F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW moving away from "M Performance" vehicle branding
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-17-2020, 11:32 PM   #529
AlpineWhite_SJ
Lieutenant
AlpineWhite_SJ's Avatar
United_States
464
Rep
410
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
I make a conscious effort to do just that. I find myself using turn signals when no other cars are around.

I also steer clear of the BMW guys at cars and coffee and car shows.
Funny you say that because out here the only BMW guys at Cars and Coffee that Iíve run into are more the classic guys (at least parked in the actual lot) and theyíre pretty cool. Late model ///Mís usually donít make it into the lot unless thereís something unique about them.
__________________
/// 2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 - 6MT ZCP ZEP / 3D Design billet handbrake lever, pedals, CF side skirts & rear diffuser / Sterckenn gloss black lip / IND alpine white front reflectors /// 2020 Donnington Grey on Black F97 X3MC ///
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 11:40 PM   #530
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Colonel
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
2358
Rep
2,675
Posts

Drives: Totaled Toyota Celica :((
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Trenton, NJ

iTrader: (0)

I am definitely buying a s85 with a stick and debadging it. or a vantage v12 2011 stick. I know those are major price differences; but new cars are like fucking virtual reality cockpits.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 12:02 AM   #531
AlpineWhite_SJ
Lieutenant
AlpineWhite_SJ's Avatar
United_States
464
Rep
410
Posts

Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

I feel like the thread has gotten a bit more back on track over the last few pages, so to summarize:

It is declared that It is BMWís fault for seeding strife amongst the ranks of the fans and faithful. Have a damn ///M brand strategy already...

We welcome our mxxx brethren into the ///M family so long as they shall always acknowledge the strengths and differences of each platform.

Thou shalt not criticize a respectful owner who likes the driving dynamics of their ride over another modelís paper specs or perceived superiority. Agree to debate in the technical merits and hug it out

We are united and stand against owners of m-sport trim options on base models who claim the ///M brand (I kid, I kid)
__________________
/// 2018 Alpine White on Black F80 M3 - 6MT ZCP ZEP / 3D Design billet handbrake lever, pedals, CF side skirts & rear diffuser / Sterckenn gloss black lip / IND alpine white front reflectors /// 2020 Donnington Grey on Black F97 X3MC ///
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 12:07 AM   #532
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
zamboni's Avatar
United_States
550
Rep
4,731
Posts

Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Monte Sereno, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [0.00]
I'm glad to own the F80 M3 6MT not a big fan with the new M sport models since they are true M cars.
__________________
18 F80 Imola Red 6MT
16 K71 F800GT Montego Blue
13 E93 M3 Melbourne Red
2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 12:22 AM   #533
Joe S
Lieutenant
Joe S's Avatar
Australia
139
Rep
409
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 Competition Package
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Io View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Sorry, needs an "S" series engine
You're right! Exit M2 and 1M then. So we can all agree that the last real M-car was the e92 M3! Furthermore, it had a NA engine, as a real M-car should have
I still miss my E92 M3. Should've kept it.
Still got my e92 m3 and love it. It now keeps up with modern m3 cars as it now has a Harrop Supercharger! So now best of both worlds! One of the best V8s and modern turbo power 😄 I even have the Harrop Ultimate brakes! 6 piston callipers at the front and 4 at the back
__________________
[IMG]http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic
Appreciate 1
kavo1131.50

      01-18-2020, 12:46 AM   #534
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
nicky dj's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
434
Posts

Drives: E92 N54
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Irvine

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
I feel like the thread has gotten a bit more back on track over the last few pages, so to summarize:

It is declared that It is BMW's fault for seeding strife amongst the ranks of the fans and faithful. Have a damn ///M brand strategy already...

We welcome our mxxx brethren into the ///M family so long as they shall always acknowledge the strengths and differences of each platform.

