F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cool find at Costco, BMW blind spot mirrors
Studio RSR

02-13-2020, 10:58 AM   #67
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAudi2BMW View Post

Just for reference, I watched the video and this is how I have generally adjusted my mirrors BTW.

I took pictures both ways. As you can see here, there is still a blind spot having the mirror out away from the car as he shows. This also does not take into account parking.

I do adjust the mirrors a bit differently than I used to because I have more than one view now. I personally really like that, but to each their own!
If you're talking about the white minivan, it's not in your blind spot. It should be right in your left eye's peripheral and like I noted in the last post, you should at least move your eyes to left to look out the left side window as you see the front bumper of the minivan then.

You're walking on egg shells if you're relying slowly on your mirrors when changing lanes. You still need to glance.
      02-13-2020, 12:25 PM   #68
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: drei BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
If you're talking about the white minivan, it's not in your blind spot. It should be right in your left eye's peripheral and like I noted in the last post, you should at least move your eyes to left to look out the left side window as you see the front bumper of the minivan then.

You're walking on egg shells if you're relying slowly on your mirrors when changing lanes. You still need to glance.
Again, untrue my friend! The white Honda van is 100% in my blind spot. That is why I took the pictures I did, with my mirrors positioned both ways.

In this picture, my car mirror is positioned 'subjectively correctly' out further and not seeing my car in the mirror. I have a 4 door sedan and in the extended view, you can see my rear bumper all the way until about 90% of the back passenger door (towards the driver door, but you don't see the driver door). This is the blind spot.

The peripheral would be at about my drivers front door handle, where I would see the van in my peripheral vision, or by glancing over to the side, but not turning my head to look behind. You do not see this peripheral area in the blind spot mirror. It is all the rear passenger door / prime blind spot area. In this situation if I was changing lanes without these mirrors, if I did not turn my head to look at the blind spot, I would hit them.

If the van was in my peripheral vision, the front end would be near me in the driver seat and you would see only the back section in the blind spot mirrors. In this picture, the entire van is behind me in the drivers seat and 100% in the blind spot.

With your method, which is also exactly how my mirrors are typically set, you do need to look as there are still blind spots. With the extended view added, there is no non-visible blind spot and I can safely change lanes with the mirrors.

You can clearly see how much more viewing angle there is with the added mirrors. The key is, these custom ones are not distorted and a very useable to make things out.

You should be able to also click the images and zoom in to look closer.

Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      02-20-2020, 03:21 PM   #69
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

As a 3 series owner I posted this here first, but the X2 loaner I had was hard to see out of, so I posted these to the X2 and X1 forums too.

Over 3,000 views here and myself and maybe one other are the only ones?!

Only a few hundred views over there and it seems like a bunch of members are using them now over there.

Anyone else here using and or enjoying these?!

From the X1/X2:

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1694538

Quote:
Originally Posted by //TMT View Post
Well I didn't wait - been looking for a decent rear visibility aid, and these sure fit the bill!

I ordered at noon (EST) on Friday, and got the shipping email just one hour later. With the holiday weekend, it arrived via USPS today.

These are quality units, nicely fitted and with thin bezels, plus the mirror itself is glass, not plastic. They have 3M tape to install, and the back is hollow so they'll fit tightly.

Totally two thumbs up. Only one thing - I can't install them due to the weather here! I'll need a dry warm-ish day. But here's a snapshot to admire in the meantime...

Attachment 2242485

BTW, it's pretty much impossible to take a photo of a convex mirror without getting yourself and your phone in the frame!

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1694820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
My first impressions below. Pictures attached taken from LHD driver's seat.

Quality and Design: For something so small and simple, it feels and looks well made. The convex mirror is glass, not plastic, so hopefully it'll be less prone to scratching. The thin bezel offsets it just enough so you know whether you're looking at the blindspot vs regular mirror with a quick glance. The backing is made of sturdy plastic. The 3M adhesive adhered to the main mirror well despite doing the install with the temp around 45 to 50 degrees farenheit (seller recommends installing when it's a bit warmer but I was eager to test them out).

The shape definitely gives it a custom feel and look as it follows the contours of the main mirror spot on. The area that it takes up on the main mirror is relatively small, so it's there when you need it, but doesnt obstruct your view when trying to park or just to see what's behind you. Yet it's big enough to serve the intended purpose of letting you know whether there's a car in your blindspot.

I do admit it'll take some getting used to as it feels a bit unnatural to look at 2 different mirrors, but I think I'll adjust quickly with some more seat time.

