F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Charge Pipe failure...again
ARMA SPEED

10-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #45
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Ummm, Dinan....you out there? This would be a great time to chime in. I'm a Dinan fanboy, and quite frankly am surprised that the Dinan dealer denied a charge pipe issue??
What we don't know is if Dinan was even made aware of his issue, I have a sneaking suspicion they were not and this is another example of a dealership to steer far away from for service. Especially if they claim ignorance about the charge pipe(s). I had a Dinan stage 2 on the X1 35i, split the charge pipe, and the dealership didn't even blink, just replaced it under warranty.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #46
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS
Quote:
Ummm, Dinan....you out there? This would be a great time to chime in. I'm a Dinan fanboy, and quite frankly am surprised that the Dinan dealer denied a charge pipe issue??
What we don't know is if Dinan was even made aware of his issue, I have a sneaking suspicion they were not and this is another example of a dealership to steer far away from for service. Especially if they claim ignorance about the charge pipe(s). I had a Dinan stage 2 on the X1 35i, split the charge pipe, and the dealership didn't even blink, just replaced it under warranty.
And to add to that....before I placed my order, I specifically asked the Dinan rep if I'd have ANY drama if I were to blow a charge pipe with my Dinantronics tune. He emphatically said no....there would be absolutely no issues and that they'd take care of it without a hiccup.

Why don't you just call up Dinan directly and explain the situation, tell them what dealer denied you.....and I'm 100% sure it'll be taken care of.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #47
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Plus mention (although they will probably know once you tell them) that this was a Dinan dealership. There is usually a dealership rep they deal with.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #48
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Plus mention (although they will probably know once you tell them) that this was a Dinan dealership. There is usually a dealership rep they deal with.
Thanks. I will call Dinan directly because they were never informed of it. The Dinan/BMW dealer just said it's impossible to break and said they wouldn't even try to warranty the part. My experiences so far with BMW dealers has been so far from pleasant and it pains me to see all these people on the forums who love their dealers and defend them to death. I just wish there was consistency among dealers. The dealer in question totally disregarded the opinion of the master tech at the dealer Where I bought my car and just said no you clearly tampered with it because it just doesn't break ever.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 02:47 AM   #49
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar
Quote:
Thanks. I will call Dinan directly because they were never informed of it. The Dinan/BMW dealer just said it's impossible to break and said they wouldn't even try to warranty the part. My experiences so far with BMW dealers has been so far from pleasant and it pains me to see all these people on the forums who love their dealers and defend them to death. I just wish there was consistency among dealers. The dealer in question totally disregarded the opinion of the master tech at the dealer Where I bought my car and just said no you clearly tampered with it because it just doesn't break ever.
Whether the dealer is liked or not is not the issue here.....once Dinan is notified, I'm sure they will "straighten" things out with your misinformed dealer who refused to replace your charge pipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 06:42 AM   #50
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post

This is the reality that's out there, despite the make of the vehicle the dealership experience can vary greatly for any brand. I could tell you some horror stories with my Cadillac Vs and the difference how I was treated with issues and mods between the local dealerships. Unfortunately for me the good one was 40 miles away across town, a good deal to do with why I stopped buying them.

I am fortunate in the case of BMW because my closest dealership does work with you and has a good relationship with Dinan. But I knew this ahead of time because the Cadillacs taught me to investigate how they look at mods and ask them. A solid reason I'm driving BMWs, and this is my 3rd one.

But I know the suck dealerships are out there, as we continue to read about messed up experiences like this.

Appreciate 1
      10-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #51
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Whether the dealer is liked or not is not the issue here.....once Dinan is notified, I'm sure they will "straighten" things out with your misinformed dealer who refused to replace your charge pipe.
Struggling to get in touch with Dinan warranty support, been calling 2 times a day for the last couple days, left 2 VMs and not one response yet...
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #52
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Struggling to get in touch with Dinan warranty support, been calling 2 times a day for the last couple days, left 2 VMs and not one response yet...
Maybe DM the Dinan rep...he frequents these forums

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #53
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I got a direct number and email for a warranty guy from Nathan Fette just now.
He's the only person I had a direct email for, he's always been very helpful and responsive.
Going to call again tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 04:19 AM   #54
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
I got a direct number and email for a warranty guy from Nathan Fette just now.
He's the only person I had a direct email for, he's always been very helpful and responsive.
Going to call again tomorrow.
As mentioned above....either DM the Dinan guy on this site.....or.....call Dinan sales. There's always someone there to answer the phone in sales lol. Explain that you've been trying to get ahold with warranty for days with no calls returned. Hopefully that'll get the job done.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #55
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

You can always grab some pics of failed charge pipes. There are a bunch and send them to dealer to prove this happens a lot

Mike
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #56
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com
You can always grab some pics of failed charge pipes. There are a bunch and send them to dealer to prove this happens a lot

[IMG]http://www.f30post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1390324851[/IMG]

Mike
Thanks Mike but the service rep didn't even care when I got the master tech at one of the biggest BMW dealers by volume in the country to assure him it was commonplace. Dinan are the only ones who can make this right.

