F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 3 series sedan or 4 series GC?
GetBMWParts

03-07-2015, 09:33 AM   #23
joewalton
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznjayenyce View Post

Where as for the 3 series it just has more head room compared to the 4 and it looks more masculine?

First, the 3 is taller and narrower. If that's your thing, go for it. Most like to slam their cars, they pay extra to have them lowered and fitted with plastic that make them look wider. Pay attention to the B pillar and look at the height of the windows in the GIF above.

Next, since you're going M-Sport you need to understand the differences in the front end between the 3 Series M-Sport (looks like an old 3 Series with the swoopy jaw) and the 4 Series M-Sport (looks like an M4 with the boxed compartments).

I've owned both cars, they are both awesome, it boils down to a more aggressive look (4) and more exclusivity (4) vs. better passenger comfort (3) and a lower price (3).
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #24
geoff7877
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
If you aren't packing the car with people and stuff, 4GC. No brainer.

We cross-shopped it with the F31 for a hot second, but we have a baby still in a rear facing seat and a dog. Getting in and out of that back seat wasn't much better than a regular 2 door coupe, and that boot was barely useable beyond the sedan boot, at least to us.

Personally though, I agree with above. The 3 looks more masculine to me. The 4 looks effete. But that's just me.
Check out a 4GC M Sport. Bad ass...

I like the 4 series in general over the 3 in every model. I was going to get a 3 until the 4 was released. I love the 3, fell in love with the 4. Now I have a 12 hour old 428i coupe! I did strongly consider the 4 GC but didn't need a sedan and wanted the 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 10:03 AM   #25
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb

We cross-shopped it with the F31 for a hot second, but we have a baby still in a rear facing seat and a dog. Getting in and out of that back seat wasn't much better than a regular 2 door coupe, and that boot was barely useable beyond the sedan boot, at least to us.

Personally though, I agree with above. The 3 looks more masculine to me. The 4 looks effete. But that's just me.
Disagree on the boot. Because of the hatchback opening in the 4GC the space is much more usable, plus it's nice to have the electric closer.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 10:04 AM   #26
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewalton
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznjayenyce View Post
price aside just purely on esthetic
i know that both of these cars are the same car, but the minor features that the 4 series

such as the frame-less windows and the air vent on the side along with the sporty front bumper lol i know i sound like a little kid in a candy store who can't make up his mind. This is a car that i am going to have for quite some time and its a big step anyway still in a dilemma
First off, welcome aboard.

If you care about drop-dead good looks, get the 4.

If you care about practicality, get the 3.

Are you getting the M Sport package? If so, you definitely want the 4 Series. I will explain why depending on your response.
Irrespective of the OP response, I'd like to know your thoughts on differences between the M-Sport packages of the 3 vs. 4.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #27
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb

Disagree on the boot. Because of the hatchback opening in the 4GC the space is much more usable, plus it's nice to have the electric closer.
I'm comparing it to the F31 boot, sorry. Didn't mean sedan.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 11:06 AM   #28
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
Irrespective of the OP response, I'd like to know your thoughts on differences between the M-Sport packages of the 3 vs. 4.

The primary difference between the 3 Series M-Sport and the 4 Series M-Sport is the design of the front fascia. If you look at the image above, the E90 is the top row, the F3X is the bottom row.

The design signature of the last-gen E90 LCI was a "U" shape or "swoopy jaw" that ran under each headlight, through the front bumper, and down below the lower air duct. I can post another pic if unclear, but it's there on the top left. Let your eye flow from the flat area under the headlight, how it curves down below the front duct, and then back up and under the other headlight in a "U" shape.

This swoopy jaw also was pretty prominent on the E90 M-Sport LCI as well, that's the photo upper right. Looked too similar to the base LCI, I was disappointed back then.

What I did not like about the F30 M-Sport when it was first released two years ago was that it again looked way to similar to the E90 LCI in both the base an M-Sport configurations. Same "U" shaped swoopy jaw. I chose a Luxury line because it's new front fascia was very different than the E90's I'd spend 7 years in.

