F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > EGR Recall - 335d
Studio RSR

03-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #881
D123d325d330d
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 520d Xdrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernlight76 View Post
Does anyone know if the recall letters are linked to an up to date database? I took mine in for the recall in Oct to be told that my car looked fine and no further action required, but I’ve received a further 2 letters from BMW since then to book in for the recall (most recently this week).
BMW changed the cars they wanted to take action on. After taking mine in initially on Jan 2nd and being told I didn’t need the work doing, they picked up on the recall while it was in for a service a couple of weeks later and kept in to replace the parts. I contacted them about this and was told:
“...that BMW had modified the process for carrying out the rectification work on affected vehicles... which meant that the first time around no immediate action was required whereas on the 2nd visit, due to the requirements changing, action was now required and parts needing replacement.”

It could be that your one needs checking again and this time they might want to replace the parts... good luck with the wait, you may even end up with a Renault Kadjar!!!

Anyone know the cost of the work this would be normally? Obviously BMW are picking up the bill for the this but just wondered how much it would have cost us if we had to pick up the bill.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #882
TomJ79
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by D123d325d330d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernlight76 View Post
Does anyone know if the recall letters are linked to an up to date database? I took mine in for the recall in Oct to be told that my car looked fine and no further action required, but I've received a further 2 letters from BMW since then to book in for the recall (most recently this week).
BMW changed the cars they wanted to take action on. After taking mine in initially on Jan 2nd and being told I didn't need the work doing, they picked up on the recall while it was in for a service a couple of weeks later and kept in to replace the parts. I contacted them about this and was told:
"...that BMW had modified the process for carrying out the rectification work on affected vehicles... which meant that the first time around no immediate action was required whereas on the 2nd visit, due to the requirements changing, action was now required and parts needing replacement."

It could be that your one needs checking again and this time they might want to replace the parts... good luck with the wait, you may even end up with a Renault Kadjar!!!

Anyone know the cost of the work this would be normally? Obviously BMW are picking up the bill for the this but just wondered how much it would have cost us if we had to pick up the bill.
I've had the same, work all done but still getting letters. It's because on BMW UK's Austen it's showing as recall still outstanding against my chassis number. Internal process inefficiency! Dealer is getting me back in for a check up to make sure all ok, assume that's standard. Anyway, I put it entirely down to rubbish processes rather than it actually needing any more work!

**just re-read your post. Realise you said you got it checked but no work done...in that case I would probably take it in again and insist they change it over for the new part. I would anyway.**
      03-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #883
nik patel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport Pro G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalux View Post
Got the 330d back after 6 weeks worth of constant fobbing off. Halliwell Jones in Chester is really .

Returned the hire car - got slapped with £250 excess fee for tiny windscreen damage. Need to think about how I'm going to tackle this one as the dealer refused to cover it.

Went to pick up my car, the dealer tried to charge me nearly £60 for the MOT which expired whilst the car was impounded. I made a comment that I was forced to get it done at their dealership and after speaking to the manager they knocked it off.

No paperwork was provided for the EGR, asked for it to be emailed to me later but I doubt they will.

The car passed MOT but as an advisory thing, it was highlighted that one of the tyres is close to the legal limit. I checked all the tyres a few days before dropping the car off at the dealership and I know for a fact they were all 5mm+. Upon closer inspection, I noticed all the wheels were taken off because I had them refurbished and new genuine centre caps put in (old ones were corroded) but all centre caps were corroded and worn out. When I queried this with the person in charge of my case her reply was "We wouldn't have done that". She had a quick look at the car, asked me for a proof of invoice for new centre caps which I showed her. She then went to speak to a manager again. After a while, she returned with new centre caps to basically fob me off. I'm still not convinced about one of the tyres, not sure how to tackle that one.

As much as I love BMW cars, I hate the main BMW dealers.

Heads up to those potentially interested - my 330d will be listed for sale later today/tomorrow.

That's a crazy story about the centre caps, sounds like they were using your car??
      03-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #884
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshpmc View Post
I bought an approved used F31 335d 2 weeks ago. The day after I picked it up the engine light came on. The car drove normal, I called the dealer and booked it in to be checked as it has warranty. After leaving the car at the dealers I got the dreaded call a few hours later, I needed a new EGR valve and cooler. The strange thing is my car was checked for the recall in October by a different dealer and was given the all clear.
Now I’m stuck in a VW sharan from enterprise for the foreseeable, the dealer has told me to expect to be without my car for around 6-8 weeks!
Tell them you will cancel the sale unless they put you in something decent?

