F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F30 Paddle Shifter Failure
GetBMWParts

10-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #23
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

I dont know enough about the F30 Steptronic electronics, but with you having the same issue with multiple paddle assemblies, it may be worth the time to take the cover off the Shifter and check the wiring condition. Take a look at the thread i provided to see with we were experiencing and what the wiring looked like. Ugly. May be totally unrelated,but it sure sounds similar.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #24
Wedelthomas
Rep
Drives: F30

@IK6SPEED is that diagram you provided how paddles are connected to steering wheel, I was able to purchase the paddles and backplate but haven't been able to get the wiring harness for retrofit, is it really that simple to wire the shifters?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 01:42 AM   #25
paulwtech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F31 320D N47 2014 EffDyn Auto

!Bump! Any definite fix? Gearbox shifter (D/N/R +/-) works perfectly on my 2014 F31 320D - 8-speed sport step auto; but down-shift using the paddle almost always shifts up instead of down when using the down shift paddle! I say almost always; because it seems that when the engine & gearbox are fully warm, the downshift paddle then works fine. It caught me out once when I needed a quick shift down to pass a tractor, (rather than floor the accelerator to kick down as the car wasn’t fully warm), it had shifted from 3rd all the way to 8th! Any thoughts on a resolve.....? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2021, 01:51 AM   #26
paulwtech
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoltos View Post
Struggled to find anyone who has had this issue via google so thought I would ask here. I noticed a couple of weeks ago my down shifter wasnt working. The up shifter was fine. I took my air bag off yesterday to check connections, everything seemed fine. Today niether of them are working! Does this seem like it could be an issue with the little steering wheel loom behind the air bag. Triptronic on the gear shifter is absolutely fine.

Cheers all.
When cold, my downshift (left) paddle shifts up instead of down; when the engine & gearbox are warm, it seems to downshift fine using the left paddle. It caught my out once when I needed to drop a gear to pass a slow tractor. Gear selector +/- shift works fine either cold or warm. How did you fix this?
2014 F31 - 320D - 8 speed sport step auto
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:49 AM   #27
justplain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D MY2013

Yes, I have this problem too.
Rather randomly, when I pull the down shift paddle (left paddle) the car upshifts).
When the car was last at the dealership for an oil service I asked them to check it. Seems the fault is due to a short in one of the control units. (cannot recall which). The car is no longer under motor plan etc and I cannot get it fixed without paying a rather large sum.
Perhaps have your dealer check for control unit faults or shorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwtech View Post
When cold, my downshift (left) paddle shifts up instead of down; when the engine & gearbox are warm, it seems to downshift fine using the left paddle. It caught my out once when I needed to drop a gear to pass a slow tractor. Gear selector +/- shift works fine either cold or warm. How did you fix this?
2014 F31 - 320D - 8 speed sport step auto
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 04:40 AM   #28
paulwtech
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplain View Post
Yes, I have this problem too.
Rather randomly, when I pull the down shift paddle (left paddle) the car upshifts).
When the car was last at the dealership for an oil service I asked them to check it. Seems the fault is due to a short in one of the control units. (cannot recall which). The car is no longer under motor plan etc and I cannot get it fixed without paying a rather large sum.
Perhaps have your dealer check for control unit faults or shorts.
Hi. I read this thread which mentions replacing the worn paddle “watch springs” bmw call it the Switch cluster steering column
I haven’t tried this yet; but am going to at some point...
>>> https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...1643095&page=2 <<<

Last edited by paulwtech; 02-20-2021 at 05:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 04:58 AM   #29
paulwtech
Enlisted Member
Rep

Anyone else who had issues; it can be down to the work Clock springs; they are the device which maintains connections while you turn the steering wheel; bmw call it the Switch cluster steering column; these get worn over time & is standard on all models that they need replace after time. Read / watch here: >>> https://www.youcanic.com/article/clock-spring <<<

Last edited by paulwtech; 02-20-2021 at 05:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:45 PM   #30
clynam
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwtech View Post
Anyone else who had issues; it can be down to the work Clock springs; they are the device which maintains connections while you turn the steering wheel; bmw call it the Switch cluster steering column; these get worn over time & is standard on all models that they need replace after time. Read / watch here: >>> https://www.youcanic.com/article/clock-spring <<<
Did this fix your issue for you? I have the exact same issue. Downshifter sometimes shifts up multiple gears, up shifter sometimes doesn’t work. Only on paddles, gear stick works fine. I looked up clocksprings for my 2014 435i and they’re $600 want to make sure that’s the problem before spending that money! Cheers
Appreciate 0