What got me very excited about the 4 Series M-Sport is that it was a big departure from the "U" shaped design language and instead picked up on the new M4 which had what I call a "boxed" front design, the upper 50% and the lower 50% almost mirror each other, no swoopy jaw from the headlights down to the lower duct, instead the front bumper is a hard divider.

Having been in 3 different E9X's over the course of 7 years, I was done with that car, really wanted something fresh and new. So for those in E90's and then into F30 M-Sport's, one of the big advantages of jumping over to the F36 Gran Coupe is that (among other things) there is no confusing the front of the car with the older E90 bodystyle or the F30 bodystyle if you go Gran Coupe M-Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #29
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I like the GC better

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #30
sr5959
Captain
Rep

Ok guess I am biased because I just switched from an F30 to the GC, but honestly I've had this car one week and I'm blown away by how good it looks in Mineral Grey with M-Sport. Very happy I made the switch, and for me it's much more practical too as I don't use the rear seats much, but use the trunk a lot.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #31
sr5959
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959
Ok guess I am biased because I just switched from an F30 to the GC, but honestly I've had this car one week and I'm blown away by how good it looks in Mineral Grey with M-Sport. Very happy I made the switch, and for me it's much more practical too as I don't use the rear seats much, but use the trunk a lot.
Here's a pic...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #32
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:

Agree. Besides the functionality for rear passengers; I thought the 3 looks more of a car for me.. and the GC was more feminine. No offense to F36 owners. It's a great car. You can't go wrong either way.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 01:28 PM   #33
sr5959
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79
Quote:

Agree. Besides the functionality for rear passengers; I thought the 3 looks more of a car for me.. and the GC was more feminine. No offense to F36 owners. It's a great car. You can't go wrong either way.
Agree you can't go wrong with either, I think the F30 is a very classic design with some really nice subtle elements. I think it will age very well.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 02:17 PM   #34
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Sorry, but the 4GC is hardly in "exclusivity" territory. More rare, for now, sure. But, remember, it's been out a lot less time, so that will change. I see plenty of them where I live.

I wouldn't factor that in at all, to be honest, unless you're only concerned with that feeling for a year or so more. The 3 and 4 are far from the price point that brings any sort of rarity or exclusivity. Beyond that, it's not much more than a 3. So even if you live somewhere where $50K is still a lot to spend on a car, it won't be long before there are almost as many 4GC's as 3's.. At least way too close of a ratio to feel that they're rare. They also look far too similar for that anyway, honestly.

I would just decide which you like better on looks, driving, shape/space and forget the rareness as a factor. Just my humble opinion...
I agree with your point of view on exclusivity when it comes to enthusiasts- if BMW forums are any indication, there are more Gran Coupes being bought right now than Sedans.

However, when talking about the general population, the GC will maintain its exclusivity because most typical Sedan owners strolling into a showroom wouldn't want a car that comparatively:

1. Is very low.
2. Is very wide.
3. Has rear door openings that are small.
4. Has compromised rear seating.
5. Has lower visibility.
6. Is more expensive.

The liftgate is an awesome win over the Sedan, but for a typical Sedan buyer its not enough to overcome these others drawbacks.

When compared to a two-door Coupe, the GC is very practical. When compared to a four-door Sedan, the GC is decidedly impractical. More money, more compromises, just for the sake of physical appearance. And that's what's so cool about the Gran Coupe to its owners. Driving one, we are saying to the world "yeah, it just looks too good to pass up".
Well said and agreed. Except on #2, its what, half an inch wider? Not exactly what I would call very wide and still pretty narrow compared to a 5 or 6, etc.

