F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > DIY 6.5 to 8.8 L7 display retrofit swap for 2014+ f2x f3x
Extreme Powerhouse

10-13-2018, 05:42 AM   #287
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
I am struggling trying to remove the connector to the old screen, there is barely any slack on the cable and its hard AF trying to push that tab in and pull it out..

any tips?
Just a lot of patience, it took me half an hour to do it the first time. Just be careful not to break it. Maybe use a small mirror so you can see what you are doing.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 12:51 AM   #288
dvaz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoSK View Post
The 8.8" screen is WAY more practical and overall better than the smaller one. Moreover, you can always install something like this and get navigation via AirPlay or Miracast.
Interesting.

Question regarding screen mirroring: Does it switch only the video input or both video and audio?

Reason is because im usually connected via Bluetooth and stream spotify.

I want to be able to keep BT streaming the music but just mirror the display ( Waze, mostly )
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #289
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
Interesting.

Question regarding screen mirroring: Does it switch only the video input or both video and audio?

Reason is because im usually connected via Bluetooth and stream spotify.

I want to be able to keep BT streaming the music but just mirror the display ( Waze, mostly )
It depends on what your phone does when mirroring. My Sony Xperia Z3 Compact switches both video and audio, however, I can still have it play the navigation directions over Bluetooth (Sygic, the GPS app I use, supports audio via Bluetooth).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 04:04 AM   #290
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
I've combed through this post so many times and I find I'm left with more questions than answers it seems. I have a 2018 230i LCI that I would like to upgrade to the 8.8 display. Some questions I am hoping to find answers to

-Will the touch function work on the upgrade display?

-If I upgrade the controller will the touch function work on that as well?

-Will I have the ability to install Apple car play with the upgrade?

-Is there a way to connect a GPS antenna and have a fully functioning NAV system if I replaced the controller and screen?

-Is it more cost effective to just get the bimmertech screen and controller and use mirroring to use a nav app off my phone?

My goal is to have the larger screen and use nav apps off my iPhone while it's in the wireless charging cradle. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 05:50 AM   #291
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
I've combed through this post so many times and I find I'm left with more questions than answers it seems. I have a 2018 230i LCI that I would like to upgrade to the 8.8 display. Some questions I am hoping to find answers to

-Is there a way to connect a GPS antenna and have a fully functioning NAV system if I replaced the controller and screen?

-Is it more cost effective to just get the bimmertech screen and controller and use mirroring to use a nav app off my phone?

My goal is to have the larger screen and use nav apps off my iPhone while it's in the wireless charging cradle. Thanks in advance!
1+2) No, it probably won't. To get touch, you'll probably have to change the whole head unit. The one you have doesn't support touch.

3) OEM CarPlay requires professional nav, so it only works with NBT EVO (the head unit that comes with the larger screen and supports touch)

4) You can probably enable business nav (not pro nav) in your head unit by connecting an GPS antenna and doing some coding (requires FDL codes). If it can be done, it definately won't be easy. You need to ask in the coding forums or pay someone to do it for you.

5) It is definately cheaper than replacing the head unit, and less likely to void your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #292
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

1+2) No, it probably won't. To get touch, you'll probably have to change the whole head unit. The one you have doesn't support touch.

3) OEM CarPlay requires professional nav, so it only works with NBT EVO (the head unit that comes with the larger screen and supports touch)

4) You can probably enable business nav (not pro nav) in your head unit by connecting an GPS antenna and doing some coding (requires FDL codes). If it can be done, it definately won't be easy. You need to ask in the coding forums or pay someone to do it for you.

5) It is definately cheaper than replacing the head unit, and less likely to void your warranty.
Wow thanks so much for the simple explanation. If I did just the screen would it still function minus the touch? I found a few on eBay for a decent price.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #293
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wow thanks so much for the simple explanation. If I did just the screen would it still function minus the touch? I found a few on eBay for a decent price.
Sure, just be sure to get the correct part number. All cars made from 2017 without nav should have the HU_ENTRYNAV2 head unit (uses tiles).

