F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Dinan springs and bump stops on F30 or F32 xDrive? Any long term experiences?
Studio RSR

06-05-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Dinan springs and bump stops on F30 or F32 xDrive? Any long term experiences?

I've read mixed reviews about this setup on xDrive.

chaungo mentioned he has had no problems whatsoever even after having springs+bumpstops+shockware for over a 100,000 kms (~62,100 miles) on his 335ix, no problems even in snow.

On the other hand zen0s mentioned the setup making the car bottom out occasionally, in his own words: "If you happen to hit a pot-hole, even a small one it feels like you just took a sludge hammer and smashed the front end".

I drive a 2016 435ix M Sport (no adaptive suspension) with 42k miles and considering lowering it using Dinan + bumpstops. I just want to get rid of the wheel gap and little bit of the floaty feeling which was way worse on my previous 2014 328ix Sportline. 435 ride is way firmer than 328, less body roll and feels more planted but there is still some of the body roll and the good old xDrive wheel gap

Is it worse on 4 series as the suspension is already stiffer than 3 series and springs results in an increased rate of suspension going bad/bottoming out/bad ride comfort?

Any suggestions from members who have had this setup for a while will be highly appreciated.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #2
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 6MT xDrive M-Adaptive

I installed the Dinan springs and bump stops on my '15 335ix and I really like the ride and look of the car now. It's been about 1,000 miles and my only gripe is the car "creeks" when pulling in or out of weird-angled driveways that kinda tweak the car, but that's more of a bmw issue than a spring issue.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I've had mine on for about 15,000 miles now on a 340ix with msport suspension. Overall been very happy. No bottoming out or harsh ride. It didn't completely get rid of the floaty feel but will soon be changing to a new shock setup. What tires are you using? After I got rid of the run flats it made more of a improvement in feel than the springs did
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkiledj View Post
I installed the Dinan springs and bump stops on my '15 335ix and I really like the ride and look of the car now. It's been about 1,000 miles and my only gripe is the car "creeks" when pulling in or out of weird-angled driveways that kinda tweak the car, but that's more of a bmw issue than a spring issue.
Was the creaking sound present even before you installed the springs? Also, at how many miles did you get them installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilki0101 View Post
I've had mine on for about 15,000 miles now on a 340ix with msport suspension. Overall been very happy. No bottoming out or harsh ride. It didn't completely get rid of the floaty feel but will soon be changing to a new shock setup. What tires are you using? After I got rid of the run flats it made more of a improvement in feel than the springs did
That sounds good, at how many miles did you get them installed? I'm on the stock wheels and tires right now, the crappy runflats, however, I've placed the order for Apex ARC-8 18x8.5 ET38 and MPSS 255/40 so should be a huge improvement in overall handling and feel. Each wheel is like 7.6lbs lighter than the stock 400M wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
pkiledj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 6MT xDrive M-Adaptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkiledj View Post
Was the creaking sound present even before you installed the springs? Also, at how many miles did you get them installed?

Quote:
That sounds good, at how many miles did you get them installed? I'm on the stock wheels and tires right now, the crappy runflats, however, I've placed the order for Apex ARC-8 18x8.5 ET38 and MPSS 255/40 so should be a huge improvement in overall handling and feel. Each wheel is like 7.6lbs lighter than the stock 400M wheel.
Installed at about 34k miles. Car creeked less before install. It's really a non-issue. It's not all that often that I find a driveway like that.

I concur about the run flats, I hated them, harsh ride. Replaced with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, much better.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

What's lacking in this setup that you are switching shocks? Or are they just due for replacement?
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #7
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Installed 2014 at approx 3,000 miles...right at 50,000 miles with ZERO issues

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #8
thisismikeyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII

Installed the springs and bump stops in May of 2014 after having 14k miles on the car. This made a huge difference in Germany. Way less body roll and just a better ride all around. Roads were smooth in Germany.

At around 32k miles I PCS'd back to the states and didn't have any issues at that time and didn't feel the need to install Shockware. I will say Maryland road are not the best, there's been a lot of road work around where I live, and I have hit a few pot holes were I have to wonder how the car didn't break anything.

At around 49k miles in early 2017 I had a bit more bounce in the suspension than I preferred. I know the 245/45 sidewall winter tires were not helping, but I was also noticing the bounce with my summer 245/40&275/35 run-flat tires as well. Certain undulations and dips in the road I would preemptively be switching to sport mode to get rid of rear end bounciness. I probably could have gone ahead and installed new rear dampers at this time, but I was hopeful Bilstein's Damptronics would be released soon..... I had Shockware installed as a stop gap to firmed the ride back up and all was good again.

At somewhere around 70k miles I started to wonder if Shockware was flashed over since comfort mode was getting bouncy at places and sport mode would firm everything back up. A quick detour to the original installing dealership confirmed Shockware was in fact still installed. I will be crossing 84k miles early next week, no real noticeable change in ride compliance since then.

