F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Installing brake ducts
GetBMWParts

05-26-2023, 08:16 PM   #67
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnicorn340 View Post
Hey! Totally reviving this thread, skier_du did you ever go back and update this setup? Thinking about attempting your set up this coming summer.

Did my first HPDE day, and had some sketchy fade on hp+'s and roasted my rubber lines on rbf600, so I'm thinking a ducting upgrade and steel lines should be the trick to getting that sweet spot.

For anyone else tracking their f30s especially the heavier's 6 cyl's any other recommendations? I already have blue calipers so I don't want or need a BBK, maybe getting DTC pads next.
So, TheUnicorn340 to finally get back to you, the short answer is yes.
Now to the long answer. I didn’t get back to modifying what I had. Simply a matter of priorities with the car and life at the time. However, I have since completely changed my setup.
Currently, I have a Paragon Perfmance track BBK in the front, and the rear kit waiting to be installed. Along with the front BBK I installed Speed Engineering Clubsport brake cooling kit.
With that setup (stock rear brakes I got 1 track day. Using Carbotech XP10 brake pads, and Endless RF650 brake fluid, the car was amazing at track. Great brake feel and stopping power that allowed me to brake as deep as the Porsches. I had 6, 20+ minutes sessions, and only 1 time, when I was chasing a GT3, did I experience a touch of brake fade.
After the track day, I switched back to street pads a couple weeks later and inspected the setup. The Paragon brakes looked great and the XP 10 pads had only a little wear. However, they clearly were working too hard because of the small, sliding caliper stock rear brakes. The caliper strips in the outside of the pistons reached over 500 F. Also, the Speed Engineering brake ducts, that attach to the wheel well liner and funnel air from the factory front brake ducts to a hose, had melted and deformed significantly. I reached out to SE and they said several f30s have these and no one had melted them yet. Oops. 😬 Blame it in the GT3 for egging me on.
Currently I’ve been working with Speed Engineering to develop a new ducting adapter. I’ll be cutting the factory front sifting and attaching their adapter that will allow me to connect the hose. This will be fresh air from the front of the car. My hope is that with the addition of the rear brake upgrade taking more of the work, and the updated ducting, I’ll have rock solid braking.
With my current experience, I would highly recommend getting the Speed Engineering ducting. It’s reasonably priced and their willingness to help out has been great. Also, Paragon makes very good, but also reasonably priced 2 piece rotors with directional vanes that greatly help in cooling. Also, after having the DTC pads and the Carbotech, I prefer the bite and feel of the Carbotech pads.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2023, 06:53 PM   #68
uncle ben
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Upgrading the front rotors with girodisc or paragon is a great option that is easy to do and offers big results. If you need even more capacity, try titanium brake pad shims and if you are up for a challenge, you can upgrade the caliper pistons to stainless steel vs aluminum and add some brake ducting for cooling. After that you are pretty much maxed out.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 03:12 PM   #69
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnicorn340 View Post
Hey! Totally reviving this thread, skier_du did you ever go back and update this setup? Thinking about attempting your set up this coming summer.

Did my first HPDE day, and had some sketchy fade on hp+'s and roasted my rubber lines on rbf600, so I'm thinking a ducting upgrade and steel lines should be the trick to getting that sweet spot.

For anyone else tracking their f30s especially the heavier's 6 cyl's any other recommendations? I already have blue calipers so I don't want or need a BBK, maybe getting DTC pads next.
If you already have the M Sport Brake Option, you really only need RBF600 and track pads like Ferodo DS1.11 or Hawk DTC-60 level pads. Factory rotors are sufficient for track applications.

I have steel lines but I think they don't matter in the grand scheme of things. I believe factory lines do have a steel core - I cut one open to inspect it after installing aftermarket brake lines.
Appreciate 0