F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Engine: please post your experience, including problems / resolutions
Extreme Powerhouse

09-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #463
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
The B58 has been a reliable motor thus far, even for those of us running tunes. I have no fear of running my motor in its tuned state. The turbo may give out a bit sooner, replace clutch faster, spark plugs, etc. But I don't think I'm going to send a rod through my block. The timing chain job does not require the engine to be removed. BMW makes special tools to fix the VANOS actuators and other timing components.
BMW disagrees with your statement if not via the lengthy list of B58 changes. TU1 is a new engine, let us not kid ourselves. the B58 has a high failure rate under load, and hence the very specific modifications touching on structural integrity, thermodynamics, etc. They got the original design wrong- except for those driving their saloon quietly. Either case TU58 is an exciting new engine. RIP B58 after 2 years..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #464
Musashi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownB58 View Post
I recently learned that my M240i will need a new engine. The only modification is a Dinan Stage 1 tune and the car has less than 20k miles. I noticed that the engine was running rough after I exited the highway and slowed to a stop at a stop sign. Shortly thereafter I got a drivetrain malfunction and CEL. I carefully drove the car home (about a mile or two). It seemed like the car was just misfiring so I assumed it was a spark plug, an injector or some other ignition or fuel issue or maybe at worst a head gasket. I had it towed to the dealer and they later informed me that I need a new engine. I was shocked. Up until this point the only issue I had was a new crank sensor, which I think was the subject of a recall (at the time this issue seemed significantly more serious and caused significant engine and drivetrain issues). The dealer was unable to say why I need a new engine at this time (seems like they are still looking into it), but one individual said they probably reached that conclusion after a compression test or finding metal in the oil.

I am certainly not a mechanic, but there seem to only be a few possibilities given the situation (i.e., car runs, seems to only be misfiring, and needs a new engine): (1) spun bearing, but I did not receive any oil pressure warning, (2) piston ring failure, (3) burned piston, or (4) a scored cylinder.

My dealer has submitted the claim to BMW, but no determination has been made yet. I also alerted Dinan in case BMW denies the warranty claim. Given the nature of the Dinan tune, it seems unlikely that it would cause any of the issues above, unless the knock sensor failed, but that would be a problem with or without the tune. Any similar experiences? Any thoughts or suggestions?
B58 was junk. fingers crossed you get the TU1..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #465
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
Quote:
The B58 has been a reliable motor thus far, even for those of us running tunes. I have no fear of running my motor in its tuned state. The turbo may give out a bit sooner, replace clutch faster, spark plugs, etc. But I don't think I'm going to send a rod through my block. The timing chain job does not require the engine to be removed. BMW makes special tools to fix the VANOS actuators and other timing components.
BMW disagrees with your statement if not via the lengthy list of B58 changes. TU1 is a new engine, let us not kid ourselves. the B58 has a high failure rate under load, and hence the very specific modifications touching on structural integrity, thermodynamics, etc. They got the original design wrong- except for those driving their saloon quietly. Either case TU58 is an exciting new engine. RIP B58 after 2 years..
Can you provide documentation on high failure rate under load? AFAIK, a lot of us here are pushing the motor and we've seen single-digit engine failures (2 or so?) Which is definitely something to be concerned about, but then there's guys who have been using JB4 and piggybacks since the day it came out with no motor issues.

I don't think there's enough info either way to determine the B58 is junk. It's still a relatively new engine. FWIW: both my local mechanic and dealership mechanic says they see very few B58 issues. But that could be due to how new it is. ����*♂️����*♂️
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2

Last edited by G.Newt; 09-05-2019 at 11:34 PM..
Appreciate 4
Solid67187.00
kern4174446.50
j1980mac262.50
B58togo808.50
      09-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #466
Solid67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive MP Edition

Quote:
Can you provide documentation on high failure rate under load? AFAIK, a lot of us here are pushing the motor and we've seen single-digit engine failures (2 or so?) Which is definitely something to be concerned about, but then there's guys who have been using JB4 and piggybacks since the day it came out with no motor issues.

