F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oil leak near oil cap
Extreme Powerhouse

07-29-2021, 04:23 PM   #1
cspinnnn
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Xdrive Sportline

Hey everyone,

I was hoping someone in the forum can help out. Im having some oil leak issues mostly focused around the oil cap. I first noticed it yesterday after I got off the Highway. While sitting at a red light a whole bunch of burnt oil smoke came through my air vents & out through the hood.

I got my timing chain done along with gaskets done 3 days ago so I immediately called the shop I did it at & told them about all this oil. They told me to come in and have them look at it asap.

they took about 2 hours to diagnose, they found no cracks in the valve cover & decided it was a faulty oil cap. I replaced the oil cap yesterday & cleaned off all oil residue but I'm noticing the leak is still present.

I was wondering if anyone on here had an issue like this & what was their fix. I really don't think it's the valve cover since the oil leak is so focused just around the oil cap but I could be wrong.

I'll attach some photos and see what everyone thinks

The first two photos are from yesterday before I changed the oil cap & the last 2 are from today with the new oil cap
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 05:13 PM   #2
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330

Manage to find the issue?

I get oil the manages to get past the oil cap and it's been replaced, but mine ends up in the groove that channels it down to the valve cover then the side of the engine. Nothing like yours though.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 07:15 PM   #3
cspinnnn
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Xdrive Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG330 View Post

I get oil the manages to get past the oil cap and it's been replaced, but mine ends up in the groove that channels it down to the valve cover then the side of the engine. Nothing like yours though.
Hey i'm so sorry, i haven't been active on here for quite some time. I did end up changing the valve cover which fixed the problem.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 12:04 PM   #4
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspinnnn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG330 View Post

Hey i'm so sorry, i haven't been active on here for quite some time. I did end up changing the valve cover which fixed the problem.

Hope this helps!
Cheers for a response, likely the crankcase breather must have gone on yours to cause over oil pressure?

Did you ever check the rubber diaphragm?
Appreciate 0