Cost and installation: As for cost, you get what you pay for. This isn't a generic stick on blindspot mirror, nor does it appear to be cheaply made. The shipping speed was quick (arrived in 2 business days) considering the order went from CA to NJ.

The installation instructions are thorough despite this being a very simple install. It tells you to clean the main mirror with IPA and to wait for warmer temps, which is good to know if you're not familiar with how adhesives may react to a dirty surface or cold weather.

One tip I would add is to get it aligned exactly the way you want before pressing it down. Dont install it flush against the main mirror's inner housing to avoid clearance problems. You want to avoid any rubbing issues if you ever need to adjust the mirrors to an extreme position.

tldr version: Great mirrors for the cost. High quality. Dont stick too close to the main mirror's inner lip to avoid rubbing problems.
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 03:38 PM   #70
Sinner328
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2016

I’ve ordered mine, will report after they get installed & tested.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #71
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

TL;dr I don't have a blind spot...I move both mirrors out about 5-10 degrees out, so when I lose a car in the rear center mirror, I pick them up in my side mirrors...and they stay there until they're side to side with me.

Adjust driver's mirror so you can see the side of car with your head against the window, and the pass side with your head moved to the right side of seat.

If you haven't put your blind spot mirrors yet, just try this. I'm old...learned this years ago.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 2
      02-20-2020, 09:41 PM   #72
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxdmax View Post
TL;dr I don't have a blind spot...I move both mirrors out about 5-10 degrees out, so when I lose a car in the rear center mirror, I pick them up in my side mirrors...and they stay there until they're side to side with me.

Adjust driver's mirror so you can see the side of car with your head against the window, and the pass side with your head moved to the right side of seat.

If you haven't put your blind spot mirrors yet, just try this. I'm old...learned this years ago.
I agree. If have any blind spot it is SMALLER then a car so I can still see the ass end of it in one mirror or another or by eye.
I sit so far back and so high in the car the worst blind spot I have is seeing the car (or pedestrians) to my right at a stop sign. Not going to get rid of my rear view mirror though, lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:58 AM   #73
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I don't have a blind spot..
I'd say you do, specifically the benefit of blind spot mirrors. If you don't think you need them here's what you do: Don't buy any! Those of us who do like them have just as much right to use them as you do not to.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:14 AM   #74
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I'd say you do, specifically the benefit of blind spot mirrors. If you don't think you need them here's what you do: Don't buy any! Those of us who do like them have just as much right to use them as you do not to.
Yes you do; but I really don't have a blind spot so would have no spot to put that mirror on. When I lose cars in the rear mirror, I get them in the side, and then I get them in my peripheral vision without having to move my head.

I didn't have one in my e46 nor with this 340i, but I don't know if they've changed the mirrors in f30 models or not.

I'd read about moving the mirrors out maybe 30 years ago, I think in Roundel.

Anyway, glad you don't have a blind spot. No one should.

dmax on FB

Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 09:00 AM   #75
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Bill: you’ve got an OP here who is hawking these things like he’s the one selling them, and they ruin 1/2 the most used and needed part of the mirror for regular use. every time this thread drops a little he’s back panting like a dog, who who who’s tried them? Who who who’s useing them? Here’s my same photoshopped pictures from the 7th time showing the benefits of them !
It comes off to me like someone pushing a product and in need of buying a vendor license.
Step back for a minute From the bullying and do some critical thinking.

I learned how to set up my Wing mirrors correctly 30 years ago in a Lincoln towncar, a Toyota RV, a Dodge ram with a camper shell, and an MGB. DMaxdmax technique is completely correct. if you scan with just your eyes your field of view is different than when you move your head.

If you like the BS mirrors I say get the asphericals because you can use the entire mirror then, but I sure wouldn’t ruin the outer and most used 1/2 of my mirror for a fall off stick-on. Nice item but... This entire thread reeks. let it die and fall off the page... or op can go take some real pictures.
Appreciate 1
FaRKle!4016.00
      02-21-2020, 09:19 AM   #76
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Bill: you’ve got an OP here who is hawking these things like he’s the one selling them, and they ruin 1/2 the most used and needed part of the mirror for regular use.
Read my post #2, way back on page 1 of this thread, where I linked the very reasonably priced alternative that I use. I use them because I like how they work. And to repeat, if you don't feel the need for blind spot mirrors, don't buy them. Those who do want to use them are entitled to recommendations from those who use them. The OPs status as a potential shill is a totally different matter.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:53 AM   #77
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

This product reminds me of those seat covers made of lots of 1" wood balls, popular with taxi drivers in the last century.
Most everyone has seen them, somebody likes them, but why would we have four pages of what is basically a sales pitch for either item?

