F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Mods on F30
GetBMWParts

11-20-2018, 08:11 AM   #1
nperamof30
Koko
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320

Exclamation Mods on F30

Hey guys, been having a tough time finding the right exhaust muffler for my 320i... My car's muffler is faced horizontally rather than vertically and when I search mufflers online, all the ones I find are vertical. I know I can install a vertical muffler but I don't want to deal with the extra labor for my car... Does anyone have suggestions for this or know a site I can get a muffler off of that can perfectly fit my car without having to do any extra work than necessary?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

You're trying to put a universal muffler on a BMW?

Buy an exhaust system
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      11-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nperamof30 View Post
Hey guys, been having a tough time finding the right exhaust muffler for my 320i... My car's muffler is faced horizontally rather than vertically and when I search mufflers online, all the ones I find are vertical. I know I can install a vertical muffler but I don't want to deal with the extra labor for my car... Does anyone have suggestions for this or know a site I can get a muffler off of that can perfectly fit my car without having to do any extra work than necessary?
There's a few really good options but you will need to spend $500+ at the BARE MINIMUM.

Part of the reason some people wait a bit considering there in no performance gain to be had.

M-Performance
AWE
Remus
Akrapovic
Dinan

Those are some popular choices. I know Im missing a few.
Appreciate 2
rjd_F301999.50
bheng8978.50
      11-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
N420i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 420i lightly modded

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post

Buy an exhaust system

Not every bimmer has a 60k MSRP and not every BMW owner can shell out 2k (or 1k plus labor at the very minimum) for a bespoke exhaust system or 3k for OEM 18" rims... Some of us just wanted RWD uber alles and had no other decent choice but base model BMWs (particularly in europe) and then we make do with what we have.

I've read an unusual number of comments lately that read along the lines of "you are not deserving of owning a BMW if you can't afford to pay whatever extortionate amount the boutique firms are asking for X component"

Screw that, it's his car and if he wants to replace his exhaust with a toilet paper roll or a 6k$ Capristo it's his call. After all a muffler is not going to harm performance or reliability in any way unless it's a complete piece of crap, which generic mufflers can but don't have to be.

If I were the OP and was unwilling to shell out 1k for the BMW MPerf Exhaust which in my opinion is probably the best option, I'd probably visit a custom exhaust shop and ask what they can do for you. It's definately gonna be more expensive than ordering something online, but the amount of welding and tube-bending required to make something like that work is probably beyond the capabilites of the average garage toolbox...

You not only have inlet and exhaust diameters and positioning, but also hangers and how the can fits in the chassis... Doing all of this yourself can be a huge nightmare unless REALLY experienced and some welding will definately be required...
Appreciate 3
      11-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
While we are on the topic:

WHO MAKES THE CHEAPEST AXLE BACK FOR THE N20/N26 ?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
N420i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
There's a few really good options but you will need to spend $500+ at the BARE MINIMUM.

Part of the reason some people wait a bit considering there in no performance gain to be had.

M-Performance
AWE
Remus
Akrapovic
Dinan

Those are some popular choices. I know Im missing a few.
500$ at the bare minimum indeed... I'm looking for a muffler too and as far as I can recall...

M-Performance 1000+$
AWE 1000$
Remus 650$
Akrapovic no idea but I'd be willing to bet well over 1000$
Dinan Again not sure but dinan is definately not cheap, well over 1000$

AFAIK the only options that are somewhat significantly below 1k are Remus and SuperSprint, and they are both well over 500$....
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #7
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N420i View Post
Quote:

Buy an exhaust system

Not every bimmer has a 60k MSRP and not every BMW owner can shell out 2k (or 1k plus labor at the very minimum) for a bespoke exhaust system or 3k for OEM 18" rims... Some of us just wanted RWD uber alles and had no other decent choice but base model BMWs (particularly in europe) and then we make do with what we have.

I've read an unusual number of comments lately that read along the lines of "you are not deserving of owning a BMW if you can't afford to pay whatever extortionate amount the boutique firms are asking for X component"

Screw that, it's his car and if he wants to replace his exhaust with a toilet paper roll or a 6k$ Capristo it's his call. After all a muffler is not going to harm performance or reliability in any way unless it's a complete piece of crap, which generic mufflers can but don't have to be.

If I were the OP and was unwilling to shell out 1k for the BMW MPerf Exhaust which in my opinion is probably the best option, I'd probably visit a custom exhaust shop and ask what they can do for you. It's definately gonna be more expensive than ordering something online, but the amount of welding and tube-bending required to make something like that work is probably beyond the capabilites of the average garage toolbox...