I don't think there's enough info either way to determine the B58 is junk. It's still a relatively new engine. FWIW: both my local mechanic and dealership mechanic says they are very few B58 issues. But that could be due to how new it is. 🤷🏽*♂️🤷🏽*♂️
Musashi is just talking out his ass. High failure rate?!?!? please show us your info/data.
Appreciate 4
PURE340i104.00
kern4174446.50
j1980mac262.50
B58togo808.50
      09-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #467
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownB58 View Post
I recently learned that my M240i will need a new engine. The only modification is a Dinan Stage 1 tune and the car has less than 20k miles. I noticed that the engine was running rough after I exited the highway and slowed to a stop at a stop sign. Shortly thereafter I got a drivetrain malfunction and CEL. I carefully drove the car home (about a mile or two). It seemed like the car was just misfiring so I assumed it was a spark plug, an injector or some other ignition or fuel issue or maybe at worst a head gasket. I had it towed to the dealer and they later informed me that I need a new engine. I was shocked. Up until this point the only issue I had was a new crank sensor, which I think was the subject of a recall (at the time this issue seemed significantly more serious and caused significant engine and drivetrain issues). The dealer was unable to say why I need a new engine at this time (seems like they are still looking into it), but one individual said they probably reached that conclusion after a compression test or finding metal in the oil.

I am certainly not a mechanic, but there seem to only be a few possibilities given the situation (i.e., car runs, seems to only be misfiring, and needs a new engine): (1) spun bearing, but I did not receive any oil pressure warning, (2) piston ring failure, (3) burned piston, or (4) a scored cylinder.

My dealer has submitted the claim to BMW, but no determination has been made yet. I also alerted Dinan in case BMW denies the warranty claim. Given the nature of the Dinan tune, it seems unlikely that it would cause any of the issues above, unless the knock sensor failed, but that would be a problem with or without the tune. Any similar experiences? Any thoughts or suggestions?
B58 was junk. fingers crossed you get the TU1..
Quote:
Quote:
Do you have anything at all to backup this talk? also B58 has been around for more than 2 years.
      09-06-2019, 11:39 PM   #468
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

Let's not feed the troll...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:47 PM   #469
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' 340i xDrive M-Sport

Yeah Musashi you right... I went through six b58 engines on my 340i and Im only at 41k....

Dude I had a n52, n54 and n55.... the b58 has yet to see the dealer for an engine issue. I couldnt say the same for the other engines I had (all other engines (all under 50k) went for one issue or another to the dealer)

B58 is a beast, stop playing yourself thinking your n55 is more reliable... come back and talk after you get your rod bearings replaced or better yet a new engine like my 435i needed due to rod bearing failure at 44k (with 5k oil changes and no beating on the engine while cold).
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      09-07-2019, 03:34 AM   #470
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
Almost 2 years with 18k on my 2017 F32 440i. recently installed MPPSK and no issues apart from squeaky doors, which seem to have vanished!

Loving it!
Appreciate 1
drivef30111.00
      09-07-2019, 03:40 AM   #471
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivef30 View Post
Yeah Musashi you right... I went through six b58 engines on my 340i and Im only at 41k....

Dude I had a n52, n54 and n55.... the b58 has yet to see the dealer for an engine issue. I couldnt say the same for the other engines I had (all other engines (all under 50k) went for one issue or another to the dealer)

B58 is a beast, stop playing yourself thinking your n55 is more reliable... come back and talk after you get your rod bearings replaced or better yet a new engine like my 435i needed due to rod bearing failure at 44k (with 5k oil changes and no beating on the engine while cold).
Damn straight!
Appreciate 1
drivef30111.00
      09-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #472
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
where on earth did you get all those assumptions? where are all of the failures you're talking about? BMW wanted to make more power and reduce emissions, so they made design changes that increased fueling and engine efficiency. none of what's in the articles indicates that there's a reliability issue. it actually mirrors what most automakers are moving towards with turbo manifolds integrated into the head, more radiators, and higher flowing hpfps.
Musashi i asked you a simple question back in May and you continue to make these wild claims and disappear, even months later. idk if you got rolled up by a b58 car or you're truly that clueless, but either way stop spreading the misinformation. you sure love to respond directly to people until you're asked for proof.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
drivef30111.00
      09-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #473
PURE340i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i & 2011 335d

Quote:
Musashi i asked you a simple question back in May and you continue to make these wild claims and disappear, even months later. idk if you got rolled up by a b58 car or you're truly that clueless, but either way stop spreading the misinformation. you sure love to respond directly to people until you're asked for proof.
He probably got smashed by one pretty badly haha
Appreciate 3
kern4174446.50
BP3404.50
      09-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #474
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Musashi has no idea and is jealous.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      09-08-2019, 06:51 PM   #475
BP340
Rep
Drives: 2018 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURE340i View Post
This haha...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 07:41 AM   #476
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURE340i View Post
It pretty remarkable how badly the b58 with a small tune can smash the n54/55 with tons of mods.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 09:05 AM   #477
Musashi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