We're confident in the quality of our BMW Approved Used Cars. So confident in fact that if we can't resolve a fault that occurs within the first 30 days or 1,000 miles of your ownership (whichever is sooner), you'll be entitled to an exchange, or refund if an appropriate exchange can't be found.

This doesn't affect your statutory rights.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #885
Rbonzo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530d f10

Almost 7 weeks in and I've had a phone call from Cotswold BMW, my car is ready to be collected!!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #886
Dayseldan
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d

So 5 weeks to the day and I have it back...

Have a long spin tomorrow evening so will report back on mpg and power change if any...

Bad news. Some pillock has scuffed the bottom of the front bumper taking if of a trailer at some stage.. More fun tomorrow morning sorting that
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #887
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

5 weeks and still going

Phoned BMW dealer yesterday and told the part is in and car would be ready today. I should phone around lunch time if I hadn't heard anything

So called at 12:00 left message for service rep. Called at 13:00 left message. Called at 14:00 left message. Called at 15:00 and spoke to another service rep who told me my car wouldn't be ready and their very busy

Busy doing other cars like services, I asked if they waited 5 weeks for their bloody service. He replied saying yes, I called BS, doubt their car off the road for 5 weeks to carry out a oil change

This is the first time I lost it with the dealer as before its been BMW UK and Germany at fault

Now its the dealers mess

Over promise and under deliver was my words to him

Anyway I told him to get ready as i'm coming up, was working from home waiting for my car which is not going to happen now

During my drive to the dealership the service rep replied to my messages and told me it was pointless coming up, the car is not ready. I explained I was already in car park and now walking though the doors

I caught him put the phone down and exit into the back office

I took a seat in the main waiting area and then a young kid came up and attempted to explain the problem

I've had a long ongoing problem with them and they covered up loads of problems in Dec 2018 saying my car required the EGR but I could carry on driving it. I then found out the part wasn't ordered and they had never checked it. They had run out of time during the oil service but covered it up or fobbed me off. They also emailed my details to over 50 customers during a dealership post service questionnaire and then started getting REPLY TO ALL from other customers.

I explained GDPR to the young chap and how I was about to kick off

At this point customers were looking and the service manager turned up and asked me to carry on in his private office

Meanwhile I don't have my car or date. But they agreed they shouldn't have over promised or told me the part was in stock pending installation

Meanwhile my BMW connect drive iPhone APP can no longer find my car. They believe the battery is flat, so they will charge it up.....how kind of them

Very upset
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #888
fatboy_coach
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D

I'm 5 weeks in and BMW have has the car almost as long as I owned it prior to them taking it in! I don't mind the Pug 2008 but the missus is on her second, so it looks like we have his and hers!

I get texts every other day to say no parts available but a guy at work had his 320D turned around in 3 days once the light came on, I'm on a 330D so I guess they may be different part?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #889
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy_coach View Post
I'm 5 weeks in and BMW have has the car almost as long as I owned it prior to them taking it in! I don't mind the Pug 2008 but the missus is on her second, so it looks like we have his and hers!

I get texts every other day to say no parts available but a guy at work had his 320D turned around in 3 days once the light came on, I'm on a 330D so I guess they may be different part?
The six cylinder part is the one in shortest supply from what I read on here.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #890
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
The six cylinder part is the one in shortest supply from what I read on here.
My car went in 6 months ago in September - I was allowed to keep the car but told I would need a new cooler in December, January... Now when I call they don't even pretend to know when to expect the part.

I'm keen to have this replaced well before the summer, as we appeared to get quite a few more EGR-related fires on hot days.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #891
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep

Got my car back 30 minutes ago. Well after nearly 6 weeks they tell me its ready and cleaned. So why is there weeds/mold growing out the window seals....

My car was detailed before going in and this......