That picture looks identical to the way mine broke. Btw.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 11:54 AM   #57
The Nerd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com

[IMG]http://www.f30post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1390324851[/IMG]

Mike
Thanks Mike but the service rep didn't even care when I got the master tech at one of the biggest BMW dealers by volume in the country to assure him it was commonplace. Dinan are the only ones who can make this right.

You call Dinan yet (maybe not since they only opened at 9 am Pacific time)? Let us know what they say.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 12:36 PM   #58
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Ya thats the place they seem to all fail.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 12:37 PM   #59
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I blew my stock charge pipe using Dinan stage 1 several months back. Dealer refused to warranty the part insisting that it simply never happens. I got the master tech from another dealer in my city to call them and tell them that charge pipes blow all the time especially on boosted cars. Dealer didn't care and wouldn't warranty the part. Stock part is $450 and dealer charged $500 labor to replace it. ER pipe is less than 300 and you can install it yourself given time and patience. There's no way you'll break the ER pipe and it's cheaper there's no reason not to do that if you're adding power.
So the dealer blamed Dinan for the failure?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #60
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
So the dealer blamed Dinan for the failure?

Mike
No they blamed me, insisting that charge pipes cannot blow or break unless directly tampered with.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 02:41 PM   #61
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm certainly not trying to make excuses for them, as I'm thinking by now someone should be getting back to you. But with SEMA about to happen they may be on the way/getting ready for that and not have full staffing.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 02:46 PM   #62
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No they blamed me, insisting that charge pipes cannot blow or break unless directly tampered with.
Come on dude, admit it. You were tampering with the charge pipe, you must have been, they don't fail unless people tamper with them.. .. ..

(remembering my days of the first version CTS-Vs and their weak rear-ends) "Come on now sir, the only reason the differential would have shattered like that was you were abusing the car. We don't warranty abuse !"

Appreciate 2
GTBrandon260.00
      10-31-2015, 01:22 AM   #63
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I finally got a, albeit very brief, response back back from someone in warranty late this afternoon. So this isn't resolved yet but the ball is rolling.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 03:35 AM   #64
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I finally got a, albeit very brief, response back back from someone in warranty late this afternoon. So this isn't resolved yet but the ball is rolling.
Hope your situation gets solved, I have a bmw/dinan dealership where I live and they were pretty cool explaining me what usually breaks when you run higher boost. I just had my intake installed and aftermarket exhaust fixed by them and they told me if I decide to get a ER chargepipe they'll be happy to install it as most of their customers who buy a stage 2 or so buy the ER one to replace OEM.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 04:17 AM   #65
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo
Quote:
Hope your situation gets solved, I have a bmw/dinan dealership where I live and they were pretty cool explaining me what usually breaks when you run higher boost. I just had my intake installed and aftermarket exhaust fixed by them and they told me if I decide to get a ER chargepipe they'll be happy to install it as most of their customers who buy a stage 2 or so buy the ER one to replace OEM.
Yeah hopefully this is resolved next week. I already pulled out both my stock pipes and inter cooler replaced with all with ER anodized aluminum charges pipes. The TIC was courtesy of Mike@n54tuning. Thanks Mike!
I also just ordered a new set of o rings for all the pipes. BMW workshop guide says change o rings when disconnecting pipes and I reused 2 year old rings and 2 couple month old rings from my new stock pipe. I feel like I've got s minor boost leak somewhere so I'm gonna swap all new rings in now.

I don't know why the throttle body pipe end doesn't have a metal flange like the other 3 ends of the pipes. Seems like a big engineering mistake by BMW. I'm very greatful for my all aluminum anodized charge air system from ER.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 06:43 AM   #66
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Canada
Rep

Quote:
They really need their heads examined. Even if you took the thing out played with it, used it a s a golf putter how on earth can they link it to a failure. What do they think you did with it.

Really unbelievable... I would report this to BMW North America corporate.

Mike
Appreciate 1