Thou shalt not criticize a respectful owner who likes the driving dynamics of their ride over another model's paper specs or perceived superiority. Agree to debate in the technical merits and hug it out

We are united and stand against owners of m-sport trim options on base models who claim the ///M brand (I kid, I kid)
Touché, except your last sentence! No kid! And it's a sin to badge these cards yourself
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 02:24 AM   #535
ubchariot
New Member
15
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: BMW M340i xdrive
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nublu2u View Post
As Jeremy Clarkson said about the e92 335i.....'all you are saying is that you can't afford an M3'. True then, true today.

BMW continue to cheapen the ///M badge, a race to the bottom.
I miss Jeremy Clarkson. In regard to your assertion though, one argument that comes up a lot is that a well optioned G20 M340i costs too close to a base F80/82. That challenges the point you're trying to make.

If we decide to ignore that inconvenient counter point though, and further apply your logic, we can also conclude that a BMW M* driver simply can't afford a real luxury sports car like a Porsche.
A fully loaded m340i can cost $5k more than a base f80/c63. For those m340i customers, it's not that they cannot afford a m3, it's just they know exactly what they want, and they just don't want a m3
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 02:59 AM   #536
babaikram
Major
Bhutan
386
Rep
1,094
Posts

Drives: G30 520D and m240i with MPE
Join Date: May 2015
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
And now here come the M owners about to say the M340i is not a true M car and shouldn't be in the same category. Lol.
But they aren't.............

M cars are design by bmw M team, M340 isn't............

Unless there no longer is a bmw M team or bmw has changed that development process.
The M340 has the same exact aluminum suspension (with a ///M stamp), brakes and identical electronic 100% locking LSD as a "real" M car..

Does it need to be anointed by the M gods themselves for it to be christen a true M car?

I get that you guys are trying to distinguish between the two variants but the pie has been cut so thin nowadays that separating M and M Performance is almost a pointless exercise, other than for the bragging rights.

I'll be honest, I didn't think much of the M340i before I drove one but man, that car is a rocket, handles just as good as an M2 and is as M as it's really all one would need for regular road driving, with a little pep.

The electronic 100% locking LSD was the crown-jewel of all M cars over the standard models but now that BMW has leveled the playing field and made them common amongst all, so I really don't see the advantage of an official M car anymore.
No one said the M340 isn't great, it is very great. But it isn't doesn't deserve the M moniker on the rear of the trunk, per its not designed/tuned by BMW M - in my opinion. I don't own an M, may never own one. That's cool with me, love my non-M
Nonsense. M performance engines are tuned by M division as well as their suspension. They now have LSD. Some are faster than their contemporary'real Ms' in a straight line m240i vs OG M2. They are designed to be tracked as well.
__________________
I only accelerate fast I do not overspeed

Previous e90 3 series and F10 5 series
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 03:05 AM   #537
///M TOWN
.
///M TOWN's Avatar
2472
Rep
2,540
Posts

Drives: ///M
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

The writing has been clearly written on the wall for some time
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2020, 04:57 AM   #538
BDO
Lieutenant
143
Rep
404
Posts

Drives: 2016 X6 40d M-sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Citizen of the World

iTrader: (0)

Spectacular amount of salt in this thread😂

Gems such as "As a real M driver..." "As an owner of many M cars" and let's not forget "handmade M engines" provided many hours of mirth.

I thank each and every insecure person who contributed.
Appreciate 6
      01-18-2020, 04:59 AM   #539
anglo
Libertarian
anglo's Avatar
United_States
45566
Rep
3,333
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Sanctuary City

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
The writing has been clearly written on the wall for some time
I'll take the M2, please!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 05:03 AM   #540
nicky dj
Chelsea Football Club
nicky dj's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
434
Posts

Drives: E92 N54
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Irvine

iTrader: (0)

So it's official. Appreciate the facts.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:54 AM   #541
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
bigdnno98's Avatar
Italy
231
Rep
1,903
Posts

Drives: Long List
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Vicenza, Italy

iTrader: (8)