Be sure to check this post for part numbers for the 3-series. Check http://www.realoem.com/ for your 2-series.

You'll also need an ENET adapter (eBay) and eSys software (coding forums). Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 09:22 PM   #294
dvaz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 E84 X1

Quote:

Just replace the display, everything you listed is way more hassle and $$$$ that is worth.

I am waiting for Bimmertech to release to update for their Carplay MMI that is supposedly gonna support full screen - that is native Carplay ( via Apple Cable, none of the hack-y screen mirroring with Wifi and / or Apple TV stuff they also have ). Too bad there is no Android Auto support.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 01:48 AM   #295
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sure, just be sure to get the correct part number. All cars made from 2017 without nav should have the HU_ENTRYNAV2 head unit (uses tiles).

Be sure to check this post for part numbers for the 3-series. Check http://www.realoem.com/ for your 2-series.

You'll also need an ENET adapter (eBay) and eSys software (coding forums). Good luck!

Can I do the coding with the OBDII adapter and bimmercode? I know I have seen a majority of the entries listed needing to be coded under the advanced settings while making other changes.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 06:29 AM   #296
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Can I do the coding with the OBDII adapter and bimmercode? I know I have seen a majority of the entries listed needing to be coded under the advanced settings while making other changes.
A couple of folks have done it, so yes, you can try it and if things go wrong, you'll need to use eSys.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 12:21 AM   #297
clusterpfaft
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 320i

Issue upgrading to 8.8

Sorry to keep this thread alive and kicking, but i recently purchased the 8.8", with the product no. for pre LCI screen, as i have pre LCI F31, with 6.5" screen, and HU_ENTRYNAV. I had the screen installed and coded by a mechanic here in Adelaide, South Australia, followed the codes on this page and found that the resolution altered, but the screen itself would only display a reduced amount. Refer photos attached. He thinks the screen is faulty, but wondered if anyone had encountered this same issue, if maybe there was another code that needed adjusting, or if in fact it is a faulty screen. The spare parts place that i bought the screen off deny it is faulty, and are now saying its not compatible with my vehicle, after i provided them my VIN.

Appreciate any comments or suggestions, i thought this was going to be failsafe as i ticked all the boxes. Even avoided coding myself, thought id find a professional!

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #298
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow, that's strange! Haven't heard of this problem before... IMHO the screen is faulty and I suggest you try connect it to a car that has pro nav to prove it.

Have you double-checked that you have HU_ENTRYNAV head unit (seen in eSys as module) and that you coded the "display_variante" setting to "breites_display"?

EDIT: Here are the exact options you need to code:

EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE -> "breites_display"
EXBOX > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION > "8.8_1280x480"
(the second option should not be necessary - my car had "10.25_1280x480" as the default set for a 6.5" screen and it worked)

Last edited by MarkoSK; 11-26-2018 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #299
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It should work - some users used BimmerCode successfully.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #300
clusterpfaft
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that's strange! Haven't heard of this problem before... IMHO the screen is faulty and I suggest you try connect it to a car that has pro nav to prove it.

Have you double-checked that you have HU_ENTRYNAV head unit (seen in eSys as module) and that you coded the "display_variante" setting to "breites_display"?

EDIT: Here are the exact options you need to code:

EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE -> "breites_display"
EXBOX > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION > "8.8_1280x480"
(the second option should not be necessary - my car had "10.25_1280x480" as the default set for a 6.5" screen and it worked)
Yep, i haven't seen anyone else with the same problem. Yes the coding was all done as above, only difference was i saw most coding reference NBT>EXBOX etc, but mine was not NBT? However was definately HU_ENTRYNAV.
The coding software used was not esys, it was another software that my mechanic had which i assumed was far more advanced, he hadnt used esys before. Could this have been the issue?
That was my next step was to try find another F30 with the larger screen installed to do a straight swap and see what happened.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 04:29 PM   #301
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterpfaft View Post
Yep, i haven't seen anyone else with the same problem. Yes the coding was all done as above, only difference was i saw most coding reference NBT>EXBOX etc, but mine was not NBT? However was definately HU_ENTRYNAV.
The coding software used was not esys, it was another software that my mechanic had which i assumed was far more advanced, he hadnt used esys before. Could this have been the issue?
That was my next step was to try find another F30 with the larger screen installed to do a straight swap and see what happened.
Ignore NBT in the coding references, HU_ENTRYNAV has these parameters in HU_ENTRYNAV.

I think the software wasn't an issue - if the values hadn't been coded correctly, the screen would be either black or would show "NO VIDEO". It won't hurt to double-check, though .

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 09:11 PM   #302
clusterpfaft
Registered
Rep

UPDATE: I remembered that when i was able to toggle split screen, i could see that the point in which the display ceased, was actually the line of the split screen....is there potential for another code that would be impacting on the visibility of this side of the screen? or would a split screen setting be preventing that side from displaying?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #303
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE: I remembered that when i was able to toggle split screen, i could see that the point in which the display ceased, was actually the line of the split screen....is there potential for another code that would be impacting on the visibility of this side of the screen? or would a split screen setting be preventing that side from displaying?
You can try to toggle splitscreen on and off, but it should not make the right part blank.

Plus there's a difference between a black screen and a completely blank screen - the display emits a little light when displaying black, so take a good look at the right part of the screen when turned on and when the car is off and locked. If there's no difference, then you have a dead part of the screen (hardware issue).
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 06:06 PM   #304
clusterpfaft
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruunneerr View Post
Just a quick update to say the 8.8" screen is now working, thanks to both yourself and Shawn.

I was able to resolve the issue by coding first the screen res to 10.25 as per MarkoSK advised and then did another code for the Screen_Variante (split screen) after connecting the new screen which coded correctly.

So for me the issue was doing both changes at the same time and then FDL coding to the car.

Thanks again for the help on here.
Marko, is this potentially something that is causing my issue? Is this Screen_Variante (split screen) different to the Display_Variente = breites_display? If so im wondering what needs to be selected for this? Also, is there an order that things should be coded? I think we coded breites display first, and then changed the resolution. Sorry to keep busting you on this
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #305
MarkoSK
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Marko, is this potentially something that is causing my issue? Is this Screen_Variante (split screen) different to the Display_Variente = breites_display? If so im wondering what needs to be selected for this? Also, is there an order that things should be coded? I think we coded breites display first, and then changed the resolution. Sorry to keep busting you on this
I think rruunneerr's problem was that he got errors during coding. He solved it by coding the values one-by-one, not at the same time. However people coded them both and had no problems.

I don't know what he meant by "Screen_Variante (split screen)" and honestly didn't try to find out since he had solved the problem . I guess he meant DISPLAY_VARIANTE, because AFAIK there's no SCREEN_VARIANTE setting in HU_ENTRYNAV.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #306
Guerillah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' F30 335xi AW MSport Stg 2

Hey all, I'm selling my 8.8 head unit (pn# 65509292248) if anyone wants it. PM me.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 08:57 AM   #307
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

Thought I read somewhere on the forum or an answer that the 6.5 entrynav system does not show anything in 3D. Wasn’t too disappointed about it.

Fast forward several weeks later and I’m driving through the city..

Can’t see how this could be different to any pro nav 3D, but there’s some sort of 3D rendering going on.

Just a heads up..
Appreciate 1
MarkoSK121.50
      12-05-2018, 10:07 AM   #308
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
I changed mine and used bimmercode it was a simple task but I was told to do the breites then come out of bimmercode then go back in and change screen resolution, I too have entry nav and normally if you get it wrong you will see nothing on the display as your displaying the screen it shows the signal is there so some settings are wrong.
Appreciate 0