F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Car accident, thoughts on extent of damage 428i
Studio RSR

10-31-2019, 07:10 PM   #45
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Damn where are you located.... those are the cheapest labor cost I ever seen.
Collision and Paint hourly charges are always much cheaper than Service hours. You cannot compare the two.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:35 PM   #46
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Collision and Paint hourly charges are always much cheaper than Service hours. You cannot compare the two.
No... literally all them are cheap.... I'm here LA socal and yeah those are cheap
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:43 PM   #47
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No... literally all them are cheap.... I'm here LA socal and yeah those are cheap
Even LA Collision and Paint labor rate is MUCH cheaper than service rate.

BMW of Beverly Hills Service Rate is $205.88 per hour.

Their Body Shop rate and Paint Shop rate is $53.99 per hour compared to OP's $42.00 per hour.
Their Paint Supply Rate is $39.46 per hour compared to OP's $34.00 per hour.

Don't confuse Dealer Service Rate with Body and Paint Rates.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 01:20 AM   #48
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Here are some of the bigger ticket items I think could be missing...

Parts:
Steering rack
Headlamp modules
Right upper Rail (unclear if this is listed as a repair?)

Labor:
All labor for above parts plus
Calibrate headlamps
AC work

Similar wreck 3 series, no airbags blown, estimated more than $20k repair with OE parts. A few more parts and labor due to options and AWD though.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #49
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post

Parts:
Steering rack
This exact part pushed my 320i into the totaled zone 3 weeks ago. Was told it was at least $4k OEM.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #50
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Parts:
Steering rack
Headlamp modules
Right upper Rail (unclear if this is listed as a repair?)

Labor:
All labor for above parts plus
Calibrate headlamps
AC work

Similar wreck 3 series, no airbags blown, estimated more than $20k repair with OE parts. A few more parts and labor due to options and AWD though.
Headlight alignment is included in estimate...as is the additional cost for a tow cover which has always come included when I've purchased an OEM Bumper.

As they went with LKQ for the headlight and fender, I suspect that they would do same for steering rack. But agree, that is an expensive $3k part if new plus labor.

OP should make sure headlight lens is clear and non-pitted if his was in better condition. Used headlight lens are known for questionable condition.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 01:57 PM   #51
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Headlight alignment is included in estimate...as is the additional cost for a tow cover which has always come included when I've purchased an OEM Bumper.

As they went with LKQ for the headlight and fender, I suspect that they would do same for steering rack. But agree, that is an expensive $3k part if new plus labor.

OP should make sure headlight lens is clear and non-pitted if his was in better condition. Used headlight lens are known for questionable condition.
The alignment for the housing is ncluded, but not the additional calibration for the adaptive LED lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #52
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The alignment for the housing is ncluded, but not the additional calibration for the adaptive LED lights.
Both procedures are included in the 0.5 hour estimate
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #53
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Both procedures are included in the 0.5 hour estimate
That's possible. In my reference it is listed twice; .5 to aim and $130 sublet to calibrate.
This was an adjusted quote post teardown, so room for some error there with two writers, the technician and the insurance adjuster.

Last edited by AlpineX; 11-02-2019 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #54
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Any updates OP? Accident was two weeks ago and seems like this is being dragged. Have they put your wife in a rental? Knowing you want this to be totaled so you guys can move forward to get another vehicle. Has she made up her mind what she wants next?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 01:11 AM   #55
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Any updates OP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthemavm View Post
Was not happy with the insurance company fixing the car, so I have been pushing State Farm to total the car. They were steadfast in only wanting to repair the car. Was able to get ahold of the other drivers insurance that is liable and at fault of the accident.

They were surprised that the car wasn't totalled due to the airbag deployment. They are inspecting the car tommorow and hope that after our push for diminished value that they will just total the car.
OP, IMO continue with your own insurance because you may want their protection from the party that your wife hit. Your car is a total with addition of the steering rack alone, which should easily be accepted by your insurance co as part of a complete repair. You can also bring your car to a certified BMW repair facility for A QUOTE and not State Farms recommended partner facility (which works on all cars, mostly NOT BMW). Your insurance company will point out the difference in parts price and labor rates (which you would be responsible for over your contracted coverage). The car is not getting repaired, just could give you more information toward what is required for a complete repair.

Last edited by AlpineX; 11-02-2019 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #56
anthemavm
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3MC

The insurance company for the party that caused the accident is goimg to want to total the car. We will find out next week what they are going to offer.

The wife really wants to stay in a 4 series, might look at the a5 sportsback.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #57
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthemavm View Post
The insurance company for the party that caused the accident is goimg to want to total the car. We will find out next week what they are going to offer.

The wife really wants to stay in a 4 series, might look at the a5 sportsback.
I suspect what they offer will be offering less than what State Farm stated was the fair market value considering the prices on AutoTrader.

Anyone can put a price on a car's value they are NOT buying. Almost sounds like State Farm over valued the car to NOT total it for some reason.

State Farm wasn't a good neighbor in this case.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 04:43 PM   #58
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

OP, IMO continue with your own insurance because you may want their protection from the party that your wife hit. Your car is a total with addition of the steering rack alone, which should easily be accepted by your insurance co as part of a complete repair. You can also bring your car to a certified BMW repair facility for A QUOTE and not State Farms recommended partner facility (which works on all cars, mostly NOT BMW). Your insurance company will point out the difference in parts price and labor rates (which you would be responsible for over your contracted coverage). The car is not getting repaired, just could give you more information toward what is required for a complete repair.
Considering car was hit in right corner, why do you keep insisting the steering rack is bad?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #59
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Considering car was hit in right corner, why do you keep insisting the steering rack is bad?
EPS is an automatic replacement if a wreck damage involves significant impact on one of the front wheels. That's how it was explained to me.
Probably a liability thing is my guess.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #60
anthemavm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I suspect what they offer will be offering less than what State Farm stated was the fair market value considering the prices on AutoTrader.

Anyone can put a price on a car's value they are NOT buying. Almost sounds like State Farm over valued the car to NOT total it for some reason.

We were at the dealer yesterday looking at other CPO 2016 and the prices were very close to what State Farm offered.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #61
anthemavm
Captain
Rep

Quote:

We were at the dealer yesterday looking at other CPO 2016 and the prices were very close to what State Farm offered.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #62
terryna
Rep
Drives: m5

Quote:
all airbag went off... then this car is totalled.
agree...
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 07:56 PM   #63
gooseNzoose
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

It’s an interesting case to examine. I think the car should be totaled in this case because the damage is severe, and the airbags went off.
The point is that insurance companies often refuse to provide insurance for a car that was repaired after being totaled. It makes a choice more difficult for the owners and makes them look for a new car.
I’m studying to become an insurance lawyer, and I will also have to deal with such cases. I want to work with https://puschnguyen.com/houston-car-accident-lawyer/ in the future, and I need some experience for that.

Last edited by gooseNzoose; 12-05-2022 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 06:54 AM   #64
Mooney6959
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435xi Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseNzoose View Post
It’s an interesting case to examine. I think the car should be totaled in this case because the damage is severe, and the airbags went off.
3 year old thread.
I'm hoping the insurance company made a decision by now.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 07:48 AM   #65
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooney6959 View Post
3 year old thread.
I'm hoping the insurance company made a decision by now.
No reason to have bumped the thread. If you look at the threads he made shortly after his post in this one his wife got a 550 so that's an assumption that it was totaled.

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0