F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 ID6 NBT Evo Retrofit Help
proTUNING Freaks

11-30-2021, 04:12 AM   #1
mitesh33
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i Sport

F30 ID6 NBT Evo Retrofit Help

Hi,

Hope someone can point me in the right direction, I have searched on here however cannot find the answer for my car and what I want to do.

I have a 2012 BMW F30 320d. It currently has the entry level 6.5inch screen NBT system with No Nav with base entry speakers with no amp.

I've purchased from a donor 2018 BMW F30 as pictured a ID6 NBT Evo Kit which includes:

- 8.8 touch screen
- ID6 NBT Evo Unit
- iDrive Touch Controller
- iDrive Touch Controller Module
- NBT to Touch screen video cable
- Wi-Fi Antenna
- iDrive Controller and Touch Module Y-Splitter cable

Will someone be able to help with what other equipment I need to purchase such as wiring harness etc?

What exact coding will I need to make this work on my car. Note I mainly wanted wireless CarPlay and larger screen. No too worried about the BMW navigation as I'll always use CarPlay.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by mitesh33; 12-02-2021 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 04:30 AM   #2
Finn2k1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116d

You are gonna need the following:

a. Pink connector HSD cable for the APX2 monitor in case you have APX1
b. Wifi antenna
c. To trim the USB1 HSD cable (white one) so it can fit onto the new USB1 port and rotate it 180 degrees.
d.Splitter in order to connect both the touch ECU and the iDrive controller.
e.Custom FSC codes for your VIN in order to "activate" the donor HU
g. FSC codes for CarPlay and other features that you may need.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2021, 08:21 AM   #3
mitesh33
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn2k1 View Post
You are gonna need the following:

a. Pink connector HSD cable for the APX2 monitor in case you have APX1
b. Wifi antenna
c. To trim the USB1 HSD cable (white one) so it can fit onto the new USB1 port and rotate it 180 degrees.
d.Splitter in order to connect both the touch ECU and the iDrive controller.
e.Custom FSC codes for your VIN in order to "activate" the donor HU
g. FSC codes for CarPlay and other features that you may need.
Thanks have just ordered:

- The correct OEM video cable to link the NBT EVO ID6 to the F3x Touch 8.8
- Wifi Antenna (aftermarket)
- Y-Splitter cable for iDrive Touch & iDrive Controller

What else is required in terms of Wiring Adapter, such as the Quadlock with OABR connector? please can someone send me link picture on which exact one to buy.

Regarding the USB yes I will be trimming to fit, the ID6 has another USB port, where does this go?

I will send the ID6 to someone for coding as easier for me, or can it be done once fitted into the car?

My car is the 2012 F30 and I have KCAN1 on my old iDrive controller, and I will need KCAN2 for the new iDrive Touch, so from my understanding, I will need to:

1. Remove the old KCAN1 wires from PINS 3 & 4 on the iDrive Controller harness and tape/insulate off.

2. Tap into PINS 11 & 9 on the NBT Quadlock using twisted pair of BMW wires to connect the KCAN2 wires into PINS 3 & 4 on the iDrive Controller harness
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
Finn2k1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitesh33 View Post
Thanks have just ordered:

- The correct OEM video cable to link the NBT EVO ID6 to the F3x Touch 8.8
- Wifi Antenna (aftermarket)
- Y-Splitter cable for iDrive Touch & iDrive Controller

What else is required in terms of Wiring Adapter, such as the Quadlock with OABR connector? please can someone send me link picture on which exact one to buy.

Regarding the USB yes I will be trimming to fit, the ID6 has another USB port, where does this go?

I will send the ID6 to someone for coding as easier for me, or can it be done once fitted into the car?

My car is the 2012 F30 and I have KCAN1 on my old iDrive controller, and I will need KCAN2 for the new iDrive Touch, so from my understanding, I will need to:

1. Remove the old KCAN1 wires from PINS 3 & 4 on the iDrive Controller harness and tape/insulate off.

2. Tap into PINS 11 & 9 on the NBT Quadlock using twisted pair of BMW wires to connect the KCAN2 wires into PINS 3 & 4 on the iDrive Controller harness
Well it depends whether you have combox, TCB or ATM telematics unit. OABR connector is needed in order to pass data via ethernet to your HU from the ATM unit on the trunk. Without it your retrofit will work but you wont have connected drive and factory navigation unless your new head unit comes with the blue fakra on the back. CarPlay upon activation will work though.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 02:02 AM   #5
mitesh33
Rep

Quote:
Well it depends whether you have combox, TCB or ATM telematics unit. OABR connector is needed in order to pass data via ethernet to your HU from the ATM unit on the trunk. Without it your retrofit will work but you wont have connected drive and factory navigation unless your new head unit comes with the blue fakra on the back. CarPlay upon activation will work though.
Hi, thanks, no I just have HU_ENTRY iDrive, no nav 6.5inch screen and it’s 2012 F30, no combo box in trunk

I don’t have the ATM unit for the retrofit as I don’t need connected drive. I don’t have the GPS Fakra or GPS module on the NBT ID6, will get that fitted.

The ID6 NBT unit is from a donor car. Is it possible to physically install the whole retrofit kit to the car first then possible to code the NBT ID6 to my car and match VIN after it’s fitted via OBD port or will someone need to bench code it first? note, I don’t want to install a emulator.

Can I just use the 40 Pin Quadlock OEM connector I already have in the car? Someone mentioned for coding for the first time I will also need the OABR to ethernet adapter, is this true?

Last edited by mitesh33; 12-02-2021 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 04:59 AM   #6
Finn2k1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hi, thanks, no I just have HU_ENTRY iDrive, no nav 6.5inch screen and it’s 2012 F30, no combo box in trunk

I don’t have the ATM unit for the retrofit as I don’t need connected drive. I don’t have the GPS Fakra or GPS module on the NBT ID6, will get that fitted.

The ID6 NBT unit is from a donor car. Is it possible to physically install the whole retrofit kit to the car first then possible to code the NBT ID6 to my car and match VIN after it’s fitted via OBD port or will someone need to bench code it first? note, I don’t want to install a emulator.

Can I just use the 40 Pin Quadlock OEM connector I already have in the car? Someone mentioned for coding for the first time I will also need the OABR to ethernet adapter, is this true?
AFAIK it is advised to have it bench coded/flashed before installation in order to avoid the new HU going into protection mode. The harness package (you are gonna need a 12V power supply as well) is around 120 USD. A third party would charge you around 150USD for the whole process but that would have carplay activated as well, so if you dont know what you are doing it is better to go that way.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 05:05 AM   #7
mitesh33
Rep

Quote:
AFAIK it is advised to have it bench coded/flashed before installation in order to avoid the new HU going into protection mode. The harness package (you are gonna need a 12V power supply as well) is around 120 USD. A third party would charge you around 150USD for the whole process but that would have carplay activated as well, so if you dont know what you are doing it is better to go that way.
Thanks for this, I will find someone in the UK to bench code the NBT ID6 unit then.

Yes the coding it's not something I'm familiar with, i'd rather let someone else code, I can physically install not a problem.

Please can you confirm which Harness I need, if you can forward link so I can buy? I don't need the emulator I presume after it's coded correctly.

Thanks again for the help so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 07:07 AM   #8
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for this, I will find someone in the UK to bench code the NBT ID6 unit then.

Yes the coding it's not something I'm familiar with, i'd rather let someone else code, I can physically install not a problem.

Please can you confirm which Harness I need, if you can forward link so I can buy? I don't need the emulator I presume after it's coded correctly.

Thanks again for the help so far.
I replied to your PM.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0