F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Differences in BMW Air Intakes
European Auto Source (EAS)

02-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
IK6SPEED
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Would post in N55 thread but I have no access to it. Most likely the different engine MPerformance Upgrades have something similar anyway.

Never really looked at the MPerformance Packages previously. Obviously the key part is the tune, but what is the difference in the F30 335i MSport OEM Stock Air Intake and the "Intake Muffler" included with the MPerformance Package?

Despite what many think, the OEM Air Intake is actually pretty good. The description for the MPerformance says more air flow, but I am wondering how there could be that much difference in that limited area with similar design?
Attached Images

02-15-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

If you want to stick with the stock intake just upgrade the filter, AFE is a good choice. Beyond that $30 or so for the scoop can't hurt / might help and looks kinda cool.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
If you want to stick with the stock intake just upgrade the filter, AFE is a good choice. Beyond that $30 or so for the scoop can't hurt / might help and looks kinda cool.
Done both of those. Was wondering what difference MPerformance unit might offer.

And yes, the ~$50 AFE scoop actually works.

https://afepower.com/afe-power-54-12...amic-air-scoop
Attached Images

02-15-2020, 05:16 PM   #4
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
It looks like that red area is an extra intake. The M Sport and non M Sport intake mufflers do not have that second red port. Looks like it's an extra cold air intake fed from the front grilles. It's probably quite a bit louder considering it's just open like that.

The red means more powah.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #5
Wires
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Stock:
- has a flap on the exhaust manifold side that spring open should the front intake get plugged with snow.
- foam sheet clipped to the bottom to keep dust/sand/bugs trapped in that grid at the bottom.

M box:
- no foam
- no snow flap
- cut out front side with the red bezel

The m-cutout would potentially suck hotter air from the engine compartment instead of cold air from the actual inlet. I'm guessing you would get more intake noise as well.

I just yanked the foam from mine, and put in a K&N filter. You could just cut a similar hole in the side of your stock air box and get almost the same thing for free. If you fail at the cutout, buy the m-box to replace it.

Oh yeh, if you want extra power, you obviously need to wrap the opening in red. That's good for 20HP.
Appreciate 2
IK6SPEED3971.00

02-15-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
IK6SPEED
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Stock:
- has a flap on the exhaust manifold side that spring open should the front intake get plugged with snow.
- foam sheet clipped to the bottom to keep dust/sand/bugs trapped in that grid at the bottom.

M box:
- no foam
- no snow flap
- cut out front side with the red bezel

The m-cutout would potentially suck hotter air from the engine compartment instead of cold air from the actual inlet. I'm guessing you would get more intake noise as well.

I just yanked the foam from mine, and put in a K&N filter. You could just cut a similar hole in the side of your stock air box and get almost the same thing for free. If you fail at the cutout, buy the m-box to replace it.

Oh yeh, if you want extra power, you obviously need to wrap the opening in red. That's good for 20HP.
I cannot see BMW designing a "Performance" part that would be so poorly engineered to suck in hot air from the engine side
      02-15-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
I cannot see BMW designing a "Performance" part that would be so poorly engineered to suck in hot air from the engine side
Most people don't realize that there is actually a lot of airflow in an engine bay. It's actually responsible for a good chunk of aero drag which is why carmakers try to block off as much as possible these days. Anyway, the air near the front of the engine compartment is mostly cold air. It's close enough to the front grilles that it will bring in fresh air.

EDIT:

Look at this picture of the airflow in an Audi A6

and

Last edited by upsidedownfunnel; 02-15-2020 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2020, 05:42 PM   #8
Wires
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Once the car is moving, there is a lot of air going through that bay. It's only during stop/go driving that you potentially would have a hot air ingestion situation.

If you consider an engine putting out 400HP, it's generating almost 300,000 Watts of heat that needs to get removed!

GM finally overcame this issue on the Corvette which allowed them to step jump the boost and power output. They needed much larger front intake to draft air through the engine compartment, but too large, then the front end would start to lift under at speed.

Moral of the story, keep driving and then heat is a non-issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 07:23 PM   #9
visionaut
TwinPowerTurbo'd
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘16 435iX Gran Coupé, ‘76 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
The description for the MPerformance says more air flow, but I am wondering how there could be that much difference in that limited area with similar design?
I’ve been curious on this myself. Besides the obvious big red porthole in the side of the MPerf air box, I’ve wondered if it might also be larger capacity or might it have a better internal airflow design than the stock box to provide a performance gain.

Comparing the two, my take is the structure/internal design is the same, and it’s the same dimensionally. (If it’s larger it would have to only be taller, and marginally so.) The big/only difference is that obvious red porthole in the side. Which doesn’t mate to anything, and sits open in the engine bay. (?)

Aerodynamically the red flange on the air box hole looks to be for smoothing air transition into box, somewhat akin to a trumpet/air horn. Of course, the now open air box also makes the intake noise louder. The red flange could also act as a muffler to make the intake sound better than a flat hole in the side of the box.

So it must be the red porthole that provides the “more airflow”. Maybe it provides needed additional peak-need air supply for the tune? (even if it’s hotter air...?). And you get to hear more intake noise too. Simple, not very elegant, but likely effective for its goal(s).

I’d like to think the M Perf air box provides a performance boost, but it might have more to do with it providing a intake sound increase (even at the expense of the original closed/cold system design).

02-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #10
Wires
Colonel
Canada
Rep

From other threads I've seen in the past, the box dimensions are identical, it's just the swap of the snow valve on the non-m box to the red inlet in the m-box.

If you truly want to know if there is a benefit, you just need to put a vacuum gauge on the tube after the air filter. If there is a restriction, you will see a vacuum draw. You will always see a bit of a pressure difference just due to the filter, but it shouldn't go crazy high under WOT load. I'm not sure if this is what the MAP sensor sees if you look at the OBD data (so maybe it's just a matter of dumping a couple of WOT logs....)
Appreciate 0