So basically over 50% of the lineup are "M cars" now? Way to water down the M badge..... There was a time when the badge meant something, and an "S" engine designation meant something..... I think Mercedes has done the same thing to the AMG badge. I like how Audi distinguishes between the S lineup and the RS lineup.
Appreciate 1
bm4w99.50

      01-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #542
Tazmn Jr
William Wilson
United_States
73
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M3 Dct mineral white
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Charles County Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Yep I guess I'm a M guy. I am on my 5th BMW and 2nd M car. I have been a M guy not necessarily a BMW guy since I saw my first red E30 M3 as a kid in high school and always dreamt of owning a M3 from that day forward. The M car made me a BMW guy not vise versa.

Thankfully I have been able to achieve those goals of M ownership along with driving non M cars in between.

The letter M is there as a designation of BMW's motorsport division and should never be watered down just because a car has a few add on pieces without the full internals and development of M engineers.

Is BMW telling M owners that an M car is no longer their best and everything that comes out of BMW deserves the same designation M and no longer differentiate?

The M was meant to be special as M cars are but can no longer be special because M is used to freely.

I see the comments an M340xi is faster than a current f80 M3 in a straight line but do those that make those statements realize that Awd makes that statement possible. Something the new generation M3 will obliterate with a more improved Awd system.

No matter how hard I try to stay with the brand, BMW is slowly pushing me away to something more special. Maybe it's time to move on. Let's see if M can make things right with the next generation and the nomenclature. If not I hear Porsche calling my name.
Appreciate 2
bm4w99.50
mikerx574.50

      01-18-2020, 09:20 AM   #543
Tazmn Jr
William Wilson
United_States
73
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M3 Dct mineral white
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Charles County Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubchariot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nublu2u View Post
As Jeremy Clarkson said about the e92 335i.....'all you are saying is that you can't afford an M3'. True then, true today.

BMW continue to cheapen the ///M badge, a race to the bottom.
I miss Jeremy Clarkson. In regard to your assertion though, one argument that comes up a lot is that a well optioned G20 M340i costs too close to a base F80/82. That challenges the point you're trying to make.

If we decide to ignore that inconvenient counter point though, and further apply your logic, we can also conclude that a BMW M* driver simply can't afford a real luxury sports car like a Porsche.
A fully loaded m340i can cost $5k more than a base f80/c63. For those m340i customers, it's not that they cannot afford a m3, it's just they know exactly what they want, and they just don't want a m3

Who buys a base M3? It's just like an OP on another topic asked the question. Do you think he should buy a C43 or an M3? I told him the two cars arent in the same class and shouldn't be shopped together. I know this because Wife owns a C43 convertible and I own a f80.

You dont shop a M340 and M3 together. Either you want the best M gives you or you want a daily cruiser with some stuff thrown in there by M. There is no comparison.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:25 AM   #544
drF80
Major General
140
Rep
5,448
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0xdq View Post
I'm a M340i owner, was looking for $70k car, considered M2C, and Porsche 718 Cayman. I finally decided to pick a fully loaded M340i because I really like the technology compared to M2C, also couldn't bear with the 4 cylinder engine on the 718.

It's been a great street car for me, and I took it to track one time for some fun.

Sometimes, people who are not familiar with BMW say, oh you got a M car, then I let them know that this is not a M power that they think about, but a M performance.

What bothers me is that few M power owners act so previleged. I got people who drive a second hand F80 M3 saying that I got the M340i because I couldn't afford the M power. I was like WTF? My W2 after tax income can buy more than 2 fully loaded brand new M3 in cash(though they are not on sale now because of G80 coming out), not to mention the saving. There was also a M4 owner, who's never driven a M340i, telling me his car and my car are day and night difference. I just laughed, and didn't even want to argue with him. I mean come on, this is certainly not a M power, but it's new generation packed with LSD as standard and cooling package as optional, it's more capable than some people assume and certainly not as shitty as day and night difference. As a matter of fact, I really hope the new G80 would make a day and night difference.

To summarize, as adults we should be more respectful, and not attacking each other like high school children.
Did it ever occur to you that if you have an income of 2x the car value, in the Bay Area, you should not even think about that vehicle, let alone brag on the car forum about it???
2x M3 after tax income in the Bay area equals you may be able to pay the $5k rent (or $7k mortgage) and bills and food, but not much beyond that...
Appreciate 2
bm4w99.50

      01-18-2020, 09:27 AM   #545
drF80
Major General
140
Rep
5,448
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazmn Jr View Post
Who buys a base M3? It's just like an OP on another topic asked the question. Do you think he should buy a C43 or an M3? I told him the two cars arent in the same class and shouldn't be shopped together. I know this because Wife owns a C43 convertible and I own a f80.

You dont shop a M340 and M3 together. Either you want the best M gives you or you want a daily cruiser with some stuff thrown in there by M. There is no comparison.
The "base" F80 has more than comfortably loaded 340. You buy the M3 for the joy of ride and performance, not for HUD and parking sensors....
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #546
EnVe46
Major
EnVe46's Avatar
684
Rep
1,031
Posts

Drives: 14 M6 GC Comp
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fort Lauderdale, Fl

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnVe46 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky dj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight22 View Post
I think the most ironic thing about this thread is people arguing over what the actual brand is saying their own cars are classified as.

(Real)M car owner: Hey BMW, the M340 I is a fake M car!
BMW: Uh no, it's an M car now because we make the car and we say it is. Why do you say it isn't?
(Real)M car owner: Because F$#% You!
(FakeM)340i owner: I just got the car because I liked it, not because it has an M.
Well said and spot on. It's not a cost issue as it was in the past because all the M340i's I see are stickered at the dealership are at $70k+, if it's a personal preference to getting a G versus a F M3 then more power to you. The B58 is awesome and a lot shop heads and engineers prefer it to S55. The real problem with this thread is the /// guys getting offended what the manufacturer doing what it wants to do with THEIR monikers. Time to move on to Porsche 👋🏼

Perhaps M division should just split like Genesis did with Hyundai. Just have it be a Motorsport M4 / M5 / M8 etc.
I liked it better when you were actually considering being done with this thread and gave us a peace out.

In reality, as an M owner, I don't give a faaaawwwwk what BMW or anyone else labels the X3m340imperformance etc or anything else like it. I prefer the driving experience an M car delivers. Now, I haven't driven the M340i so can't comment on how it drives but I have drove the X3M40i and it's quite impressive. A colleague of mine just purchased a 2020 and it's quite the machine. But, it's not comparable in many ways to the X3MComp I drove. Doesn't make it shit, it's just not the same. So whatever that means to anyone, I don't care.

I also don't care about anyone's history with the BMW brand, how many driving schools you been to or how small your penis is that your compensating for. I drove the cars I drive for me and that's really all anyone needs to worry about. Stop justifying why you bought an M340i and why you THINK it's so great. You like it and that's why you bought it. Enjoy it. It's quite simple
Hahahahaha the funny thing is I don't own an M340i! And actually considering an S55 soon and moding the shit out of it or an X5 depending on circumstances.

I'm just having an unbiased opinion and defending the brand when all the hard on's who don't know anything about the science of the cars emphatically state why it's not something without ever driving and experiencing the car itself. A few of us are providing the science and data behind the car such as a locking differential, and the /// folks are are arguing it doesn't have the essence.

So it's going to be an endless argument of why it should be considered an M and why it shouldn't be, and a few of us like myself of "who cares? It's a BMW ✊🏼". But you know what none of our opinions actually matter, it's the people that make these cars and that's BMW GmbH.
Problem with your "science" is that you can't throw parts at a car and expect to the drive the same, deliver the same feel or be even close to the same overall experience. And again, this is coming from someone who doesn't care what anyone refers to these new cars as.