Murf
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #78
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow.... someone is a little grumpy here!!

Please allow me to clarify a few things:

1) Onizukachan - you are a jerk and there is no reason for that.

2) My name is Phil and I am a retired. The owner of the company is Andy and he is a 30-something year old kid I met a few weeks ago. The only association we have is shopping at the local Costco. I am in NO WAY part of his company.

3) There are 100's if not thousands of threads / posts on here where people passionately talk about the mods they have made and products they use on their cars. After all, That is what forums are for... Why should this be any different? I guess according to your logic, I am also a shill for BMW, BM3, Ebay, AMAZON, BM3, Castrol, Chemical Guys, Meguires, Walmart Harbor Freight Tools, VW, Audi, GM, Costco, Frozen Yogurt, Bimmerpost, etc?!

4) I have no photoshopped anything.. Click on the pictures they are from my iphone X.

5) Forums can be a really powerful tool if people are reasonable and don't spread misinformation. Your claim that you set your mirrors right and have no blind spot is dead wrong. As I have posted before, beyond my BMW and Ram, I have owned many Audi cars, as well as Lexus, Infiniti, SAAB, Corvette C5, Ford Econoline Panel vans, Isuzu NPR box trucks with lift gates, etc. None of my vehicles have ever been free of blind spots without convex mirrors. I have been well aware of the SAE recommended way of setting mirrors for quite some time.

6) The extended view mirrors don't cover up the most important part of the mirror, they add a lot of extra visibility to it making it function a lot better. The bezel is razor thing and nothing is blocked.

7) I'm not on here telling anyone what to do, unlike some people... But I will say this: When I was not retired, I was a business owner myself. That is why I owned box trucks and vans for local deliveries. I am happy to support a local company like this doing it right any way I can. I know how hard it is, and I support someone working hard for us vs some Chinese factory pumping about zillions of plastic pieces of crap, ANY DAY OF THE WEEK, understood sir? Because everyone on here who has actually used the product, or dealt with the company has had nothing but positive things to say.

In fact, I sent him an email telling him I shared this stuff online and he was free to use my iPhone pics. I also told him I was loving the mirrors and I really hope they hold up.
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 12:56 PM   #79
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I will also add the following:

If I was simply a shill- I would have joined this forum when they started selling these in Late January. But I actually joined in June when I got my car.

I post in many threads daily about a number of topics not just this and over half my posts have reps.

-Phil
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #80
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
I am not a jerk. I’m simply honest. I realize that is passé in America these days, but hey, I like it.

Any more pages of responses about your B.S. Mirrors? I’m sure we all eagerly await a 9th repetition of the exact same information previously shared in the first post on the first page, Phil.
That’s why you come off as a shill, (your words not mine). It’s your behavior when you have nothing to contribute further to just try to restart the convo with the same fricken post over again.

The title isn’t even accurate, this isn’t a Costco item. While I am understand you wanting to help the kids business, he should promote it home self. He should have the right to succeed or fail based on his efforts, not yours as a rabid fanboi and self appointed marketing and advertising manager.

Any interest I had in remotely supporting the kids product though I don’t need it, because I don’t have a blind spot, has turned to rabid dislike strictly because of YOU.

And in all sincerity congrats on retirement. Best of luck finding a way to fill your time. I suggest model railroading, it’s a great hobby, lots of forums, lots of YouTube for you to enjoy. Also a great way to rapidly spend 5 grand $200 at a time, lol.

Edit: If you are ever in El Paso I’ll still buy you a cup of coffee!

Last edited by Onizukachan; 02-21-2020 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #81
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am not a jerk. I’m simply honest. I realize that is passé in America these days, but hey, I like it.

Any more pages of responses about your B.S. Mirrors? I’m sure we all eagerly await a 9th repetition of the exact same information previously shared in the first post on the first page, Phil.
That’s why you come off as a shill, (your words not mine). It’s your behavior when you have nothing to contribute further to just try to restart the convo with the same fricken post over again.

The title isn’t even accurate, this isn’t a Costco item. While I am understand you wanting to help the kids business, he should promote it home self. He should have the right to succeed or fail based on his efforts, not yours as a rabid fanboi and self appointed marketing and advertising manager.

Any interest I had in remotely supporting the kids product though I don’t need it, because I don’t have a blind spot, has turned to rabid dislike strictly because of YOU.

