F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW Will not pay for software update?
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
Astone22
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: F30 320 xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Stl

iTrader: (0)

BMW Will not pay for software update?

I am still under factory warranty. According to the key read out it says my car has an available software update. Why is the dealer trying to charge for this?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
BEM-S4's Avatar
United_States
3071
Rep
7,343
Posts

Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (3)

Warranty has nothing to do with it. What matters is if you still have maintenance plan. Two entirely different things.
__________________
2016 F23 M235 xDrive Apex EC-7 Dinan Stage 2 AA IC MPE
2016 F31 328 xDrive BSM/SB Dinan Stage 1
2014 F30 328i xDrive
2007 E70 X5 4.8
2006 E46 330ci ZHP Apex ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #3
Astone22
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: F30 320 xdrive
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Stl

iTrader: (0)

still have maintnece plan. The reason it was in the shop was for new brake pads which were covered. What should i tell them to get it covered?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:20 PM   #4
obert
Colonel
obert's Avatar
United_States
437
Rep
2,513
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle Wa

iTrader: (28)

Why get it upgraded? I don’t think it’s necessary to do unless you get something replaced that requires the software to be updated. This could be why they are messing with you.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #5
eluded
2JZ-GTE
eluded's Avatar
Bulgaria
1022
Rep
2,195
Posts

Drives: 340 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia

iTrader: (0)

Software updates aren't always a good thing.
Appreciate 1
scostu755.50

      07-15-2018, 11:32 PM   #6
rak299
First Lieutenant
United_States
100
Rep
348
Posts

Drives: 2018 340i xdrive F32 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: san francisco

iTrader: (0)

Try to find out what is supposed to be upgraded or fixed. Then you can decide if you want it. The last upgrade I got seemed to fix nothing and it broke rev-matching on downshifts.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 12:40 AM   #7
obert
Colonel
obert's Avatar
United_States
437
Rep
2,513
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle Wa

iTrader: (28)

I had my steering rack replaced and they had to do a firmware update. It erased all my coding and messed with my after market CA.

It was a pain to get everything back to the way it was before the update.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 12:45 AM   #8
IK6SPEED
Major General
IK6SPEED's Avatar
United_States
1740
Rep
5,771
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 / AH3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astone22 View Post
I am still under factory warranty. According to the key read out it says my car has an available software update. Why is the dealer trying to charge for this?
They do not do software update under warranty unless the car has an issue that the update will fix.

Just upgrading your software to get a newer version is not covered under warranty, just as replacing items that BMW has updated since the car was built are not covered either.

Yes it will wipe out any coding.

However, I update mine at least annually. It usually has positive benefits in the car.
__________________
Stable: F80 / AH3
Past: F80 ZCP / F22 M235i / E89 35is
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #9
Cyanfall
Private
Cyanfall's Avatar
15
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2017 f32 440i coupe
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I cannot believe dealer charge money for software update.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
upsidedownfunnel
Lieutenant
United_States
217
Rep
511
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Software updates are a huge pain in the a** for everyone involved. They take up a lot of shop time, they are inherently risky, oftentimes they might break something that the customer will come back to complain about endlessly. They should only be done if there is something to fix.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Why is it so hard to believe that the dealer would charge money for an update? It requires a service bay be used for a few hours while your car is updated. And for what? So the customer can see a higher software version on their iDrive screen?
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC223.50

      07-16-2018, 11:22 PM   #11
Orion4
Captain
United_States
187
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

In the vast majority of the cases, a software update is not worth the pain for either you or the service department, unless you have a fault that requires the update. The updates done to my E90 335i and F30 335i have provided very little upgrade that is noticeable other than addressing the faults diagnosed. Dealers typically allot a full day for the car. May take as little as 4 hrs, but often more. Since dealer has to log in and communicate BMW's system (do not have locally) ,I've experienced multiple reload attempts, failed communication networks, etc. And as others have stated, it normally sets all your coding youve done back to baseline.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:00 AM   #12
IK6SPEED
Major General
IK6SPEED's Avatar
United_States
1740
Rep
5,771
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 / AH3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
In the vast majority of the cases, a software update is not worth the pain for either you or the service department, unless you have a fault that requires the update. The updates done to my E90 335i and F30 335i have provided very little upgrade that is noticeable other than addressing the faults diagnosed. Dealers typically allot a full day for the car. May take as little as 4 hrs, but often more. Since dealer has to log in and communicate BMW's system (do not have locally) ,I've experienced multiple reload attempts, failed communication networks, etc. And as others have stated, it normally sets all your coding youve done back to baseline.
Dealers charge 2 hours as a rule for Updates.
__________________
Stable: F80 / AH3
Past: F80 ZCP / F22 M235i / E89 35is
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:57 AM   #13
Orion4
Captain
United_States
187
Rep
950
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (0)