What I meant to convey is it won't be rare at all, just less common than a very common car. More rare when compared to a 3, yes, absolutely. More buyers will choose a 3 for sure, especially since a 320 can be had even cheaper. But there will still be plenty of 4GC's (and already are where I live) to keep them from anything close to rare. Less common, absolutely. But not rare. I was also trying to convey that even if the goal is "rare compared to a 3," the difference visually is far too negligible to stand out the way one considering it rare would want...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 04:25 PM   #35
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Well said and agreed. Except on #2, its what, half an inch wider? Not exactly what I would call very wide and still pretty narrow compared to a 5 or 6, etc.

What I meant to convey is it won't be rare at all, just less common than a very common car. More rare when compared to a 3, yes, absolutely. More buyers will choose a 3 for sure, especially since a 320 can be had even cheaper. But there will still be plenty of 4GC's (and already are where I live) to keep them from anything close to rare. Less common, absolutely. But not rare. I was also trying to convey that even if the goal is "rare compared to a 3," the difference visually is far too negligible to stand out the way one considering it rare would want...
Good post, agreed.

While the GC is only slightly wider than the Sedan, BMW sculpted and designed the 4 Series to look more aggressive, lower, and wider too, it's well publicized.

I live in Bergen County NJ a mere 4 miles from BMW's corporate headquarters and I must see 30 3 Series a day, maybe 1 Coupe and 1 Convertible a day, I'll see 2 6 Series a day, I still haven't spotted a single other Gran Coupe except my own. In fact, when I cruise about town I get stares, brake lights in the opposite lane, I've had people take photos of my car, it's like I'm driving a unicorn. And while this may change in a year, for now it's a very cool feeling and something you just can't get in 3 Series land anymore- a feeling of exclusivity.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #36
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good post, agreed.

While the GC is only slightly wider than the Sedan, BMW sculpted and designed the 4 Series to look more aggressive, lower, and wider too, it's well publicized.

I live in Bergen County NJ a mere 4 miles from BMW's corporate headquarters and I must see 30 3 Series a day, maybe 1 Coupe and 1 Convertible a day, I'll see 2 6 Series a day, I still haven't spotted a single other Gran Coupe except my own. In fact, when I cruise about town I get stares, brake lights in the opposite lane, I've had people take photos of my car, it's like I'm driving a unicorn. And while this may change in a year, for now it's a very cool feeling and something you just can't get in 3 Series land anymore- a feeling of exclusivity.
No, *my* car is a unicorn.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 2
      03-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #37
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good post, agreed.

Not sure what your proximity to BMW NA has to do with it, but I see 4 GC's by me literally every day, and no, not the same one repeatedly. Sorry, but they're just not different enough for anyone on here to believe that bystanders who don't know the car that well even have a clue a 4GC is any different from a 3. I get it, there's definitely a more aggressive stance. But these people you're driving by, 90% of them can't tell the difference because they simply don't care as much as we do.

Either way, rare and exclusive, while sometimes related, are not the same thing. Nothing that can be had with decent credit and $500/month is simply not exclusive, sorry. But hell, I guess if it makes you feel better to think so, by all means, enjoy
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #38
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what your proximity to BMW NA has to do with it, but I see 4 GC's by me literally every day, and no, not the same one repeatedly.
Proximity to BMWNA is that there are 1,500 BMW employees 4 miles away from me putting about 1,000 BMW's in the neighborhoods around me more than the typical neighborhood in America has. And despite this, I haven't yet seen another GC on the road and I drive a lot in this area.

Quote:
Sorry, but they're just not different enough for anyone on here to believe that bystanders who don't know the car that well even have a clue a 4GC is any different from a 3. I get it, there's definitely a more aggressive stance. But these people you're driving by, 90% of them can't tell the difference because they simply don't care as much as we do.
90% of those around my Gran Coupe have no clue what it is, but the 10% who do are absolutely going nuts over it. Four or five times a week I'm being stalked by F30's or E90's on the highway, I'm being asked questions in parking lots, or I'm noticing others eyeing my car when I'm getting coffee or lunch. I'm not making this up. Check out the posts from other Gran Coupe owners, the same thing is happening to them.