You not only have inlet and exhaust diameters and positioning, but also hangers and how the can fits in the chassis... Doing all of this yourself can be a huge nightmare unless REALLY experienced and some welding will definately be required...
Sorry. You can't come to a bmw forum and expect help on mods that belong on a 1995 civic
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

Quote:
Sorry. You can't come to a bmw forum and expect help on mods that belong on a 1995 civic
Not trying to incite any sort of debate on this, but civic mods can get pricey too. There's just a wealth of cheaper aftermarket options than there are for BMW. But I think all N420i was trying to get at is that we all come from all walks of life. Let's just enjoy the the journey of modding and sharing knowledge together as a community.

Quote:
500$ at the bare minimum indeed... I'm looking for a muffler too and as far as I can recall...

M-Performance 1000+$
AWE 1000$
Remus 650$

AFAIK the only options that are somewhat significantly below 1k are Remus and SuperSprint, and they are both well over 500$....
Active Autowerke has their exhaust for ~$600. You can search the used market too. MPE can be had for about 600 used as well. Modding sure is expensive but there are ways for cheaper parts. Check out our classifieds section.

I personally went with the MPE. But if I had to do it again and wanted new, I would probably go with AA.

2019 440i xDrive | Muffler Delete |

Last edited by bheng89; 11-20-2018 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 3
      11-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #9
N420i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sorry us guys modding with what we've got are eroding the image you bought into when you chose the brand... If that's really what you want you should have chosen a brand that doesn't sell cheaper versions of your car, lest someone think you spent 20k less than you actually did...

It's a car and can be tuned like any other car. There's nothing at all tangibly special about BMW besides the fact they are one of the only 2 european RWD options left... And not for long, apparently.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #10
N420i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheng89 View Post
Not to incite any sort of debate on this, but civic mods can get pricey too. There's just a wealth of cheaper aftermarket options than there are for BMW. But I think all N420i was trying to get at is that we all come from all walks of life. Let's just enjoy just the the journey of modding and sharing knowledge together as a community.

Active Autowerke has their exhaust for ~$600. you can search the used market too. MPE can be had for about 600 used as well. modding sure is expensive but there are ways for cheaper parts. Check out our classifieds section.

AA is only available for N20 engines as of yet. But they'll be coming out with a B48 version for sure...

OP doesn't specify which engine he has in his 320i, but even if it's a B48 the N20 exhausts can be fitted with a little work. Definately MUCH LESS work than adapting a generic muffler.

Quote:
I personally went with the MPE. But if I had to do it again and wanted new, I would probably go with AA.
How come? Price, noise? I'm all but set on the MPE atm since i'm looking for sth that sounds nice but wont roar down the street when paired with a catless DP...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
AA is only available for N20 engines as of yet. But they'll be coming out with a B48 version for sure...

OP doesn't specify which engine he has in his 320i, but even if it's a B48 the N20 exhausts can be fitted with a little work. Definately MUCH LESS work than adapting a generic muffler.

How come? Price, noise? I'm all but set on the MPE atm since i'm looking for sth that sounds nice but wont roar down the street when paired with a catless DP...
I like the way the MPE sounded and wanted the actuator. Somewhat quiet while driving moderately and more aggressive when spirited driving. I don't think AA retains that actuator. After driving for some time with the MPE, I found that I rather have it open all the time.

I would check out the N20 section. There are a could guys doing a sound test bit; which is think is pretty cool. There is a user with MPE and catless too. I think the MPE has a mild sound out of the bunch of exhaust.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #12
nperamof30
Koko
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320

Quote:

M-Performance 1000+$
AWE 1000$
Remus 650$

You are right... I'd love a Borla exhaust system but that is well over 1k too, why I have been looking at Borla mufflers but they are a universal fit and would not be fit well on my 320... At this point I have heard downpipes with a tune is good but exhausts are also good as well.

A lot of performance parts are cost-effective, depending on what kind of car you have. Good luck!

I have been looking for parts since the summer and have yet to find anything good for my car that would not be cost effective towards me. But also buying cheap parts would not be good either.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #13
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

If you are looking to add power, then I would go for a intercooler (and connecting bits), downpipe and tune. Intake and exhaust don't really add power, but do make good noises.

However at the end of the day, the best mod to drive faster is ..... driver mod. High performance driving schools/classes will significantly improve your skill and speed.
Appreciate 1
Beek707.00
      11-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #14
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

With the amount of people who lease these cars being so high there are tons of used axlebacks available, not just on here either. I got a lightly used MPE for my car for $375 and that was one of two available locally at the time near that price.

I wouldn't reccomend a universal kit on ANY car because 1) there is no way to know if the sound will be a good match to the motor and/or if it'll drone a lot and 2) with custom fabrication all that money saved on parts goes out the window and creates nightmares when that cheap shit inevitably rots out.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #15
N420i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I like the way the MPE sounded and wanted the actuator. Somewhat quiet while driving moderately and more aggressive when spirited driving. I don't think AA retains that actuator. After driving for some time with the MPE, I found that I rather have it open all the time.
Having it open all the time is basically what I'll be doing since my 420i doesn't have teh electronics to control the actuator... Alternatively you could code it out btw, if you like it open all the time, and that'll save you having to shell out for the AA if you like the sound of the MPE with the valve open.

