . As I was just saying in another reply, this is BIMMERPOST , my friend...not ENTHUSIASTPOST. When I declared the 428i to not be enthusiast material, I meant to true BMW enthusiasts, which you say you are not one of (as I read you). Do you know what an M3 is? Chances are very few M3 owners could get excited about a 428i. On the other hand, a Mazda 6 owner could. *end of story*
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #40
135iMsportCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23
LOL...this reminds me of people trying to prove they're a "real" fan of a sports team. Especially in college sports where "if you didn't go there, you're not a true fan".
Good analogy
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #41
135iMsportCoupe
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasengan
Quote:
that is also incorrect as many real hard core enthusiasts would buy a real old classic and restore it to their original OEM factory condition...it is apparent you really don't have a clue what being an enthusiast is all about
Are you the same guy as OC40? If not, read my replies to him/her on the subject of "enthusiast".
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #42
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, for a non-enthusiast, you sure have a lot to say, except how YOU define "enthusiast" . As I was just saying in another reply, this is BIMMERPOST , my friend...not ENTHUSIASTPOST. When I declared the 428i to not be enthusiast material, I meant to true BMW enthusiasts, which you say you are not one of (as I read you). Do you know what an M3 is? Chances are very few M3 owners could get excited about a 428i. On the other hand, a Mazda 6 owner could. *end of story*
You, ma'am/sir, are an ridiculous. Yes, I so know what an M3 is. Matter of fact, I almost purchased one before I decided on a 335 MSport with the M Performance Suspension. You seem to enjoy arguing. Do you have Napoleon Symdrome?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #43
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You are right again. I don't miss my Cayman S at all. Btw, since you seem like a friendly, reasonable person, I would share that I've personalized my 135 substantially, with all the OEM carbon fiber pieces, both exterior and interior; a CF roof wrap, a 2x2 exhaust with CF diffuser, and the M Performance Power Kit. It's my baby 1M, and as BMW used to say in the 60's, it " Runs like schnell"!
You DON'T mais your Cayman? Thats among my favorite cars. I did the BMW CF interior too. Not a fan of fake CF though. Didnt BMW make a 4cyl M3 at one point?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #44
Rasengan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 428i M Sport

Quote:
Of course such an owner is an enthusiast. Try and understand...this is BIMMERPOST. I was limiting my definition to BMW enthusiasts. IMHO, I don't think many people who meet my definition of "BMW enthusiast" would choose a 4 banger over a six if money was no object.
engine size has nothing to do with being an enthusiast...neither does HP or owning more than 1 BMW or sports coupe or spending money to mod up your ride...none of that fits into the definition of being an enthusiast

the very definition of "enthusiast" is simply one with special interest and/or knowledge in a subject or activity...i have a friend that i would consider a hard core MMA (mixed martial arts) enthusiast...he has almost encyclopedic knowledge of every fight and fighter there is yet he does not train in MMA, he does not buy UFC events but rather he streams PPVs for free because he doesn't have the means to purchase them

Quote:
well now you're just being condescending to people on this on forum in which you decided to troll on...much the same could be said about 3/4 owners all the way up to the new i8 about not seeing the 1 series as "enthusiast" material being, well, the "baby" BMW or cheapest, most entry level of the group...see what i did there? but those aren't my feelings because i actually do like the 1 series...i think they look a bit goofy and disproportionate but it does fit with my view of them as being a "baby" BMW

Quote:
Are you the same guy as OC40? If not, read my replies to him/her on the subject of "enthusiast".
nope, never met him before...but him and i do share a liking for McDonald's
Appreciate 0