F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Any Electronic Exhaust Cutouts Here?
Studio RSR

10-30-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
leeicedtea
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

Any Electronic Exhaust Cutouts Here?

Hey everybody, my current 328i is straight piped, and I saved my muffler in my garage. I have grown addicted to the ricery aggressive gun-shot sounding burbles you get from Bootmod, however, being that this car is my daily, the drone has been driving me mad. I looked for solution such as valve'd exhaust systems, however, valvetronic is literally $3000.

I came to a decision that converting the 328i to a dual tip exhaust with an electronic cutout valve right before the muffler, where the muffled sound would come out the right side, and straight pipe through the left, would provide the best of both worlds. I messaged my local muffler shop with the details, and they let me know in response that most electronic valves don't seal properly, they wouldn't know how to wire one, they break with the heat threshold of the exhaust, and neither is there enough clearance for such task under my hood. I was wondering if any of you guys run such set-ups as to give me any ideas as to what I can do to accomplish this, and how you're liking your setup?
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
MilanF30
Private First Class
Rep

This is what i did, similar to what you want, it's basically muffler bypass using existing valve. It's still operated by engine ECU. Pretty quiet in normal driving, and louder when driving harder.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 08:51 AM   #3
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Here are some pics of my setup. Electronic cutout installed somewhere on the engine-side of the mid-pipe. Doesn't seal completely, but the leak is completely bearable. A toddler could've done the wiring, it was very easy, just had a fab shop make the turn down and do the welding. I'll post videos later if I can. Details of the mods/setup in my signature.
Attached Images

11-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #4
leeicedtea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanF30 View Post
This is what i did, similar to what you want, it's basically muffler bypass using existing valve. It's still operated by engine ECU. Pretty quiet in normal driving, and louder when driving harder.

Would you care to explain how this is accomplished? did you just gut part of your muffler?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:41 PM   #5
leeicedtea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Here are some pics of my setup. Electronic cutout installed somewhere on the engine-side of the mid-pipe. Doesn't seal completely, but the leak is completely bearable. A toddler could've done the wiring, it was very easy, just had a fab shop make the turn down and do the welding. I'll post videos later if I can. Details of the mods/setup in my signature.

Hey I appreciate it, I'm not too sure what the leak would entail in the future, however, I was hopeful for a different solution where the new tube would actually exit on the right side of the vehicle, essentially doing a 335 conversion.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
MilanF30
Private First Class
Rep

No as you can see briefly in the video, I had a shop weld a pipe which bypasses the muffler, into the left exhaust pipe with OEM valve, but before the valve. And valve is still operated by engine ECU. Didn't touch the inside of the muffler.

I can take some pics if you want, but basically you can see all from video.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 05:40 AM   #7
leeicedtea
Rep

Quote:
No as you can see briefly in the video, I had a shop weld a pipe which bypasses the muffler, into the left exhaust pipe with OEM valve, but before the valve. And valve is still operated by engine ECU. Didn't touch the inside of the muffler.

I can take some pics if you want, but basically you can see all from video.
I finally got around to viewing your video, thank you!
So the valve I take it is located right before the right exhaust tip, and so, when it is completely shut, the sound comes out of the left exhaust tip that is not bypassed?
i'm not entirely sure how the valve operates in a stock vehicle seeing as I was not able to hear the car at all before removing the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 02:23 AM   #8
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeicedtea View Post
I finally got around to viewing your video, thank you!
So the valve I take it is located right before the right exhaust tip, and so, when it is completely shut, the sound comes out of the left exhaust tip that is not bypassed?
i'm not entirely sure how the valve operates in a stock vehicle seeing as I was not able to hear the car at all before removing the muffler.
here's my car, N20 with valvetronic decat exhaust
different when valves close and open
when this video was taken, i'm running stock map
will record another video using Stage 2 AGG later

also quick note, electronic valves will break easiliy. i already destroy 2 valves in 8 months.
Now using vacuum valves, still running great

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 02:45 AM   #9
MilanF30
Private First Class
Rep

Actually depends from where are you looking , but looking from behind at the exhaust pipes, valve is located at the left pipe, and yes, when it's completely shut the sound comes out of the right exhaust tip that is not bypassed, trough the muffler.

In normal driving, valve is usually shut, until you step on the fun pedal, than the valve opens and you can hear the difference. There's other scenarios when it opens, but there's a sticky topic just for operation of the valve
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #10
Ahmaddoski
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw 330i Us spec

Quote:

Hello , looking to do the same mod, how has it been with u does the factory valve hold ok wuth that mod no problems ? Can u make avideo if how it operative and the sound it gives when valve opens , thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 03:42 AM   #11
MilanF30
Private First Class
Rep

Yep it holds ok, it's basically the same for the valve if exhaust are coming trough muffler or bypasses it.

I'll try to make more videos, but currently the weather is really bad over here. I'll record when I get the chance.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #12
Ahmaddoski
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw 330i Us spec

Quote:
Yep it holds ok, it's basically the same for the valve if exhaust are coming trough muffler or bypasses it.

I'll try to make more videos, but currently the weather is really bad over here. I'll record when I get the chance.
I will really appreciate it cuz i did a muffler delete once but got it stock again didn't like the noice constantly
Appreciate 0