And in all sincerity congrats on retirement. Best of luck finding a way to fill your time. I suggest model railroading, it’s a great hobby, lots of forums, lots of YouTube for you to enjoy. Also a great way to rapidly spend 5 grand $200 at a time, lol.

Edit: If you are ever in El Paso I’ll still buy you a cup of coffee!
Why would I ever want to associate with a jerk like you in person, mr internet tough guy?

My BS mirrors? I live a few blocks from the beach in Southern California. I spend my time surfing and with family, thanks.

You accuse me of photoshopping pictures and lying to people, when you can click on the info on the flicker website. They were taken, posted and digitized at the same time. Straight from my phone, never edited.

You are not honest about anything...

I wasn't born and raised in CA. Where I come from people aren't internet tough guys. Wanna hear something honest. Instead of accusing me of untrue things, and disrespecting me for no reason, when I have done nothing wrong. Go F yourself pal...
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:03 PM   #82
Sinner328
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2016

Quote:
Maybe you’re not, but in this thread you surely sound a little bit like one with baseless personal accusations.

We all know you don’t like those mirrors add-on. Fine. Maybe some people in this forum dares to think differently from you (gasp!). So deal with it. That's all, just different opinions.

You think they’re a gimmick, a POC. I think F30 mirrors are too small and they could benefit with some extra surface. You’re not going to change your opinion. I’m not going to change mine.

So just let us go back driving or BMW’s, and put a smile on our faces because surely, without a doubt, we drive the best cars in the world.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #83
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
I retract my courtesy and niceness to you.
You have my sympathy for your illness, Recto-cranial inversion is not the easiest thing for those around you to love with I am sure.

Thanks for the laughs though, tough guy.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 06:55 PM   #84
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep

Now I'm optimistic that this thread could go on for 10 pages easy. Can we talk about the stupid sign reminding us that objects are closer than they appear? We all know that.

Also, the warning sign on the visor...has anyone found a way to remove that? Is it a decal? Has anyone tried soaking it with a towel with warm water on it? (I don't want to remove the visor, though it's simple enough to do.

dmax on FB

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:09 PM   #85
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Quote:
Now I'm optimistic that this thread could go on for 10 pages easy. Can we talk about the stupid sign reminding us that objects are closer than they appear? We all know that.

Also, the warning sign on the visor...has anyone found a way to remove that? Is it a decal? Has anyone tried soaking it with a towel with warm water on it? (I don't want to remove the visor, though it's simple enough to do.
I know right? What happened to common sense being common?

I’ve always thought it would be fun to put red and blue reflective vinyl over those warnings so you could flip the visors down to redirect slower traffic out of the fast lane. Kinda like putting a red or blue cozy on the dash if you had a crown Vic back in the 90’s...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:12 PM   #86
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner328 View Post
Maybe you’re not, but in this thread you surely sound a little bit like one with baseless personal accusations.

We all know you don’t like those mirrors add-on. Fine. Maybe some people in this forum dares to think differently from you (gasp!). So deal with it. That's all, just different opinions.

You think they’re a gimmick, a POC. I think F30 mirrors are too small and they could benefit with some extra surface. You’re not going to change your opinion. I’m not going to change mine.

So just let us go back driving or BMW’s, and put a smile on our faces because surely, without a doubt, we drive the best cars in the world.
I think that’s a wonderful idea.
They’re sure bigger than the mirrors on my square and aero body town cars ever were though.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:57 PM   #87
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I retract my courtesy and niceness to you.
You have my sympathy for your illness, Recto-cranial inversion is not the easiest thing for those around you to love with I am sure.

Thanks for the laughs though, tough guy.
I have never had anything to do with you on this forum, yet you come here and

1) Say untrue things about me for no reason

2) Disrespect me for no reason

3) Then ask me to come to some lame place to drink coffee with you?!

When I was much younger I was a Marine, but people don't tend to talk to me in person like you are from behind your keyboard sir. Just saying..

Since you enjoy it so much, here is another highly photoshopped picture of these terrible things on my car!!

See how badly it covers up the most important part of my mirror?

So much so that I can see 3 times more now and people are constantly complimenting them and asking where to get them for their non BMW cars..

In fact, I am so good at the photoshop thing I have never done, I even put a cowboy in there for you Hoss as a token of my affection. Just keep staring and have a nice weekend Jerk
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS

Last edited by VWAudi2BMW; 02-26-2020 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #88
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Semper Fi mac.
You are quite deluded if you think I did it for no reason.
Perhaps reading comprehension = /r/whoosh.
Great weekend to you also Felipe.

Last edited by Onizukachan; 02-21-2020 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0