F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 440i Initial Impressions
ARMA SPEED

03-22-2019, 04:08 PM   #45
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
Check the temperature dial between the vents and below the hazards button, as well as the temperature circulation settings. This all sounds like a case of "user error". My grandpa can relate.
Agree.

Many of the complaints about the HVAC are due to not understanding how we set up BMW's climate control, or users failing to read the user manual or watch the relevant videos.

My questions to the OP; what's the face vent temperature setting? What air flow intensity setting have you selected for auto mode?

Auto mode, set up to your preference, can be "set and forget".
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2019, 08:00 PM   #46
sugargenius
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinAZ View Post
OP, legitimat question: why did you buy the 440 and how much research and comparison to other cars did you do?

At this price point you should generally love your car, if not cut your losses and get something you like better.

With that said and no disrespect to happy 4 series owners, I myself would consider the 4 series the "most meh" of the BMW lineup. It is a huge lost opportunity for BMW to have created a more affordable version of a grand cruiser like the 6 or 8 series. Instead it is just a bloated 3 series with lacking headroom in the rear and more mediocre interior plastics to stretch the 3 series interior to fill the slightly larger cabin. I am basing this opinion on the loaners I had from the dealer and my own preferences for smaller vehicles. There may be people out there who love their 4s and I am truly happy for them as it is one of my goals in life to love the cars I am driving and to drive cars that I love.
In my 30 years of driving, I have owned dozens of cars. Some I loved. Some were ok. And, others I regretted buying. When I drove the 440i, I like the looks and and i liked the acceleration/handling. Both were clear upgrades over my old G37. After driving the 440 for a week (I've had it for 2 weeks but the first week it sat in airport parking), I've come to realize that i like handling/power but just about everything else is just ok.

I agree I should have researched more thoroughly. I am not trying to trash the car. I am just throwing out my honest opinion. If someone down the road reads my criticisms and evaluates them for themselves before buying, then I would consider that a positive contribution. What I don't understand are the attacks on me personally. If you don't fawn all over bmw, then you must be a troll or you "just don't get it".
Appreciate 1
BMWinAZ104.00
      03-22-2019, 08:05 PM   #47
sugargenius
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Agree.

Many of the complaints about the HVAC are due to not understanding how we set up BMW's climate control, or users failing to read the user manual or watch the relevant videos.

My questions to the OP; what's the face vent temperature setting? What air flow intensity setting have you selected for auto mode?

Auto mode, set up to your preference, can be "set and forget".
I admit I haven't had the time to thoroughly read the owner's manual. Of course, I can't recall needing to read an owner's manual to get the hvac to perform as desired. For the last 20 years, I've just dialed in a temp and pushed AUTO. I guess it's not that simple on this car.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #48
sugargenius
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
Check the temperature dial between the vents and below the hazards button, as well as the temperature circulation settings. This all sounds like a case of "user error". My grandpa can relate.
Never heard of "temperature circulation settings". Thanks for the knowledge. Grandpa, out.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #49
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Please post a pic of your new altima!
You seem jaded if you don't think that a cheaper car can do some things better than an entry level BMW.
Such as ???
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 02:18 AM   #50
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
Such as ???
Such as the Altima he's going to buy next week.

He can't even find the max/ac setting, hahahahha, oh and hahahahahahah and one more hahahahahaah. There's a button that actually says this on the hvac.

Appreciate 1
      03-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #51
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Such as ???
Such as the Altima he's going to buy next week.

He can't even find the max/ac setting, hahahahha, oh and hahahahahahah and one more hahahahahaah. There's a button that actually says this on the hvac.

But how about actually answering the question? The question was: " SUCH AS, exactly what things can a less expensive car do better than a BMW ?" I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, just want to know what things you have in mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #52
donkey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 6MT M2

Quote:
But how about actually answering the question? The question was: " SUCH AS, exactly what things can a less expensive car do better than a BMW ?" I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, just want to know what things you have in mind.
There are too many things to list. The great thing about BMW is that it's good at just about everything, but not the best at any one thing. A jack of all trades, master of none.

Maybe the OP liked the way the Altima was laid out better. That's fine, although I haven't driven an Altima to agree/disagree.

There are many things in my 27k GTI that I like more than my 57k 335i. LSD, better steering feel, better/comfier sport seats, better sound system, etc...

