F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > carplay activation
Studio RSR

03-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
gt11990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m sport 4 series

carplay activation

can someone tell me why on earth are people charging us to activate carplay with enet cables on our pcs

correct me if am wrong but isn't there a free way of coding such features via the enet cable

am sure we can do what they do what do they do thats so special which we have to pay for

Last edited by gt11990; 03-05-2019 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 02:42 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt11990 View Post
can someone tell me why on earth are people charging us to activate carplay with enet cables on our pcs

correct me if am wrong but isn't there a free way of coding such features via the enet cable

am sure we can do what they do what do they do thats so special which we have to pay for
Because a subscription model is the gift that keeps on giving.....or taking.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

I just use my phone to stream thru the bluetooth. Just need a really good mount.

Speaking of CarPlay or android auto, I find them to annoying and intrusive sometimes. I drove my mom's elantra gt which CarPlay and android auto standard... once you plug the any phone it turn on their respective apps then you won't be able to do anything on the phone unless you unplug them from the car. Seriously
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
I just use my phone to stream thru the bluetooth. Just need a really good mount.

Speaking of CarPlay or android auto, I find them to annoying and intrusive sometimes. I drove my mom's elantra gt which CarPlay and android auto standard... once you plug the any phone it turn on their respective apps then you won't be able to do anything on the phone unless you unplug them from the car. Seriously
That is not true for Android Auto.

I have had Android Auto on 4 different cars and all you need to do is swipe to unlock the phone and temporarily disable AA-- you can use your phone while still plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
gt11990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m sport 4 series

but i still dont understand why if its coding that is already built into the vehicle which alll need is to be modified like so many other features that can be enabled

why is there not a free guide out there on how to enable carplay

why is there people out there who charge just to have the coding done which should be free

bare in mind they want me to pay them for the codes but they want me to do all the work by applying the codes and what not to my car

i searched everywhere guess what there is not one single person who has said

oh here you go this is the method or guide on how to code carplay into your I drive
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 06:54 PM   #6
NavS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Real question should be if this is possible why doesn't BMW themselves just enable the god damn thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
That is not true for Android Auto.

I have had Android Auto on 4 different cars and all you need to do is swipe to unlock the phone and temporarily disable AA-- you can use your phone while still plugged in.
Also not true for Apple CarPlay. In my last two cars, I was able to use my iPhone while it was plugged in. There is a safety feature on CarPlay that disables phone use while driving/plugged in, but in my case it was disabled by default. I believe it's in the CarPlay settings menu on iPhone. I can't remember since my f30 doesn't have it and it's been a while since I've used it.
      03-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt11990 View Post
but i still dont understand why if its coding that is already built into the vehicle which alll need is to be modified like so many other features that can be enabled

why is there not a free guide out there on how to enable carplay

why is there people out there who charge just to have the coding done which should be free

bare in mind they want me to pay them for the codes but they want me to do all the work by applying the codes and what not to my car

i searched everywhere guess what there is not one single person who has said

oh here you go this is the method or guide on how to code carplay into your I drive
Because they know how to do it and you don’t.

Technically speaking, it’s software theft anyway.
Appreciate 0