F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Suspension questions
Extreme Powerhouse

03-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Suspension questions

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here and I just wanted to ask a few questions. Since i'm a beginner in these things.

After scrolling through the forums for months, I purchased Bilstein B6's for my car! Although, I'm not too sure if I made the right decision. That's why i'm making this post.

If the B6's really firm up the ride and remove the feeling of floating, then I was looking into dropping it moderately. Maybe using a Dinan or ACS springs to bring it down just a tad.
If I purchase springs, do I need a bump stop for them? I have a non adaptive / M-Suspension.

I used to own a E46 325ci w/ sports suspension, I miss the low center of gravity and the way it drove. It really was a fun car to drive. Would these changes to the suspension be anywhere close to it?

Also this is unrelated to suspension but, I'm due to get my tires changed out in a few months and i'm looking to get non-rft tires. Would you guys have any recommendations? My budget is around 100-130 per tire.

Oh last question, my car is currently CPO till September would doing any changes affect my warranty?

Thank you guys for taking the time to read this and any answers you may have!

Last edited by busterifle; 03-06-2018 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Welcome!

What's your budget for the suspension upgrade?

Since your vehicle does not have M Adaptive suspension, the more straightforward path towards improved suspension behavior is coilovers, for example KW Street Comfort or if you want both dampen / rebound controls there are other options. Mixing and matching springs and shocks can work but if you are not an expert, the labor expense of removing and installing different springs or shocks may not be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks!

Well my budget right now is probably 1-1.2k for suspension. The B6's cost me $800 so i'm looking to just get decent springs for the mean time.

I can't lower the car too much, because my dad will murder me. As odd as it sounds LOL. Which is why I was looking for a moderate drop, such as the ACS & Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #4
ChubbyWilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterifle View Post
Thanks!

Well my budget right now is probably 1-1.2k for suspension. The B6's cost me $800 so i'm looking to just get decent springs for the mean time.

I can't lower the car too much, because my dad will murder me. As odd as it sounds LOL. Which is why I was looking for a moderate drop, such as the ACS & Dinan.
If you're gonna lower the car, even if it's moderate, go with the Bilstein B8s. B6s are engineered for stock height while the B8s are engineered for lowered vehicles. You can still use the B6s with lowered suspension but don't expect it to last very long.

Here's my F30 on H&R Sport springs and Bilstein B8 shocks. Huge upgrade from stock M Sport suspension.

03-06-2018, 06:05 PM   #5
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyWilly View Post
If you're gonna lower the car, even if it's moderate, go with the Bilstein B8s. B6s are engineered for stock height while the B8s are engineered for lowered vehicles. You can still use the B6s with lowered suspension but don't expect it to last very long.

Here's my F30 on H&R Sport springs and Bilstein B8 shocks. Huge upgrade from stock M Sport suspension.

oooo I like! nice car! We have the same color

Okay, i'll give that one a thought. Although with that being said, would it be okay if I used B8's with stock springs for a while? I understand the stock springs aren't supposed to be used. But I would need some time to purchase the springs and save up some money.

The whole reason why i'm trying to do the whole thing, is to get rid of the floaty feeling and have better control of the car. I hate how it drives stock and I wanted to get it similar to my old E46.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 06:51 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You can use B6 shock absorbers with stock springs and this combination might be enough depending on your requirements. The "float" symptoms will be greatly reduced - perhaps even unnoticeable.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 09:30 PM   #7
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Oh really? That would be awesome! So should I just stick with the B6's I ordered?

Or should I just get B8's and run them with stock springs for the time being?

Also, the labor would be done by my dad and I so labor costs wouldn't be a factor.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 02:09 AM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

B8 shock absorbers are shorter than B6. Using B8 shock absorbers with stock springs may cause bump stops to be too short. But bumps stops are incorporated in the front B8 shock absorbers and cannot be swapped.

I suggest to use B6 shock absorbers with stock OEM springs.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2018, 02:21 AM   #9
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
B8 shock absorbers are shorter than B6. Using B8 shock absorbers with stock springs may cause bump stops to be too short. But bumps stops are incorporated in the front B8 shock absorbers and cannot be swapped.

I suggest to use B6 shock absorbers with stock OEM springs.
Thank you so much, I'm definitely sticking to my B6's with OEM springs. If anything if it's not enough i'll swap them out with B8's w/ springs later in the future.

You've been a ton of help
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Glad to help. Please update this thread after the installation of B6 shock absorbers.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2018, 10:05 PM   #11
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Yes sir!

At the current moment, I won't be getting those struts till April/May. So hopefully sometime after!

Is there anyway I can +Rep you guys?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Rep pints are always welcome. Just press Appreciate on any post you like.
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #13
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Rep pints are always welcome. Just press Appreciate on any post you like.
Thanks! I did

I do have one more question, when I replace my springs which should be in a year or so (64k miles) would I have to buy stock springs or are there springs that you would recommend with the B6?

Also, would the B6 help with body roll? Or would I need to lower the car for that?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #14
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If you plan to keep your car for a few more years, I would suggest to consider coilovers which do not necessarily have to be very expensive. B6 shocks work well with OEM springs but I haven't see any non OEM _non lowering_ springs which provide better response while maintaining OEM suspension height. H&R, Dinan, AC Schnitzer - all lower the vehicle.

Coilovers offer matched springs and shocks by design and problems with mismatched springs and shocks simply do not appear. The most common problem: stiffer lower springs with OEM softer shocks leading to bounce effect. The shock is not designed to manage the oscillation of a stiffer spring.