If I could keep only one car, all other factors aside, I'd still keep the 335i. But I'm not going to pretend that "Ultimate Driving Machine" is anything more than a marketing slogan.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #53
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are too many things to list. The great thing about BMW is that it's good at just about everything, but not the best at any one thing. A jack of all trades, master of none.

Maybe the OP liked the way the Altima was laid out better. That's fine, although I haven't driven an Altima to agree/disagree.

There are many things in my 27k GTI that I like more than my 57k 335i. LSD, better steering feel, better/comfier sport seats, better sound system, etc...

If I could keep only one car, all other factors aside, I'd still keep the 335i. But I'm not going to pretend that "Ultimate Driving Machine" is anything more than a marketing slogan.

Not a real LSD on the GTI.

Most VW dealers don't have enough loaners. Local dealer has 3, the next nearest one has ZERO.

Any issues with the BMW and they will probably just pull one worth twice the MSRP off the lot for you for something simple.

VW won't do that.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #54
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not a real LSD on the GTI.

Most VW dealers don't have enough loaners. Local dealer has 3, the next nearest one has ZERO.

Any issues with the BMW and they will probably just pull one worth twice the MSRP off the lot for you for something simple.

VW won't do that.
How is it not a real LSD on the GTI? It's not a fake brake actuated LSD like on non-M BMWs, and the effects of it are immediately apparent on a spirited drive. The only thing that separates it from a traditional LSD is the fact that it's electronically activated instead of mechanically, but the diff is still locked: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=23&t=1430576

When it comes to loaners, it depends on the dealer. My BMW dealership has given me Toyota Camrys for loaners 3/4 times (they also own a Toyota dealership).

I haven't had to get a loaner for my GTI

Last edited by donkey; 03-25-2019 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #55
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Please post a pic of your new altima!
All the Altima comments are really funny!! But, come on guys, let's be a bit friendly/welcoming and not make the OP feel bad, I think everyone is being a bit too harsh

I bought my first BMW(first car in US) little over a year ago and frankly, there wasn't a lot of research involved except the test drive which made me like the car instantly, even though it wasn't one of the better handling BMWs. I love the simple and classy interiors, nothing seems out of place.

@OP I'm sure it'll grow on you, you've chosen a great car, give it some time and you can find all the answers from a simple google search (to avoid all the bashing (Altima specific ) I read on this thread )
Coding the options that you are missing are pretty simple too, if you don't want to buy Bimmercode then it takes some research and time to set it up on a Windows PC but once you do then it's very simple. Or you could just buy Bimmercode, good luck and enjoy the new car
Appreciate 1
BMWinAZ104.00
      03-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #56
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How is it not a real LSD on the GTI? It's not a fake brake actuated LSD like on non-M BMWs, and the effects of it are immediately apparent on a spirited drive.

When it comes to loaners, it depends on the dealer. My BMW dealership has given me Toyota Camrys for loaners 3/4 times (they also own a Toyota dealership).

I haven't had to get a loaner for my GTI
Lucky the GTI sunroof doesn't leak!

GTI "LSD" is a clutch pack on the right axle, and it's not a real LSD. It just adds weight to the front (already very heavy) and doesn't do very much. But you knew that!

I've owned several GTI's over time, I don't think I will ever trust or own one again.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #57
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
I bought my first BMW(first car in US) little over a year ago and frankly...
My first one was a 1973 model tii. Welcome to the club!

woah those prices: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...le/bmw/2002tii
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:33 AM   #58
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Lucky the GTI sunroof doesn't leak!

GTI "LSD" is a clutch pack on the right axle, and it's not a real LSD. It just adds weight to the front (already very heavy) and doesn't do very much. But you knew that!

I've owned several GTI's over time, I don't think I will ever trust or own one again.
If you think that the GTI LSD system isn't better than BMW's e-diff, you're smoking crack. I have both at the same time, I'm not guessing which one is better.

And again, I'm not saying GTI is better at everything. Just that it does some things better.

I'd rather have a leaky sunroof than a fuel pump going out while driving. Or the airbag system randomly failing while driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:43 AM   #59
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you think that the GTI LSD system isn't better than BMW's e-diff, you're smoking crack. I have both at the same time, I'm not guessing which one is better.

And again, I'm not saying GTI is better at everything. Just that it does some things better.

