F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > [SOLVED] Engine won't start after reconnecting DME
ARMA SPEED

03-09-2024, 11:39 AM   #1
AnimatedDriver
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330i

[SOLVED] Engine won't start after reconnecting DME

2017 B48

Prior to removing the DME and Power Distribution modules, engine started up just fine. They were disconnected for approx 15 hours while I replaced the Oil Filter Housing. After reconnecting everything that was disconnected along the way as well as charging the battery and attempting to jump start the engine, I'm out of ideas. You can definitely hear the starter trying to turn the engine over, but no joy. I disconnected the battery before I started the repair to avoid shorting anything out. After clearing the fault codes, the only notable/persistent ones were related to the DME. I've attached a screen shot of it.

I've tried:
...clearing fault codes
...re-seating the DME/Power Distribution connectors
...jump starting

Is it possible I managed to short something?
Can I crank the engine by hand?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 02:03 PM   #2
AnimatedDriver
Driver
United_States
Rep

Hypothetically speaking:

Let’s say a fully functional car is dropped off to have its failed Oil Filter Housing replaced. Of course that means the engine fires up every time without fail or hesitation. Subsequently, the car’s battery is disconnected followed by the removal of Intake Plenum, DME/ECU, and Power Distribution providing ample space to replace the OFH. Once the replacement is installed, everything is put back together in the reverse order. Now the engine cranks, but won’t run.

Battery has been checked; it’s good.
Fault codes reviewed for signs of fault.
Engine jump start attempted; failed.

Now what??
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 06:32 PM   #3
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Something isn't plugged in correctly, at the IVM. I would double check your plugs as well as the DME too
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2024, 09:08 PM   #4
AnimatedDriver
Driver
United_States
Rep

Yup! Re-seated the connections for the DME and Power Distribution again and she fired right up. Must be some kind of law out there that nothing will work until you ask someone else about it 😂

The final clue I personally had just before a successful startup was the Drivetrain fault no longer appearing in iDrive when turning the ignition on. Cleared the fault codes again and now they haven’t come back.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0