Man if I could get a secondhand one for 400$ as MacklinUSOB suggests it might even be worth it to ship it across the atlantic... The secondhand market is DRY in Spain, the leasing culture is nowhere near as ingrained as it is in the US.

Macklin... You son of a bitch... What a great show!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #16
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Having it open all the time is basically what I'll be doing since my 420i doesn't have teh electronics to control the actuator... Alternatively you could code it out btw, if you like it open all the time, and that'll save you having to shell out for the AA if you like the sound of the MPE with the valve open.

Man if I could get a secondhand one for 400$ as MacklinUSOB suggests it might even be worth it to ship it across the atlantic... The secondhand market is DRY in Spain, the leasing culture is nowhere near as ingrained as it is in the US.

Shipping would definitely bring up that cost. I have to looking into coding to get the exhaust flap open. maybe after winter season ends. Any chance for the used market on Ebay for Spain?

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #17
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I am one of those who prefers the flap stuck open. My actuator broke while at Lime Rock this year and I tied it open with picture wire on the way home, never looked back.

Ahhhh, didn't see Spain, that definitely complicates sourcing. I'm not sure if I'd reccomend the international shipping route just because it is pretty dang heavy and I'm not sure how emissions related items fare in customs, I just wish I had an alternative to offer.

Glad to see P&R appreciated over there as well!
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 03:28 AM   #18
N420i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Shipping would definitely bring up that cost. I have to looking into coding to get the exhaust flap open. maybe after winter season ends. Any chance for the used market on Ebay for Spain?
Ebay Spain sucks compared to ebay US and UK, it's mainly just a portal to Aliexpress here... I've been scouring ebay.co.uk but not many MPEs seem to be turning up...

Here what hits hard for secondhand stuff are apps like Wallapop and Milanuncios, which are more akin to Craigslist in the US. I'm always keeping an eye open on those but again, nothing seems to be turning up.

I've only been looking for a couple of months so I'm guessing patience is the name of the game here. Either Miss Patience or Mr. Thousand Euros...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
I am one of those who prefers the flap stuck open. My actuator broke while at Lime Rock this year and I tied it open with picture wire on the way home, never looked back.

Ahhhh, didn't see Spain, that definitely complicates sourcing. I'm not sure if I'd reccomend the international shipping route just because it is pretty dang heavy and I'm not sure how emissions related items fare in customs, I just wish I had an alternative to offer.

Glad to see P&R appreciated over there as well!
Yep just shipping small stuff from the US is rarely less than a 30$ hit, and then customs... But then again if shipping a heavy exhaust via the cheapest option is a couple of hundred bucks and I get the exhaust for 400, coupled with the exchange rate I'd still be about 400€ under the NIB price...

P&R isn't all that big in Spain but me and my GF watch only American shows to keep our language skills sharp. Use it or lose it!

P&R is amazing, as was The Office. We've watched through them twice each and I'm sure there'll be a third rewatch in the future...
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2018, 05:30 AM   #19
N420i
Private First Class
Rep

How about that. 20 minutes after posting the above, I had another look at wallapop and found the FIRST MPE i've seen there since I started looking. Almost new, in box, with original invoice, for 700€. I managed to talk him down to 600 and i'm picking it up tomorrow since the guy's local so I don't even have to get it shipped... YAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!

Don't give up nperamof30 ! Keep searching the classifieds and something might turn up!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 08:38 AM   #20
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OP, I found this post with of a magnaflow exhaust, I didn't look into pricing but it's all kinda subjective on what you want your car to sound like.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...93&postcount=4

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #21
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How about that. 20 minutes after posting the above, I had another look at wallapop and found the FIRST MPE i've seen there since I started looking. Almost new, in box, with original invoice, for 700€. I managed to talk him down to 600 and i'm picking it up tomorrow since the guy's local so I don't even have to get it shipped... YAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!

Don't give up nperamof30 ! Keep searching the classifieds and something might turn up!
EXCELLENT. Nice find. That's not a bad price at all considering what you were just considering doing to source one!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #22
N420i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
EXCELLENT. Nice find. That's not a bad price at all considering what you were just considering doing to source one!
Indeed! Not cheap, but 500€ cheaper than buying from a dealer and 350€ cheaper than sourcing it from the leebman24 or salesafter pages. It is a little more than I wanted to pay, but seeing as they aren't exactly a dime a dozen I though I'd jump at the chance!

Hopefully I'll get it installed this friday or saturday. I am pending on a trackday on Sunday, subject to it not raining... If it doesn't rain I might be breaking it in rather quickly
Appreciate 0