For every day driving, KW Street Comfort coilovers would be my recommendation. Body roll will disappear. My previous 335i sedan had KW Street Comfort coilovers.

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/street_comfort/

For even better performance and adjustability, Bilstein B16 PSS10 would be the second choice.

https://us.bilstein.com/en/product/bilstein-b16/
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #15
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you plan to keep your car for a few more years, I would suggest to consider coilovers which do not necessarily have to be very expensive. B6 shocks work well with OEM springs but I haven't see any non OEM _non lowering_ springs which provide better response while maintaining OEM suspension height. H&R, Dinan, AC Schnitzer - all lower the vehicle.

Coilovers offer matched springs and shocks by design and problems with mismatched springs and shocks simply do not appear. The most common problem: stiffer lower springs with OEM softer shocks leading to bounce effect. The shock is not designed to manage the oscillation of a stiffer spring.

For every day driving, KW Street Comfort coilovers would be my recommendation. Body roll will disappear. My previous 335i sedan had KW Street Comfort coilovers.

For even better performance and adjustability, Bilstein B16 PSS10 would be the second choice.

Thank you for the recommendations!

I took a look into it, but I’m thinking of staying with the B6. Because the delay in manufacturing. Are all bilsteins delayed as well?

I actually don’t mind lowering the car a tiny bit. So if that helps a tad!

The only reason why I’m hesitating is cause I can’t afford to put down 1.5k all together at the moment.

Also, are coil overs easier to install that just springs and struts? You’ve been a great help answering all of my questions!

Last edited by busterifle; 03-16-2018 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 12:06 AM   #16
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I don't mean to bring the question back up, but i'm having a last minute thought. I will be purchasing either a Dinan or AC Springs, but I just wanted to ask since i'm waiting for my B6's to ship.

Should I do a B6 + Dinan/ACS or B8 + ACS? I thought about the Coilovers, but it's a bit out of my range since I have to buy tires probably Comp 2 A/S's around Memorial Day. So i'll do the alignment and everything then.

Last edited by busterifle; 04-20-2018 at 12:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #17
js 84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320d

Hi I have Bilstein B6 on my car with stock springs. Had them for 12 months. The difference was significant. The floaty feeling was was almost gone. The car feels much more planted. The ride is stiffer but, to me it still comfortable. One of the best mods on my car.

I am will install Eibach springs next Monday. They have similar drop to ACS, but are slightly cheaper. I understand that ACS is also produced by Eibach. So you can consider Eibach springs instead of ACS. In one week I will be able to tell how is the ride with B6 and lowered springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #18
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by js 84 View Post
Hi I have Bilstein B6 on my car with stock springs. Had them for 12 months. The difference was significant. The floaty feeling was was almost gone. The car feels much more planted. The ride is stiffer but, to me it still comfortable. One of the best mods on my car.

I am will install Eibach springs next Monday. They have similar drop to ACS, but are slightly cheaper. I understand that ACS is also produced by Eibach. So you can consider Eibach springs instead of ACS. In one week I will be able to tell how is the ride with B6 and lowered springs.
Hey js! Yeah man, that would be awesome! If you don't mind me asking, could I see a photo of your gap with the B6 w/ stock springs? I was looking at the gap recently, and my back seems shorter than the front. Which is kind of odd, the shocks might be blown out? I'm not too sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #19
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Hello BMW Experts!

If you have stock suspension, a little but significant step up might be the factory option BMW M-sport or M-tech springs (whatever they now call them, they are like E46 sports) which lower the car less than 1/2" from bog stock. I now have these with Billies on my f30, and had similar on my E46 for years. If you like "slightly overdamped" like wot I do, this is a good combo.
IMHO, these M springs can do both Billie B6 & B8.

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 04-21-2018 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2018, 02:14 AM   #20
js 84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 2012 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterifle View Post
Quote:

Hey js! Yeah man, that would be awesome! If you don't mind me asking, could I see a photo of your gap with the B6 w/ stock springs? I was looking at the gap recently, and my back seems shorter than the front. Which is kind of odd, the shocks might be blown out? I'm not too sure.
With stock springs the gap in the back is also smaller than in the front. Here are the pics. Will see how the gap will change with Eibach springs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Fr3sh29.50
      04-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #21
busterifle
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Hello BMW Experts!

If you have stock suspension, a little but significant step up might be the factory option BMW M-sport or M-tech springs (whatever they now call them, they are like E46 sports) which lower the car less than 1/2" from bog stock. I now have these with Billies on my f30, and had similar on my E46 for years. If you like "slightly overdamped" like wot I do, this is a good combo.
IMHO, these M springs can do both Billie B6 & B8.

Murf
Hey Littlebear!

That's a great suggestion, if you don't mind me asking where would you find M-sport springs? I looked around and couldn't find any. But I do like the overdamped feeling, especially so I don't bottom out Also what kind of Bilstein's do you have on your F30?

But for now, I think i'm pretty set on the Dinan or ACS springs. I'm just patiently waiting for my B6's to ship!

Quote:
With stock springs the gap in the back is also smaller than in the front. Here are the pics. Will see how the gap will change with Eibach springs.
Thanks bud! Those rims look great
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 05:22 AM   #22
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Yo Buster!
I got my M-sport F30 springs from the classified adds here. $80. ~10k miles, very clean!
I ended up with B8 Billies all around. Next, in a few days I hope, I'll put in the M3 front lower lateral links, & have a shop put in an "M" rear sway bar (A crime BMW make this so hard).
'Cause it's driving season now!

Murf
Appreciate 0