SO F***** UPSET
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:39 PM   #892
RickLS7
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 435D, Boxster 981S

Had my car checked by Wollaston motors 6 weeks ago and was reported ok and today I received another recall letter for the same thing.
Anyone know how I can check why? either it's because the useless tossers at Wollaston never recorded the check being carried out or my EGR valve is now deemed dodgy.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:16 AM   #893
sploo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLS7 View Post
Had my car checked by Wollaston motors 6 weeks ago and was reported ok and today I received another recall letter for the same thing.
Anyone know how I can check why? either it's because the useless tossers at Wollaston never recorded the check being carried out or my EGR valve is now deemed dodgy.
I received a second recall letter, after my EGR was changed, so I assume there's a big delay (or complete disconnect) in the loop between dealers and BMW.

Probably best to just call the dealer to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 01:16 AM   #894
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
My car went in 6 months ago in September - I was allowed to keep the car but told I would need a new cooler in December, January... Now when I call they don't even pretend to know when to expect the part.

I'm keen to have this replaced well before the summer, as we appeared to get quite a few more EGR-related fires on hot days.
You need to make a fuss - it looks like the average wait time for a 6 cylinder is around 7 weeks.

If you were having a rented car, thus costing BMW money, then you would be more of a priority.

Additionally driving a car that knowingly may catch fire probably invalidates your insurance
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 04:04 AM   #895
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlees View Post
You need to make a fuss - it looks like the average wait time for a 6 cylinder is around 7 weeks.

If you were having a rented car, thus costing BMW money, then you would be more of a priority.

Additionally driving a car that knowingly may catch fire probably invalidates your insurance
The dealer tell me that when BMW sends the coolers out to them, it is for a specific car / chassis number, therefore my delay is out of their hands. Of course this might just be dealer BS to get customers off their back. I believe that they still have 15-20 quarantined cars so I imagine that, as you say, BMW is prioritising these.

The responsibility for a fire still has to rest with either BMW or my insurance company, given that I have no choice but to accept BMW's assessment of my car, I believe. I will chase my dealer again though.

I'm not sure which option I prefer though - neither sound very pleasant - a Vauxhall Mokka loan car, or a fiery death on the hard shoulder
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 04:45 AM   #896
Steces
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 530d

^^^^ youve clearly never driven a Mokka, I have....
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 05:56 AM   #897
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post

The dealer tell me that when BMW sends the coolers out to them, it is for a specific car / chassis number, therefore my delay is out of their hands. Of course this might just be dealer BS to get customers off their back. I believe that they still have 15-20 quarantined cars so I imagine that, as you say, BMW is prioritising these.

The responsibility for a fire still has to rest with either BMW or my insurance company, given that I have no choice but to accept BMW's assessment of my car, I believe. I will chase my dealer again though.

I'm not sure which option I prefer though - neither sound very pleasant - a Vauxhall Mokka loan car, or a fiery death on the hard shoulder

make more fuss - I asked for 4x4 diesel and 3l - ie the same as mine - and that's what I got for a rental

The specific chassis/car rhetoric, according to my stealer is sphericals, 20 arrived on the Friday and one was located to my car and then fitted.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #898
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Just picked up mine from North Oxford BMW, 5 star service as usual. They had me turned around in 8 days after initial estimate of 6 weeks. Seems they had a large quantity of EGR coolers and pipework delivered on Friday to help clear the backlog and worked through the weekend to fit to customer cars, so top marks to them
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #899
beerglass007
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steces View Post
^^^^ youve clearly never driven a Mokka, I have....
LOL

Clearly he hasn't
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #900
Simon645
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d x drive 2015

Beemer gone after terrible dealer/ bmw service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon645 View Post
My 2015 bmw 335 x drive touring has been in my dealers compound for over 6 weeks awaiting part to do the recall !
Ant
Anybody else had the recall done and delay time is atrocious?
:

After getting my 335 back after all the delays, bad dealer service, bmw customer service no better, sold the car, heart not in it anymore, bought a New Audi S3 👍
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #901
nik patel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport Pro G20

Well mine went in a couple of days ago and they said it needs a new EGR. They said it will take a couple of days to 2 months!
They have given me a 320d F31 M sport brand new with 12 miles so Im happy to drive this in the meantime
      04-04-2019, 05:41 AM   #902
N-W
oOOo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Mine went in a few days ago, no ETA but been provided with a 68 plate F30 320d M Sport.

A work colleague took his 520d in and had it back with EGR replaced within a week. Must be like others have said, it's taking longer for the 6 cylinders.
Appreciate 0