There is something to be said about the driving dynamics M cars deliver. Every car analyst out there would agree, cause they've all said it. That doesn't take away from the type of car these M340i M550 etc are. I almost bought an M550. Excellent car, but no M.
__________________
2011.5 E90 M3 ZCP
Interlagos Blau
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #547
Sight22
Enlisted Member
11
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: M340i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazmn Jr View Post
Yep I guess I'm a M guy. I am on my 5th BMW and 2nd M car. I have been a M guy not necessarily a BMW guy since I saw my first red E30 M3 as a kid in high school and always dreamt of owning a M3 from that day forward. The M car made me a BMW guy not vise versa.

Thankfully I have been able to achieve those goals of M ownership along with driving non M cars in between.

The letter M is there as a designation of BMW's motorsport division and should never be watered down just because a car has a few add on pieces without the full internals and development of M engineers.

Is BMW telling M owners that an M car is no longer their best and everything that comes out of BMW deserves the same designation M and no longer differentiate?

The M was meant to be special as M cars are but can no longer be special because M is used to freely.

I see the comments an M340xi is faster than a current f80 M3 in a straight line but do those that make those statements realize that Awd makes that statement possible. Something the new generation M3 will obliterate with a more improved Awd system.

No matter how hard I try to stay with the brand, BMW is slowly pushing me away to something more special. Maybe it's time to move on. Let's see if M can make things right with the next generation and the nomenclature. If not I hear Porsche calling my name.

Porsche? All the real porsche guys left when they made the boxter and then SUVs. They sold out even harder. Keep looking.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 09:48 AM   #548
SteveinArizona
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1130
Rep
1,946
Posts

Drives: BMW 530e
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greater Phoenix

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazmn Jr View Post
Yep I guess I'm a M guy. I am on my 5th BMW and 2nd M car. I have been a M guy not necessarily a BMW guy since I saw my first red E30 M3 as a kid in high school and always dreamt of owning a M3 from that day forward. The M car made me a BMW guy not vise versa.

Thankfully I have been able to achieve those goals of M ownership along with driving non M cars in between.

The letter M is there as a designation of BMW's motorsport division and should never be watered down just because a car has a few add on pieces without the full internals and development of M engineers.

Is BMW telling M owners that an M car is no longer their best and everything that comes out of BMW deserves the same designation M and no longer differentiate?

The M was meant to be special as M cars are but can no longer be special because M is used to freely.

I see the comments an M340xi is faster than a current f80 M3 in a straight line but do those that make those statements realize that Awd makes that statement possible. Something the new generation M3 will obliterate with a more improved Awd system.

No matter how hard I try to stay with the brand, BMW is slowly pushing me away to something more special. Maybe it's time to move on. Let's see if M can make things right with the next generation and the nomenclature. If not I hear Porsche calling my name.
What difference does the badge make? If, e.g., an M3 meets your needs but you are offended by an M340i, don't buy the latter. If Porsche or Audi or anyone else makes a car that better fits your desires and needs, buy it. But don't make your decision based on the badge the car maker puts on a car that you don't want anyway.
Appreciate 2
530iDriver1174.50

      01-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #549
DgjoX6M2016
2016 X6M, 09 E91, 11 E90 335D
DgjoX6M2016's Avatar
United_States
184
Rep
395
Posts

Drives: 2016 X6M
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

I hadn't looked at the M340i specs to see what the issue is.

This is the first thing you see on the BMW page for the sedan. I don't have a horse in this race, just a FYI.

Looks like an awesome car. It has a M LSD!

I would buy this car.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
530iDriver1174.50

      01-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #550
R N M
Captain
R N M's Avatar
363
Rep
647
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
^
So even BMW said its not an M3 and just M sport elements lol
Appreciate 4
JeremyDFW367.50
bm4w99.50
kavo1131.50

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST