F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > New to tuning, what do I need to know about the BM3?
European Auto Source (EAS)

Yesterday, 09:11 AM   #1
340i_f30
Rep
Drives: 340i

New to tuning, what do I need to know about the BM3?

Car is stock, may do an intake and exhaust, but other than that no plans to go crazy. Want to get a simple tune and have read a BM3 is smoother and safer than a Dinan Elite or JB4 piggy back because it is more in depth and sees all parameters vice just tweaking a few inputs to sensors and my warranty expired so not worried about that.

Never tuned a car before so I'm nervous about what could happen, what if software corrupts something or it won't revert back to stock when I try to sell the car. Am I overthinking it and these aren't common issues?

Planning to do the OTS stage 1. What are the common issues with that tune? Any failure to engine components or other thing on the car I should watch out for?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)

I went from JB+ to BM3 stage 1 93.

So much nicer. Impressive power but still stock smooth as you'd expect from a carefully mapped engine.

Do it, you won't regret it.
      Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #3
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5

It's a painless process. They recommend having your car hooked up to a battery charger or jumper cables to prevent the battery from dying when flashing, but it's possible to do it without. Just follow the instructions for flashing on their website/youtube.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340i_f30 View Post
Car is stock, may do an intake and exhaust, but other than that no plans to go crazy. Want to get a simple tune and have read a BM3 is smoother and safer than a Dinan Elite or JB4 piggy back because it is more in depth and sees all parameters vice just tweaking a few inputs to sensors and my warranty expired so not worried about that.

Never tuned a car before so I'm nervous about what could happen, what if software corrupts something or it won't revert back to stock when I try to sell the car. Am I overthinking it and these aren't common issues?

Planning to do the OTS stage 1. What are the common issues with that tune? Any failure to engine components or other thing on the car I should watch out for?
It's a straightforward process.

We emailed you the license code, some dealers like us offer the Enet cable for free as well

You will use your license code to create an account and save your map on the bootmod3 website.

Once you have downloaded the map and received the cable, you connect your laptop to your car and select flash map.
The entire process takes a couple of minutes.

Most common failure is the charge pipe, I recommend upgrading to an aluminum CP.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #5
johnung
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:

BootMod3 Stage1 is a smooth powerful tune. No issues at all and no new hardware needed. N55 engine's needed charge pipe replacement because stock pipe had a weak design but you have B58 engine so no worries.

I suggest buying the $50 multiple tune package and make certain that it is registered on your account with PTF. You will be ready if need want to upgrade in future. But it also helps if you normally run 93 octane and may travel where gas is suspect or only 91 is available. Or if you suspect a bad batch of gas and want to flash down to 91 octane to see if it runs better.

Don't go out to tune like in the morning when your battery has been sitting a long time and may have drained some. Best to tune after driving 20-30 minutes to be sure battery is charged.

Open trunk and hood and fold forward rear seats, just to have emergency access to battery connections.

Watch installation videos such as Kies Motorsports to familiarize yourself. Go slow. Take notes and photos if you run into anything.

Really shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to install BM3, going slowly. Do their automatic transmission tune after installing engine tune.

I'd suggest dropping in a better breathing air filter such as aFe Pro Dry at some point.

Enjoy BootMod3!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:57 PM   #6
SC_B5X
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i

I'm personally an MHD guy, but I think you'll be very happy with the bump in power over stock with the BM3 OTS maps.

So far there is no common issues on the B58 relating to tunes. I'd suggest picking up a catless (or high flow catted if you care about emissions) downpipe if you haven't already.

I wouldn't recommend getting an intake, as they don't benefit the performance of the stock turbo over the stock airbox. All they do is add a lot more turbo noise (which if thats what you want, definitely grab an intake), and raise IAT temps which actually hurts performance. I ran stock airbox/filter while I was stock turbo (Dyno'd 470whp/520wtq) and had no issues. Now that i'm upgraded turbo I invested in a AFE Power drop in filter and Williams Performance intake pipe for my stock airbox.

Also don't worry about upgrading the chargepipe, i've yet to see anyone blow up a stock chargepipe, it's not like N54/N55 chargepipes that blow off even on stock power. I have been running the stock chargepipe for a year now (tuned the entire time), and now I am still running it on upgraded turbo with no issues.

EDIT: I'd suggest getting XHP Transmission tune in the future as well. It removes the torque limiters (not a concern if you are only planning to run OTS Maps), lets you change torque in each gear (good for managing launches), custom launch control, and a ton of other things. It also makes the shifts lightning fast.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:36 PM   #7
340i_f30
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
It's a straightforward process.

We emailed you the license code, some dealers like us offer the Enet cable for free as well

You will use your license code to create an account and save your map on the bootmod3 website.

Once you have downloaded the map and received the cable, you connect your laptop to your car and select flash map.
The entire process takes a couple of minutes.

Most common failure is the charge pipe, I recommend upgrading to an aluminum CP.
How much do you charge for the license? What can I expect to get for resale if I sell the license (I understand it can only be sold once).
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #8
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
How much do you charge for the license? What can I expect to get for resale if I sell the license (I understand it can only be sold once).

Whatever one is willing to pay for it. Currently averaging around 50% of Retail Price...

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0