F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2020 BMW 3-series vs. 2020 Genesis G70
proTUNING Freaks

10-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #23
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
The brand does come with some reputation baggage (most of it unfounded these days) and their dealer network certianly doesn't help. Genesis has an uphill battle to get people to not always associate them with Hyundai.

I don't remember, but Lexus and Infiniti's were never sold in Toyota/Nissan dealerships when they first came out did they? I don't think Acura did either. That probably made things much easier to market and get people to not think Toyota/Nissan/Honda when they heard the name.
That's one thing Infiniti and Lexus did very well. They really made excellent dealership experiences. Infiniti mandated free loaner cars for all customers (like BMW does) and I believe Lexus does as well. Their dealerships have excellent styling and they all are modern and clean and service is top notch. I'm not sure if Acura was the same way, but I don't believe they were. Acura was always more of a badge engineering luxury brand while Lexus/Infiniti were more along the lines of a true luxury brand (entry level models like the I30 and ES aside).

It's disappointing to the automotive engineers at Genesis, I bet, that Hyundai didn't do a better job planning out their dealership expansion. From what I hear, the existing network of dealerships fought hard to keep Genesis sales within Hyundai dealerships. It'll be interesting for us too young to remember the start of Lexus to see the beginning of a real luxury brand in Genesis. It will only work if they work hard to expand their network of Genesis dealerships, though.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:08 PM   #24
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
3800 lbs for the new bmw? Did it gain that much weight?

Why this comparison. Makes no sense. New 340 runs low 12s and is no match for the Hyundai. 330 would make more sense price and performance wise.
They were compared because, on paper, both cars have turbo charged 6 cylinder engines, both make roughly similar power and torque (at least as listed by the manufacturers), both are similar size and weight, both are in the sporty luxury car segment.

In the instrumented test though, the bmw soundly bested the g70 in every performance metric they tested, as well as practicality, fun on twisty back roads, perceived build quality, interior, and technology. The only things the g70 did better were listed price and cruising in comfort mode. Apparently the m340i suspension was too stiff for the current car and driver staff that tested these vehicles. It seems that performance is no longer their priority in this segment. As for the cost disparity, nicer things usually cost more money. Hate to say it, but that kind of rates a "duh".
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #25
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

The point is the Genesis is not that far behind the M340i and costs about 20% less.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #26
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Phil Collins approves.
      10-29-2019, 11:41 AM   #27
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
The point is the Genesis is not that far behind the M340i and costs about 20% less.
This. Genesis is looking to the spiritual successor to the Infiniti G-series since the new Q50/60s are hot garbage now.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25081.00
      10-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #28
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
yes, but how is the dealership experience when the time comes to honor that warranty?
I am asking because few times i tried to help a friend buy a Kia, went to 2 dealers, got an impression they were in a contest of who can be a bigger scumbag
That and if you try to make a claim they try to deny it. Also non transferable if you buy a used one.
      10-29-2019, 10:23 PM   #29
Danddd
Love rollin in my wagon
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 Saphire Black/Saddle

I find this par of the C&D article interesting: 'Genesis G70 that offers a superior ride-and-handling compromise. Its comportment is more compliant in Sport mode than the BMW’s is in it softest Comfort setting, yet the G70 doesn't wallow down the road in any way. Its body control is excellent, and its reflexes are of proper sports sedan stuff. The BMW, in comparison, often feels overly stiff and busy on the road.'

For everyday driving I like the handling qualities. Although when checking out owner reviews, there are many issues with interior squeaks on the G70.
      10-30-2019, 12:37 AM   #30
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danddd View Post

For everyday driving I like the handling qualities. Although when checking out owner reviews, there are many issues with interior squeaks on the G70.
Don't discount what BMW has learned over the past 50 years then integrated into successor models to please luxury, sport, and tech people over the last 30 years.
340 owner can build as bare or built as desired. That's worth $20k to someone.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 11:42 AM   #31
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
They were compared because, on paper, both cars have turbo charged 6 cylinder engines, both make roughly similar power and torque (at least as listed by the manufacturers), both are similar size and weight, both are in the sporty luxury car segment.

In the instrumented test though, the bmw soundly bested the g70 in every performance metric they tested, as well as practicality, fun on twisty back roads, perceived build quality, interior, and technology. The only things the g70 did better were listed price and cruising in comfort mode. Apparently the m340i suspension was too stiff for the current car and driver staff that tested these vehicles. It seems that performance is no longer their priority in this segment. As for the cost disparity, nicer things usually cost more money. Hate to say it, but that kind of rates a "duh".
How is performance no longer a priority for C&D? They spent more than half the article fawning over the M340i's performance. It's not like they ever recommend the G70 over the M340i. Their review "bottom line" comes down to: the M340i is definitely the better car, but for most people, the G70 will be fine most of the time for a significant price reduction. That means that if you are that 10% that want that extra performance (or just tell your friends about it) and are willing to pay, get the M340i. But if you just want a decently fast luxury commuter car, consider the G70.