I don't think there's enough info either way to determine the B58 is junk. It's still a relatively new engine. FWIW: both my local mechanic and dealership mechanic says they see very few B58 issues. But that could be due to how new it is. ����*♂️����*♂️
Can you do your own research and apply empirical driven analytic thought to the technical updates? Because it is laid out barren for you.... Have you actually read the TU1 list of changes?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 09:10 AM   #478
Musashi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hey Troll, and troll is a good definition- you sound like someone lacking basic critical thinking, not to mention CLASS. unlike you, I have a life, a busy one, one that does not get bimmerpost notifications on my inbox. As for your May question, unsure what it was, or if it was worth a time to reply.

but if you think my piling up a Turabian referenced, peer to peer reviewed set of articles to answer you, you are out to lunch.

There have been ample reports on B58 engine replacement, VIN recalls, dully listed on several sources. DO YOUR OWN HOMEWORK.

two, you sound very limited in critical thinking- actually nil- when isted of answering an argument with COUNTER ARGUMENT, you divert to personalized attacks. Also known as ad hominems (and go research what ad hominem means). Not to mention, lack of class. You thus lack the mental, intellectual abilities to sustain an argument, or lack the class and skillset to pursue one.

And, evidently, lack the technical understanding of engine program development, as you still failed to understand what TU1 means to the B58. It is not my role to go into mechanical engineering 300 to explain to you the reasoning behind engine structural changes.

Go troll someone else.
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      09-15-2019, 04:00 PM   #479
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

Musashi, go back to making quality protein supplements.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 04:30 PM   #480
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Musashi is a sushi troll. We all know the problems with the B58. Coolant sometimes found to be low. That is it. He has 0 credibility.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 04:53 PM   #481
itsglen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
Musashi is a sushi troll. We all know the problems with the B58. Coolant sometimes found to be low. That is it. He has 0 credibility.
true but she is funny and amusing...kinda a B58 hating mascot. I mean no one takes her serious (the joke is she thinks someone is as she types away shhhh don't tell her) - we should find a costume for her to wear as our anti-b58 mascot

I for one hope she keeps going it's funny

If I were the girl - I wouldn't reply to this post - let's see how fragile her ego is I mean how many paragraphs of crap is my post worth to her? (hope she doesn't take the easy way out and answer with only a couple words or sentences - I'm looking for paragraphs with words that she suggests I look up etc)

Last edited by itsglen; 09-15-2019 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 06:18 PM   #482
Musashi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Musashi has no idea and is jealous.
Now hold on your assumptions cowboy, jealous of WHAT? Let us recap my year thus far. Just back after the whole year spent in a hostile environment but extricating my team without casualties. Not all teams were as lucky. During a brief vacation in May, did ten hot laps on the 370mm 3D strand woven "3D" Carbon Ceramic Rotor disc project assisting a manufacturer's R&D for F30/Gx chassis. Gone to the other side (and often no contact with the outside world) back in time to see my daughter turn one. After a few days dedicated to the family, opened the data analytics files on the CCB testing. It is not just a question of thermal properties, coefficient of friction at varying temperatures, but also braking compounds, and deriving THE BEST user bedding in methodology, assuming an initial factory compound layer is deposited.

Conclusions? Got quite a few, including that this technology is ready for mass mainstream applications below 380mm, and should no longer be reserved for 410mm+ Porsche Lambo AM Ferrari types, which use chopped CCBs. 10 hot laps had no effect on it whatsoever. Strand woven carbon is absolutely superior to chopped CCB, going as low as -20C and no squealing. Does not boil, (not resin baked), retains consistency, and no thermal shock. Projected to last x3 to x4 longer than chopped CCBs, I finally cued in why Brembo is trying, but cannot acquire the patents from these select manufacturers of CCB 2.0.

Today did another day of testing, a more race oriented CCB friendly compound. I am sure you know that Pagid does not make RSC in D6109 shape and 114, wide pads, but got a similar compound done anyway. Either case, a 3700 lbs 3 series with a 370x30mm front rotor MUST dissipate many more kilojoules than a 3200lbs 911 with a 420mm front rotor disc. The disc and pad properties must account for a higher load, and higher operating temperature within non-race applications.

Used Dot 5 brake fluid for this.

Adding to the experiment the lighter Volk Ray's wheels (forged not cast, and 16Kg lighter), then 1200-4900 g for the rotor discs, 7.1 kgs less PER ROTOR), that is a combined 30kg less unsprung weight, or some 400lbs less sprung weight, and the 0.3 to 0.4s gain 0-60 on mass reduction alone without touching the MPPK. None of this, however, can attest as to the improvement in steering feel, due to the reduction in angular momentum, and thus lighter, more precise steering and front wheel response. 14kg/ 31 lbs reduction in rotor mass is transformative. I intend to do the same for a 911 specked without CCBs, nor do I intend to put the less effective Brembo ones. Gets cold in Sep, chopped CCBs squeal like a pig below 5C...

Now, of course not, it was not easy to convince a manufacturer that the 370-380mm range is the lion's share of Sports Luxury Vehicles out there- 3 years of Audi, BMW and Merc S class data convinced them. But it is impressive them allocating tens of thousands of $ to develop a bulletproof piece of kit that works perfectly on our cars, and make them so much more fun to drive.

When you read any of the above, let us see, be jealous of .... what? On a hot day on the savanna, the lion sits with its pride, does its things and the hyenas bark far away. The lion could not care less...
Attached Images

Last edited by Musashi; 09-15-2019 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
Mehim76.50
PURE340i104.00
      09-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #483
Musashi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Actually, you have ZERO credibility, due to the demonstrated inability to build a coherent argument. Personalized attacks make you look pathetic, and fail your whatever point you thought you had. All those science and engineering years come in handy thought, telling you, lol, can you even READ an engine spec? Like do you grasp the difference between forged and cast pistons and crankshaft? Can you even speculate on the structural integrity difference alone? No, I thought not. Better yet, have you FIGURED OUT why Munich DITCHED the cast B58 pistons and crankshaft for forged? This is normally reserved for racing application where premature failure is anticipated.

if anything, you come across as pathetically insecure about things you do not understand, and seek to self lick your bias ice cone lol..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 06:23 PM   #484
itsglen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Now hold on your assumptions cowboy, jealous of WHAT? Let us recap my year thus far. Just back after the whole year spent in a hostile environment but extricating my team without casualties. Not all teams were as lucky. During a brief vacation in May, did ten hot laps on the 370mm 3D strand woven "3D" Carbon Ceramic Rotor disc project assisting a manufacturer's R&D for F30/Gx chassis. Gone to the other side (and often no contact with the outside world) back in time to see my daughter turn one. After a few days dedicated to the family, opened the data analytics files on the CCB testing. It is not just a question of thermal properties, coefficient of friction at varying temperatures, but also braking compounds, and deriving THE BEST user bedding in methodology, assuming an initial factory compound layer is deposited.

Conclusions? Got quite a few, including that this technology is ready for mass mainstream applications below 380mm, and should no longer be reserved for 410mm+ Porsche Lambo AM Ferrari types, which use chopped CCBs. 10 hot laps had no effect on it whatsoever. Strand woven carbon is absolutely superior to chopped CCB, going as low as -20C and no squealing. Does not boil, (not resin baked), retains consistency, and no thermal shock. Projected to last x3 to x4 longer than chopped CCBs, I finally cued in why Brembo is trying, but cannot acquire the patents from these select manufacturers of CCB 2.0.

Today did another day of testing, a more race oriented CCB friendly compound. I am sure you know that Pagid does not make RSC in D6109 shape and 114, wide pads, but got a similar compound done anyway. Either case, a 3700 lbs 3 series with a 370x30mm front rotor set dissipates many more kilojoules than a 3200lbs 911 with a 420mm front rotor disc..

Adding to the experiment the lighter Volk Ray's wheels (forged not cast, and 16Kg lighter), then 1200-4900 g for the rotor discs, 7.1 kgs less PER ROTOR), that is a combined 30kg less unsprung weight, or some 400lbs less sprung weight, and the 0.3 to 0.4s gain 0-60 on mass reduction alone without touching the MPPK. None of this, however, can attest as to the improvement in steering feel, due to the reduction in angular momentum, and thus lighter, more precise steering and front wheel response. 14kg/ 31 lbs reduction in rotor mass is transformative. I intend to do the same for a 911 specked without CCBs, nor do I intend to put the less effective Brembo ones. Gets cold in Sep, chopped CCBs squeal like a pig below 5C...

Now, of course not, it was not easy to convince a manufacturer that the 370-380mm range is the lion's share of Sports Luxury Vehicles out there- 3 years of Audi, BMW and Merc S class data convinced them. But it is impressive them allocating tens of thousands of $ to develop a bulletproof piece of kit that works perfectly on our cars, and make them so much more fun to drive.

When you read any of the above, let us see, be jealous of .... what? On a hot day on the savanna, the lion sits with its pride, does its things and the hyenas bark far away. The lion could not care less...
Attached Images

Last edited by itsglen; 09-15-2019 at 06:30 PM..
Appreciate 0