I'd rather have a leaky sunroof than a fuel pump going out while driving. Or the airbag system randomly failing while driving.
Not what I was thinking, thanks though!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #60
donkey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not what I was thinking, thanks though!
Anytime
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #61
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugargenius View Post
In my 30 years of driving, I have owned dozens of cars. Some I loved. Some were ok. And, others I regretted buying. When I drove the 440i, I like the looks and and i liked the acceleration/handling. Both were clear upgrades over my old G37. After driving the 440 for a week (I've had it for 2 weeks but the first week it sat in airport parking), I've come to realize that i like handling/power but just about everything else is just ok.

I agree I should have researched more thoroughly. I am not trying to trash the car. I am just throwing out my honest opinion. If someone down the road reads my criticisms and evaluates them for themselves before buying, then I would consider that a positive contribution. What I don't understand are the attacks on me personally. If you don't fawn all over bmw, then you must be a troll or you "just don't get it".
I've been in the same boat several times in my life. Some cars just don't jive with the owners. Hate to say it (and this is not a personal attack in anyway) the only option is to cut your losses. I've done the same in the past and obviously lost $$, but looking back, I don't regret it one bit. Life is short, and as an auto enthusiast if i'm not driving something that makes me happy, I have to move on.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 12:29 PM   #62
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Quote:

Agree 100%.

I also have a 2018 GTI, and the steering feel is absolutely 2nd to none. The chassis is so well sorted and suspenders out of the box is just about perfect. The DSG in many ways superior to the ZF 8 as well.

That said, If I were to keep one car, it would be my GT because of it's little compromise. It may not have the perfect road manners, but for ME, I need AWD, I need the carnivorous trunk space, the GT makes more sense.

If I had to pick one car to commute on, the GTI is top of the list.

Now if the Golf R came with the sunroof in the US, I would be driving one right now. I looked at the S3, but not a fan at all of it's interior.
Appreciate 1
donkey464.00
      03-25-2019, 02:01 PM   #63
Derek Mc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i GC M-Sport

To the OP, I can relate in some ways so let me make this observation.
I have spent the last four years in a Mazda 6 (in a way a kindred spirit to an Altima as they compete in the same gene pool)
I have owned more BMW's as a make than any other and have been driving since passing my driving test in 1981.
I drove so many makes models and brands I cannot count, but to a car the one place I felt at home was, has been and probably now will always be, behind the wheel of a blue & white propeller.
BMW is my brand, I tried so very hard to fall for Mercedes I dabbled in Jag and drove Audi, but the aspects you find so alien are second nature to me the heating controls the 8 preset favourites, the OBC the way it ripples and settles on a full stop. The feel on the road. The double pump handles, the way it's tyres sounds on tarmac is unlike any other car, and the way it attacks a section of your favourite country back-road the steering has a finesse unparalleled.
I am not being flippant or contentious but it is a dna of the car thing, you might come to respect it but I don't think it's the brand you are really looking for to be honest, as I have to say having wandered and come back, if I never drove another make or brand than BMW till my end of days,,, I couldn't care less, it was a final lesson from really enjoying my Mazda, not realised till I test drove the F36, as it never became part of me.
Appreciate 1
BMWinAZ104.00
      03-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #64
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
My first one was a 1973 model tii. Welcome to the club!

woah those prices: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...le/bmw/2002tii
Thanks man! That's a good one, do you still have it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
Life is short, and as an auto enthusiast if i'm not driving something that makes me happy, I have to move on.
Exactly my thoughts when I traded in my old car just little over a year of having it, I'm much happier now, not that I wasn't with my previous car but there was so much missing. For me the thought also came with "I will never be this young again"
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #65
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Thanks man! That's a good one, do you still have it?

I wish! Even did the Ti carb conversion. Owned probably a 1/2 dozen 2002's back in the day. Fun cars, and it's crazy how time has evolved bmw's.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #66
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Oh, I agree with you 100%, don't get me wrong, but I am very unhappy with my 2017 440i and was curious here. In my opinion, BMW has bragged so much about "the Ultimate Driving machine" they actually believe it. BMW has decided to ignore the fact that some folks like to have a trouble free, inexpensive maintenance-wise auto AS WELL as one that drives/handles well. Take care
Appreciate 1
donkey464.00