Here is the bottom line verbatim. Tell me where C&D doesn't prioritize performance or says the G70 is what they recommend to buy. I'll help you out, they don't.

Quote:
All things being equal, you have to pick the BMW M340i here. It’s significantly quicker, its powertrain is more refined, and it has the richer interior, larger back seat, and bigger trunk. But all things aren’t equal. Our BMW test car cost the price of a new Nissan Versa more than the Genesis, and it’s the G70 that rides better and has more than enough performance and handling for 90 percent of drivers 95 percent of the time. Compared to the M340i, the G70 3.3T Sport represents an incredible value. It does everything nearly as well as the BMW, and it even manages to do a few things better. And you won’t be disappointed when hustling it around or when put your right foot down. It convincingly does both speed and luxury at a discount that the M340i, good as it is, struggles to overcome.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #32
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:

How is performance no longer a priority for C&D? They spent more than half the article fawning over the M340i's performance. It's not like they ever recommend the G70 over the M340i. Their review "bottom line" comes down to: the M340i is definitely the better car, but for most people, the G70 will be fine most of the time for a significant price reduction. That means that if you are that 10% that want that extra performance (or just tell your friends about it) and are willing to pay, get the M340i. But if you just want a decently fast luxury commuter car, consider the G70.

Here is the bottom line verbatim. Tell me where C&D doesn't prioritize performance or says the G70 is what they recommend to buy. I'll help you out, they don't.

Quote:
All things being equal, you have to pick the BMW M340i here. It's significantly quicker, its powertrain is more refined, and it has the richer interior, larger back seat, and bigger trunk. But all things aren't equal. Our BMW test car cost the price of a new Nissan Versa more than the Genesis, and it's the G70 that rides better and has more than enough performance and handling for 90 percent of drivers 95 percent of the time. Compared to the M340i, the G70 3.3T Sport represents an incredible value. It does everything nearly as well as the BMW, and it even manages to do a few things better. And you won't be disappointed when hustling it around or when put your right foot down. It convincingly does both speed and luxury at a discount that the M340i, good as it is, struggles to overcome.
Please read the last 4 sentences in the passage that you quoted. These are their conclusions. In other words, wrapping up the article. They chose the g70 based on value.

It's fine, the g70 is a good value and all. Let's not confuse their conclusion though. C&D always chooses a winner in their comparison articles, and they typically choose in the end. It's pretty clear.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 07:55 AM   #33
vgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

[QUOTE=Fuller;25407167]Please read the last 4 sentences in the passage that you quoted. These are their conclusions. In other words, wrapping up the article. They chose the g70 based on value.

precisely, they are recommending g70 as a value proposition, not as a real alternative. Also, I don't think many 340 buyers will end up getting a g70 instead.
But this value proposition will be even better when it will hit the used car market. Look at what's happening to the used stingers.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 04:49 AM   #34
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

[QUOTE=vgore;25407919]
Quote:
Please read the last 4 sentences in the passage that you quoted. These are their conclusions. In other words, wrapping up the article. They chose the g70 based on value.

precisely, they are recommending g70 as a value proposition, not as a real alternative. Also, I don't think many 340 buyers will end up getting a g70 instead.
But this value proposition will be even better when it will hit the used car market. Look at what's happening to the used stingers.
True, as there's no mod friendly enthusiast community backing the product and no bimmerfest. No body really wants these used and not many want them new. If looking for the genesis or stinger you'd be better off getting a used one as new ones can cost north of $50k for a Kia!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 06:53 AM   #35
Fuller
Major
Rep

[QUOTE=vgore;25407919]
Quote:

A value proposition is a real alternative. They wrap up the article saying that the g70 is cheaper and the majority of motorists wouldn't appreciate the difference in performance you'd get with the bimmer anyway.

While that might be true, it's never stopped c&d from recommending the higher performing car before, especially when comparing two cars that are capable of above average performance.

I mean, we already know that the g70 is cheaper, and it's already been tested ad nauseam, so why not just skip the comparison and test the m340i alone? Car and driver hadn't done a full instrumented test and write up on the m340i prior to this.

Whatever though, at the end of the day it isn't very important or worth arguing about. I'm just saying that I personally don't take c&d seriously. I was merely expressing my opinion. If you guys disagree that's fine, it's not as if I can cancel your subscriptions or block your access to the site.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 08:51 AM   #36
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Surprised this is in F30 post if the comparison is with G20 which I believe to be higher performance than Kia stinger.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #37
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Surprised this is in F30 post if the comparison is with G20 which I believe to be higher performance than Kia stinger.
The Stinger GT and the V6 G70 have the same engine. Hyundai freely admits they tuned the G70 to be more of a performance oriented and the Stinger to be a more relaxed GT type car.
Appreciate 0