F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > CA Manual 435i to NYC
proTUNING Freaks

06-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
yungkozi
Registered
Rep
Drives: E38 x2, E46, E53, E60, F32

Garage List
2014 435i  [0.00]
CA Manual 435i to NYC

Hi everyone,

I am very new to the forums so bare with me. I recently purchased a '14 f32 435i MT in California (car has been a CA car this whole time and never driven in snow). I might have a work opportunity to move to NYC so I wont necessarily need the car anymore so I'm considering selling the car and maybe even selling it on the East Coast since I know CA cars are a hot commodity due to not encountering snow/salt roads so less likely to have rust which is something East Coast people have to think about. If anyone has any tips, advice, suggestions, knowledge on this, please let me know.

Some Questions:
1. Do people pay more for CA cars on the East Coast?
2. Are there BMW enthusiast on the looking for a TRUE 6 speed manual transmission? (sorry dct/smg dont count)
3. What's the process of selling a CA car out of state?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #2
ndx6spd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i x

Is your work paying for your move? If not, I'd just sell it before moving.

I've lived in MI and CO (MI uses salt, CO uses salt in some, sand and gravel in most) and none of my cars developed a rust problem. Maybe it was a big issue with older cars, but I don't see it as a concern these days... especially not enough to pay a premium for a southern car.

So if you had this idea of taking the car to NY because you thought you could make some money, I'd think again and just sell it before moving. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Do a car value check with Edmonds or Kelly etc. using both your current location and NYC. That will tell you where to sell it. Not owning a car if you live in Manhattan makes sense, you don't want to park it on the street and a garage costs as much as an apartment does in most cities. If you live outside Manhattan having a car isn't a major necessity, but it's not the hassle that it is in Manhattan either.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

I'd try to sell it before moving. Leaving the car on the streets of NYC will be a disaster. Dings/key marks/scratches/you name it will happen before you know it and decrease the value of the car.

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I'd try to sell it before moving. Leaving the car on the streets of NYC will be a disaster. Dings/key marks/scratches/you name it will happen before you know it and decrease the value of the car.
100% will happen. It's just a matter of time. I'm moving into Manhattan this summer and my car will be living at the parents in CT.

Years ago I lived in Battery Park with a Mini Cooper. Even in arguably the best neighborhood with a small space friendly car it still got unattended scars and never ceased to be a pain in the ass.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

While on the subject it's pertinent to discuss whether or not to live in Manhattan. By and large unless you can find a place you can afford within walking distance of your job, don't.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #7
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
100% will happen. It's just a matter of time. I'm moving into Manhattan this summer and my car will be living at the parents in CT.

Years ago I lived in Battery Park with a Mini Cooper. Even in arguably the best neighborhood with a small space friendly car it still got unattended scars and never ceased to be a pain in the ass.
Mmhmm. All of the shit that happened to my car has been on the street. It was even PUSHED four feet by some drunk ass

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:25 AM   #8
eddymerckx3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive sport line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndx6spd View Post
So if you had this idea of taking the car to NY because you thought you could make some money, I'd think again and just sell it before moving. Good luck!
^^this^^

...also, I would argue that the BMW (and luxury car market in general) is soft in. NYC area given that dealers have hundreds of lease returns on their lot that they need to sell (that is how I got a great deal). The transiency of NYCs population coupled with the pain In the ass of owning a car (if u don’t have a garage) means most people are leasing cars as they can dump them more quickly when they leave NYC or realize there is no need to own car in the city. These and other factors lead to a great buyers market with some deals to be had.

Lastly, best thing to do is use the BMW CPO /used inventory page to do a search and compare ur local market to NYC market.

PS. ...also most people r seeking xdrive vehicles in NYC
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #9
_tlink
Guy with a car
Rep
Drives: 15' 435i Msport

As everyone else has stated sell in CA, you will not get a worth it premium selling here unfortunately. Your car is going to be tied to a specific market (6MT RWD) which isn't a premium more just a select group of enthusiasts which is a hit or miss depending how badly someone wants the car. People here have the best luck by returning close to stock and having xdrive as the main attraction. The CA market should eat up a good conditioned 435i 6MT RWD decently quick!
15' 435i BSM on CR // BM3 Stage 2 93 OTS // NGK Plugs Gapped 0.023" // VRSF Catless DP // CTS Turbo Intake, CP, FMIC // AWE Tuning w/ Perf. Midpipe // BC Racing BR Coilovers // Apex EC-7 // Michelin PS4S // Plus a shit load of carbon
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
yungkozi
Registered
Rep
Drives: E38 x2, E46, E53, E60, F32

Garage List
2014 435i  [0.00]
Thank you to everyone that responded. I appreciate the feedback. My main concern was not losing all my money on a car I barely had for a month given the fact that I financed the vehicle. I do agree that most people are into SUV/SAV’s these days. Esp with lambo, Bentley, RR, and so forth coming out with some as well.

As far as moving to nyc, I would be living with family and I’m pretty sure they live in Manhattan, if not, very close so a car really isn’t necessary. We shall see how everything plays out

I also considered keeping the car and just leaving it in CA for my dad to drive around in just so I can keep building my credit.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 01:59 PM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I've lived in Manhattan and Queens. No car necessary in Manhattan, mine was seldom used there, and only when going out of town, but I drove it everyday when in Queens. You need to find out where they live, where you're going to work, and factor that in before making any decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Do a car value check with Edmonds or Kelly etc. using both your current location and NYC. That will tell you where to sell it. Not owning a car if you live in Manhattan makes sense, you don't want to park it on the street and a garage costs as much as an apartment does in most cities. If you live outside Manhattan having a car isn't a major necessity, but it's not the hassle that it is in Manhattan either.
+1 When I graduated from law school and moved to NYC I sold my car and I didn't buy a new one until I moved out of the city. Too expensive and too much of a hassle to own a car in the city.

It gets even worse. I lived in Greenwich village and my wife and I would sometimes grab a cab to go uptown. Usually, by the time the cab had crawled to Herald Square we gave up, paid off the cab, and jumped in the subway or simply walked.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #13
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You can say that again. I lived on the UES for 15 years. Garage was $600 month, ridiculous.
      06-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I go to the city every spring to catch a Broadway show or two. I don't even bother with taking the subway anywhere less than 20 blocks away. The same thing when I go to Montreal in the summer, the car gets parked when I get to the city, doesn't get moved again until I leave.
Quote:
I lived on the UES for 15 years. Garage was $600 month
I had a 1 bedroom on 76th and Riverside for $225, parking $75 a month, in 1975. That apartment would be $4k a month now, parking $800.

Last edited by Billfitz; 06-13-2019 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0