Quote:
Either way, rare and exclusive, while sometimes related, are not the same thing. Nothing that can be had with decent credit and $500/month is simply not exclusive, sorry. But hell, I guess if it makes you feel better to think so, by all means, enjoy
I respect your point of view, but right now a Gran Coupe is quite exclusive. If it wasn't, I'd be seeing dozens of them on the road each week here in NYC Metro and so far I've seen zero. Will that change in a year? Certainly. But for now it's a fun bonus atop a car that's already full of win, having driven 3 Series for over a decade now I forgot the thrill of driving something that no one else has seen and get excited about when they come across it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #39
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Where do you live? Let's get together, go for a ride, see whose unicorn generates the most fairy dust. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #40
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Where do you live? Let's get together, go for a ride, see whose unicorn generates the most fairy dust. LOL.
Manhattan <--> Bergen County

You'll see me around. Can't miss me.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #41
DocB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Do I detect sour grapes on this thread? The GC is far from feminine and is one of the best looking cars BMW makes. The hatch is way more functional then a trunk. Add the M package and the car is just badass.
2015 435 GC
2015 X1
2016 X1
2018 ///M2
2020 M340i
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #42
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I give up. Can someone else explain the difference between rare/uncommon and exclusive? Exclusive implies not just anyone CAN have one. Look, I like the 4GC. But whether a lot of people have them yet or not, anyone CAN. Great car. Not exclusive.

Sorry for the thread jack and soap box, just tired of people talking about BMW's like they're Ferrari's or Bugatti's. And I say this with 2 BMW's in my garage and plenty more to come. I'm just not delusional about how many of my neighbors have them too....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 11:00 PM   #43
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Do I detect sour grapes on this thread? The GC is far from feminine and is one of the best looking cars BMW makes. The hatch is way more functional then a trunk. Add the M package and the car is just badass.
Yes, it appears so.

Being honest, I can understand why some have a grudge. In a way its unfair of BMW to release what amounts to a better looking 3 Series four-door only a year or two after many committed to it. Imagine you saved your money, plunked down $50,000 and jumped in on a 2014 335i with a ton of options with the intent to keep it for 5+ years. You're thinking you're bullet proof, in the state-of-the-art best-in-class 10 Best award winner, no worries about obsolescence. Then, without warning, BMW announces a new car that looks better, isn't over-saturated, is a Series higher, and has some superior features and it's hits the road at the same moment the F30 goes CPO and falls off the 10 Best list.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 11:11 PM   #44
joewalton
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I give up. Can someone else explain the difference between rare/uncommon and exclusive? Exclusive implies not just anyone CAN have one. Look, I like the 4GC. But whether a lot of people have them yet or not, anyone CAN. Great car. Not exclusive.

Sorry for the thread jack and soap box, just tired of people talking about BMW's like they're Ferrari's or Bugatti's. And I say this with 2 BMW's in my garage and plenty more to come. I'm just not delusional about how many of my neighbors have them too....
I think we're using the same word differently. "Exclusive" comes from BMW's own definition of the 4 Series:

The "4" doesn't just mark the start of a new cycle, it represents the zenith of a development curve. BMW has given the new model its own individual character and a standalone design – and, in so doing, has turned "4" into segment shorthand for aesthetic and dynamic appeal. The latest addition to a nomenclature that sees BMW building on the fine tradition of its large BMW 6 Series and BMW 8 Series Coupes, the "4" stands for greater sportiness, greater exclusivity and even clearer differentiation from the BMW 3 Series range.

"Exclusivity" means there are 810,000 F30's on the road and there will only be 50,000 F36's on the road. "Exclusivity" has nothing to do with being a Bugatti or another exotic. It simply means "you're not just another person in a 3 Series"

The cars look quite different. That matters to some people who want more than EBII paint to differentiate themselves amongst all the 3 Series and 5 Series sedans on the road. Some want an entirely different car.

That's BMW's intent if you read the 4 Series press release.
Appreciate 0