Agree, but in my cases, they alloted a full day for the update to be completed just in case they had issues- and they did.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #14
XxThe_RemedyXx
Captain
United_States
297
Rep
871
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i XDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

I had my software updated as a result of a transmission bug my dealer was looking into. Before the update I wasn't getting information in my dash (heated steering wheel notification on/off and some other data which I don't remember). I also noticed iDrive navigation was noticeably faster and my transmission was much smoother/linear.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #15
Sea-Tac
Major
Sea-Tac's Avatar
United_States
853
Rep
1,126
Posts

Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bellevue, Wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Warranty has nothing to do with it. What matters is if you still have maintenance plan. Two entirely different things.
You speak the truth!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #16
Sea-Tac
Major
Sea-Tac's Avatar
United_States
853
Rep
1,126
Posts

Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bellevue, Wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Agree, but in my cases, they alloted a full day for the update to be completed just in case they had issues- and they did.
I haven't had an update performed by BMW to date in at least 5 cars where an issue didn't come up. Kind of makes one wonder...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #17
IK6SPEED
Major General
IK6SPEED's Avatar
United_States
1740
Rep
5,771
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 / AH3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
I haven't had an update performed by BMW to date in at least 5 cars where an issue didn't come up. Kind of makes one wonder...
And going back in time, one would never have an update.

But as cars are more and more computer controlled, the performance can be be refined and updated with new code...with no legitimate reason not to.
__________________
Stable: F80 / AH3
Past: F80 ZCP / F22 M235i / E89 35is
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 06:50 PM   #18
Sea-Tac
Major
Sea-Tac's Avatar
United_States
853
Rep
1,126
Posts

Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Bellevue, Wa

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
And going back in time, one would never have an update.

But as cars are more and more computer controlled, the performance can be be refined and updated with new code...with no legitimate reason not to.
Exactly so.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #19
Cyanfall
Private
Cyanfall's Avatar
15
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2017 f32 440i coupe
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Software updates are a huge pain in the a** for everyone involved. They take up a lot of shop time, they are inherently risky, oftentimes they might break something that the customer will come back to complain about endlessly. They should only be done if there is something to fix.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Why is it so hard to believe that the dealer would charge money for an update? It requires a service bay be used for a few hours while your car is updated. And for what? So the customer can see a higher software version on their iDrive screen?
It sounds like BMW did terrible job of programming the system. It is really unthinkable at an era of weekly updating system of phones and computers, the infortament system take so long and so much risk to just update once.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #20
upsidedownfunnel
Lieutenant
United_States
217
Rep
511
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanfall View Post
It sounds like BMW did terrible job of programming the system. It is really unthinkable at an era of weekly updating system of phones and computers, the infortament system take so long and so much risk to just update once.
You can update the infotainment at home in 15 minutes with a USB flash drive. We're talking about updating the software on all the various ECUs in the car.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #21
IK6SPEED
Major General
IK6SPEED's Avatar
United_States
1740
Rep
5,771
Posts

Drives: BMW M3 / AH3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanfall View Post
It sounds like BMW did terrible job of programming the system. It is really unthinkable at an era of weekly updating system of phones and computers, the infortament system take so long and so much risk to just update once.
You clearly have paid no attention to how long (if ever) Samsung and others takes to update their Smartphone android software after new versions released by Google. And of course they only do it for a year or so.

And iPhone users from the Fall 2012 State of the Art iPhone 5 and 2013 5C have not been able to update for a year now...and never will again.

At least you can still update 2012 and prior BMW iStep.
__________________
Stable: F80 / AH3
Past: F80 ZCP / F22 M235i / E89 35is
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #22
Cyanfall
Private
Cyanfall's Avatar
15
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2017 f32 440i coupe
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
You can update the infotainment at home in 15 minutes with a USB flash drive. We're talking about updating the software on all the various ECUs in the car.
I did not quite understood it was the ECU you were discussing. Thanks for clarification.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:52 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST