F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Things that rub us enthusiasts the wrong way
proTUNING Freaks

04-23-2019, 06:20 AM   #67
PGJ328i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Probably my biggest are people who drive $50,000+ trucks and SUVs saying how overpriced BMWs are. There is this general misconception that BMWs are for elitists a-holes. It’s not my fault you spent a fortune to get a basic, no frills, gas-guzzling truck and I spent half of what you did and ended up with a sweet sports car. I used to have an F150 and spent some time on their forums. Man they love to bust on BMWs.
Appreciate 5
      04-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #68
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack10525 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanity View Post
speaking of slamming, trunk slam is also on this list
How is this possible? Isn't it motorized with the push of a button?
Not on all models; not on my 2017 440i convertible!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 07:16 AM   #69
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Door slamming is annoying, but it does no harm (normally), so I ignore that, but:

- getting in and out without any care, rubbing against the paint, bag and metal elements of clothing hitting everywhere, arghhhhhhhhhhh
- getting in and starting to adjust everything and push buttons - not your f****g car, moron! Behave or get out!
- Slamming the belt after releasing it
- Not having patience for me to pull the car out of a tight spot and sliding into the door by rubbing against the paint.

Never touch (or even less - hit/rub against) the paint!!
      04-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #70
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i (gold/cream)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Door slamming is annoying, but it does no harm (normally), so I ignore that, but:

- getting in and out without any care, rubbing against the paint, bag and metal elements of clothing hitting everywhere, arghhhhhhhhhhh
- getting in and starting to adjust everything and push buttons - not your f****g car, moron! Behave or get out!
- Not having patience for me to pull the car out of a tight spot and sliding into the door by rubbing against the paint.

You mean there are people actually rude enough to do this? When I climb into someone else's car, I assume he is the captain and makes the decisions for the vehicle. He may prove to be incompetent, in which case I probably won't ride with him again, but I'm not going to be what once was called a "back-seat driver," even though I'm sitting in the front.

I normally carry only one passenger, my lady friend Miss Linda, and she is very good about not fiddling with my car. (Two exceptions: Putting on the heated seat when the temp outside is high enough for the a/c, and taking my pencil tire gauge and twiddling it like a, well, a pencil. I can live with those.) So I'm not familiar with the vast run of morons out there, not inside my car anyway.

Last edited by Wolfus Aurelius; 04-23-2019 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #71
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series GT Stage 0.5

I find it funny that enthusiasts absolutely bow to BMW regarding their oil specification and in the same breath, trash BMW for their oil change interval.

I just find the irony to be funny.

podman
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 11:30 AM   #72
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
I find it funny that enthusiasts absolutely bow to BMW regarding their oil specification and in the same breath, trash BMW for their oil change interval.

podman
Possibly because we believe the engineers who designed the engines specified the oil to be used for engineering reasons; while BMW set a longer change interval so they would have to do fewer paid-maintenance oil changes before the cars go out of warranty, i.e., for economic reasons.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:55 AM   #73
outofphase
dad bod
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGJ328i View Post
Probably my biggest are people who drive $50,000+ trucks and SUVs saying how overpriced BMWs are. There is this general misconception that BMWs are for elitists a-holes. It’s not my fault you spent a fortune to get a basic, no frills, gas-guzzling truck and I spent half of what you did and ended up with a sweet sports car. I used to have an F150 and spent some time on their forums. Man they love to bust on BMWs.
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

It's also a double-edged sword, there have been several times since I got my BMW where I've heard people say comments like "damn, someone got a promotion" or "wow I didn't realize you were so successful" (mind you, I came from a loaded late model Infiniti -- another car that retailed for ~50k new but never got these comments before)

There's even been the rare occasion where someone will express jealously when they themselves drive a car that they spent the same or more on as mine -- I'll never forget when one of my friends (who drives an '18 320i) said, "man, yours is so much nicer than mine, how did you afford that"

Dude, I paid 10k less than you because I just bought a car that was 4 years old

Appreciate 3
      04-23-2019, 12:22 PM   #74
fallsguy84
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
Closing the door using a butt push...you know what I mean! One time, it caused a nice butt dent in the side of the door
Was their ass made of metal? Wtf...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #75
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfus Aurelius View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post

You mean there are people actually rude enough to do this? When I climb into someone else's car, I assume he is the captain and makes the decisions for the vehicle. He may prove to be incompetent, in which case I probably won't ride with him again, but I'm not going to be what once was called a "back-seat driver," even though I'm sitting in the front.

I normally carry only one passenger, my lady friend Miss Linda, and she is very good about not fiddling with my car. (Two exceptions: Putting on the heated seat when the temp outside is high enough for the a/c, and taking my pencil tire gauge and twiddling it like a pencil. I can live with those.) So I'm not familiar with the vast run of morons out there, not inside my car anyway.
Oh yes. I have a colleague of the "disaster" type who I avoid driving at all cost, but sometimes I am against the wall to do so...

And ironically he is also a BMW F3x driver and also he seems to like it, he just doesn't give a damn about anything.
He gets in the car with his laptop bag rubbing against everything. (If he has a suitcase with him he literally throws it in the trunk first, unless I put it in, which I insist on doing).
Then he starts adjusting the seat (even if just for a 5min ride). Then he mutes the audio (doesn't like music). It all ends with a smash of the belt and some more rubbing and kicking while exiting.

Needless to say his BMW interior is all scratched and horribly misused. 😬
      04-23-2019, 12:26 PM   #76
That340i
Im real pressed.
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i X-Drive

I don’t know if someone said this already but,
~ PEOPLE WHO PARK DIRECTLY BESIDE ME CAR WHEN THERE ARE 400 MILLION OTHER SPOTS OPEN
~ People who leave door dings
~ When someone rides in my car and spills food everywhere.
~ When people touch my car because once I parked at the mall and folded my mirrors before I exited but when I got back to my car someone took it upon themselves to MANUALLY fold my mirrors back out and that pissed me tf off.