Hopefully next weekend I will finally be upgrading to Bilstein B6 Damptronic's. I will be continuing to use the Dinan springs as I like the stance of the car, however I will be replacing the Dinan bump stops with the M3's at that time due to this thread:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1621134
2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII--M-Performance BBK/LSD/Aero--AA Signature Exhaust--Bilstein B6 DampTronic + Eibach Springs + H&R Swaybars + Millway Street Camber Plates + M3 Bump Stops + Dinan Shockware--Apex ARC-8 18x9.5et35+12mm Front Spacers w/Kumho Ecsta V730 275/35--FL-5/EC-7 18x8.5et35 w/Pilot Alpin PA4/Hakkapeliitta 10 Studded 245/45--BavSound Stage 1+Ghost Subs
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #9
Scarpia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

How would any of you compare these to a set of say BC coilovers?

Obviously you get more with the coilovers but they are also 1000 more than this spring set, I'm never doing any track day stuff, just want a little less roll and nicer cornering but nothing harsh.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
awilki0101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
What's lacking in this setup that you are switching shocks? Or are they just due for replacement?
Quote:
They are on 38,000 miles now. About due plus I just want a better ride. The edc isn't the best out there paired with aftermarket springs
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #11
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Thanks to all of you who contributed opinions to this thread. They are extremely useful to those of us who are considering suspension mods
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #12
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismikeyb View Post
Installed the springs and bump stops in May of 2014 after having 14k miles on the car. This made a huge difference in Germany. Way less body roll and just a better ride all around. Roads were smooth in Germany.

At around 32k miles I PCS'd back to the states and didn't have any issues at that time and didn't feel the need to install Shockware. I will say Maryland road are not the best, there's been a lot of road work around where I live, and I have hit a few pot holes were I have to wonder how the car didn't break anything.

At around 49k miles in early 2017 I had a bit more bounce in the suspension than I preferred. I know the 245/45 sidewall winter tires were not helping, but I was also noticing the bounce with my summer 245/40&275/35 run-flat tires as well. Certain undulations and dips in the road I would preemptively be switching to sport mode to get rid of rear end bounciness. I probably could have gone ahead and installed new rear dampers at this time, but I was hopeful Bilstein's Damptronics would be released soon..... I had Shockware installed as a stop gap to firmed the ride back up and all was good again.

At somewhere around 70k miles I started to wonder if Shockware was flashed over since comfort mode was getting bouncy at places and sport mode would firm everything back up. A quick detour to the original installing dealership confirmed Shockware was in fact still installed. I will be crossing 84k miles early next week, no real noticeable change in ride compliance since then.

Hopefully next weekend I will finally be upgrading to Bilstein B6 Damptronic's. I will be continuing to use the Dinan springs as I like the stance of the car, however I will be replacing the Dinan bump stops with the M3's at that time due to this thread:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1621134
So what I understand is that with more mileage the ride quality could get worse and would need new dampers?
As I'm already at 42k and roads here are bad so I should install the springs + bumpstops with new dampers?
I don't have adaptive suspension so shockware is out of the question.
Also, you only experienced the bounciness in comfort mode and no bottoming out in any mode? I mostly drive in Sport mode (90%)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #13
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
Installed 2014 at approx 3,000 miles...right at 50,000 miles with ZERO issues

xDrive or RWD?

Wondering if the experience is different with RWD as it already sits lower than xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #14
thisismikeyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII

Quote:
So what I understand is that with more mileage the ride quality could get worse and would need new dampers?
As I'm already at 42k and roads here are bad so I should install the springs + bumpstops with new dampers?
I don't have adaptive suspension so shockware is out of the question.
Also, you only experienced the bounciness in comfort mode and no bottoming out in any mode? I mostly drive in Sport mode (90%)
I would get new dampers since you are already at 42k or look into coilovers since you are already doing half the work with installing front springs anyways. I just held out this long due thinking for the past 3 years if I bought the OEM dampers again Bilstein would release their Damptronics and I would just be kicking myself at that point.

I don't believe the car has ever bottomed out, I will be able to find out more when I look at the bumpstops that are on the front of the car when I switch over to the B6's. What I will say is with the springs being about 30% stiffer, it will transfer more energy to the chassis of the car when you do hit a pot hole.
2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII--M-Performance BBK/LSD/Aero--AA Signature Exhaust--Bilstein B6 DampTronic + Eibach Springs + H&R Swaybars + Millway Street Camber Plates + M3 Bump Stops + Dinan Shockware--Apex ARC-8 18x9.5et35+12mm Front Spacers w/Kumho Ecsta V730 275/35--FL-5/EC-7 18x8.5et35 w/Pilot Alpin PA4/Hakkapeliitta 10 Studded 245/45--BavSound Stage 1+Ghost Subs
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:13 PM   #15
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
xDrive or RWD?

Wondering if the experience is different with RWD as it already sits lower than xDrive.

RWD

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0