I could careless about door slamming (because I do this myself and I don’t wash my car often so it’s barely ever clean.
Appreciate 3
      04-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #77
fallsguy84
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i M-sport

People who think it's okay to eat their fast-food and leave fucking crumbs everywhere. Like, clean up after yourself, Susan. I'm not your father.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #78
Wolfus Aurelius
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by That340i View Post
I don’t know if someone said this already but,
~ PEOPLE WHO PARK DIRECTLY BESIDE ME CAR WHEN THERE ARE 400 MILLION OTHER SPOTS OPEN
~ People who leave door dings
~ When someone rides in my car and spills food everywhere.
~ When people touch my car because once I parked at the mall and folded my mirrors before I exited but when I got back to my car someone took it upon themselves to MANUALLY fold my mirrors back out and that pissed me tf off.

. . .
+ 1. One reason I tend to park farther out from my destination than most people. Partly so I can get whatever shade there is (which ain't much, folks), but partly to avoid close parkers.

Does manually unfolding the mirrors harm the mechanism? I mean, if somebody did it once?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:22 PM   #79
That340i
Im real pressed.
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i X-Drive

Quote:
+ 1. One reason I tend to park farther out from my destination than most people. Partly so I can get whatever shade there is (which ain't much, folks), but partly to avoid close parkers.

Does manually unfolding the mirrors harm the mechanism? I mean, if somebody did it once?
I attempt to park far away but somehow some parks directly next to me.

I honestly don’t think it hurts the mechanism (it’s been done multiple times since then) but I had just gotten my mirrors replaced (due to a folding issue) and that fact that it was a complete stranger who had done so and I don’t know how much force they used when the unfolded the mirror, but even after my mirrors have been hit by basketballs I’d say that they could probably handle much more.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #80
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I long windy canyon road with no traffic but the car in front of you is going 20 mph, hard braking at even the slightest turn and NOT using the turnout when you clearly want to pass.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
Fuller1216.50
      04-23-2019, 01:27 PM   #81
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I honestly don’t think it hurts the mechanism (it’s been done multiple times since then) but I had just gotten my mirrors replaced (due to a folding issue) and that fact that it was a complete stranger who had done so and I don’t know how much force they used when the unfolded the mirror, but even after my mirrors have been hit by basketballs I’d say that they could probably handle much more.
Coincidentally, I like it when I park far and a nice car parks next to me. They are ensuring that the car next to me is clearly giving me enough room and they love their car as much as I do so they will make sure not to ding it! It's the nice car code of conduct. We park in packs and create a protective layer against random people who think other cars are there to rest their doors on as they climb out.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 4
rjd_F301999.50
That340i104.00
Swappy531.50
      04-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #82
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
That is like a force of nature. No matter how far corner I park when I get back it has pulled other cars next to it like a black hole. It helps a bit to park in the very last spot of a row, until someone scrapes it because of cutting the corner.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:39 PM   #83
Zanity
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post

podman
Not sure where you find it funny, it's 2 completely different things, oil spec is important for any performance turbo engine, following it religiously does no harm, only good. Oil change intervals from the manufacturer has the intention of making the car last until the day warranty is done. It's just common sense. Why do you think your windows get slower and slower with time ? None of this is news for anyone.

Last edited by Zanity; 04-23-2019 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #84
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

I should probably take it as a compliment but I've had two different people tell me they like my M4 (it's a 340?), and one of them was driving a 5er.
      04-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #85
PGJ328i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post

It's also a double-edged sword, there have been several times since I got my BMW where I've heard people say comments like "damn, someone got a promotion" or "wow I didn't realize you were so successful" (mind you, I came from a loaded late model Infiniti -- another car that retailed for ~50k new but never got these comments before)

There's even been the rare occasion where someone will express jealously when they themselves drive a car that they spent the same or more on as mine -- I'll never forget when one of my friends (who drives an '18 320i) said, "man, yours is so much nicer than mine, how did you afford that"

Yep, for some reason people think 3-Series BMWs are $80,000 cars. I had a 99 M3 convertible that I got in 2008. Paid like $12,000 for it...and friends thought I dropped a fortune. I remember actually telling one guy “dude, this car cost about half of what your truck cost”. They don’t realize that you can get a very nice BMW for the same price as a similar year and model Honda or Toyota.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #86
mikesx4911
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

- slamming the door (slams so hard I feel the car shake WTF)
- Sitting in the seats with shit in your pocket that can damage the seat
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #87
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
I should probably take it as a compliment but I've had two different people tell me they like my M4 (it's a 340?), and one of them was driving a 5er.
It still amazes me that the 3 and 4 series price ranges from $35k (F30 320i) to $115k (M3 CS) and $45k (420i GC) to $137k (M4 GTS). And most people can't tell the difference!

Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      04-23-2019, 05:57 PM   #88
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post

People just don't understand each of us has different priority. One of my seniors at work asked me how the hell can I afford a BMW, he makes 2x as much according to Glassdoor. Well, I don't care what brands I wear, I do groceries and bring lunch to work, and I only buy things at a reasonable price. No I didn't get my 435i at $61K MSRP, I got it 3 years later after it depreciated >50% with only 23K miles.

Just different philosophy in terms of living. For me, I just like cars. Yes BMW is a premium brand, but absolutely affordable if you understand the finances and have a solid income source. I am not saying not to buy it new, of course you should if it will not create financial stress; but if it will or you have other higher priorities, options are still out there.
Appreciate 1